Powder Board Suggestions! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder Board Suggestions!

Hey guys,

I come here to ask you guys some suggestions. I'm trying to make a purchase and I figured there would be no where better to ask some board junkies for advice than here.

Weight:200
Height:5'11"

Currently I ride a 156 GNU Park Pickle(twin). I really like this board for riding groomers. I like that with the reverse camber it's almost impossible to catch an edge. One thing I dislike about the board is it's hard to shred through choppy stuff and I find myself getting shot over the bumpy stuff when speed checking. I don't like jibbing it hurts too much now that I'm 30. I really just enjoy shredding and small to medium jumps, and ollieing off every roller I can.

I have done a few back country trips and I had the chance to ride a Burton Fish, and a Burton Mololo. These boards rode so wicked in the powder. I really like the s-rocker. When I do my cat trips they always provide a powder board so I really don't need to buy a strictly powder board. I might buy a fish next year anyways. I know one of these boards would be awesome to own, but I don't think they would fair well on groomers. If I had my choice I'd never ride a groomer again, but lets be realistic. Cat's and Heli's get expensive real quick, and I'm too old and no where good enough to get sponsored lol.

On Jan. 3 I was at Mt. Washington(Vancouver Island) and we got about 40 cm in one day. There was waist deep powder in the drifts. The park pickle held up fine to ride straight through the powder but was too floppy to carve powder in the steep terrain. The whole time I was riding I was thinking I wish I was on a mololo or fish right now. As well after setting my bindings back and setting up directional to do well in the pow, I left it like this the next time I rode groomers. I realized how much more I like riding a directional than a twin.

So I need to find a directional board I can ride on groomers, and will do very well in powder. I need a board that can get me through the choppy shit when I'm heading to the backside on mountains to find the powder stash. I need a board that after I'm done hiking, and riding pow will ride nicely on the groomers and will make groomers still enjoyable. If I can find a board that is great for landing jumps and ollieing mixed in with my requirements all the better. I would like to be able to bring my board to back country too rather than always using there s-rockers. I'd like to try something different for a change. I know I'm asking for a lot in one board but I'm sure there is something out there for me.

I do have a thing for lib-tech's but I'm not opposed to hearing about boards from the smaller custom manufacturers. I know the quality is high with these boards and they are cheaper. I just haven't had the time to put in the kind of research to find a board that would be best suited to my needs.

This is where you guys come in. I know a lot of you guys are so passionate about boarding you know the differences between different manufacturer's models. I'm hoping some of you can make some suggestions and I can further do some research to get me my versatile dream board. Thanks for hearing me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bobby Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I like the Salomon sick stick and the K2 Gyrator , pow boards are generally high end spendy though :-(
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rooster King

if you can make sure you can get a clean one, a Jones hovercraft. maybe a Burton Nug
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Salomon Powder Snake, killer board - only $399. It's similar to the Sick Stick but without the bamboo.

Or if you want to get more spendy, try the ride slackcountry. It will plow through anything, and is unbelievable in powder.

Arbor Coda/ElementRX would be killer too. Tons of pop and great in powder.

Something a little more aggressive would be the ride highlife, you can take that board anywhere, it will destroy any terrain you can throw at it. It's super surfy in powder, but real stiff and damp so you can stomp over any mid-day chunder. A similar board would be Jakey B's Ride Berzerker, it's a little more playful, better all around board.

Now only the first two are powder specific boards, the others are great in pow, but will do better when you're not in fresh snow.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
I like the Salomon sick stick and the K2 Gyrator , pow boards are generally high end spendy though :-(
My K2 Gyrator is probably the most fun powder board I've ever ridden.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds to me like you're looking for an all-mountain board that will be really good in pow, not a true powder board. My Charlie Slasher will get me down the hill on a groomer, but it isn't as fun as my Raygun.

I'd look at something like a K2 Turbo Dream. It's similar in shape to my Raygun but a little stiffer and damper, and the flex and lack of dampening are the only things I don't like about the Raygun.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Salomon sick stick

-They call this an all mountain to powder snowboard. This board seems like more of a powder board to me so I'm not too interested in it at this point as I need a board for those groomers and choppy stuff.

K2 Gyrator

-This board looks like a lot of fun, but I'm skeptical of how well it's going to work for carving in powder. My current board is a reverse camber, and I am looking for something with a blend. I really like the 1" stance setback on this board.

Burton Nug

-Way to small for me

Jones Hovercraft

-This board looks like a dream to ride in the back country. I'm very skeptical about using a design like this on a resort on any other day then an epic powder day.

Salomon Powder Snake

-Wow a board built for powder and park? Interesting. Anyone ride this on groomers?

Ride Slackcountry

-I'm very interested in this board. It has a 3/4" setback. It has highrize(slightly higher rocker in the nose than the tail and nearly flat under foot). I am really trying to find a board with some camber in it as well but this board has piqued my interest.

Arbor Coda

-Wow this board looks awesome and I know a small shop near me carries arbor. Thanks for recommending it. If they made this in a directional I'd be all over this. I guess I could ride it back on the holes but would it perform as well as a true directional?

Ride Berzerker

-I'm very interested in this board. Jake Blauvelt is one of my favorite riders. Featuring rocker in the nose and a level micro-camber zone extending under the feet and through the tail, the new Hybrid All Mountain shape provides the perfect blend to charge it all. Has anyone rode this in the powder and on groomers?

Ride Highlife UL Snowboard

-This board is very similar to the berzerker and it's 60 more. The specs are very similar. It's around 50 more than the berzerker

K2 Turbo dream.

-This board looks like alot of fun. It has a lot of pop and is directional. The only thing I don't like is there is no camber in it. I bet this would be fun on a resort. Has anyone rode this backcountry? How did it perform?

Libtech La Nina MC

-There description says "The La Niņa is a directional shape banana in the front, rocker between your feet and camber (C1) in the back design with Magne-Traction. Matt rides a lot of resort accessible steep pow terrain and the often brutal, to the point of comedy, terrain necessary to get in and out of the pow stashes and then hits every jib or cat track hit on the way back to the lift."

Has anyone tried this board? It does look interesting. By there description it does sound like what I need, however I don't trust the marketers that write this shit!

So far I'm the most interested in:
Arbor Coda(Would love this in a directional)
Ride Berzerker
Ride Highlife UL
Libtech La Nina

It would be nice if I could hear first hand accounts of how these ride. I'm off to do some more interest. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread so far.
Bobby Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes - Big City, rode one last weekend. Really a fun board. Holds great on groomers and ripped through 10 inches of 2 day old snow. I'm thinking about picking one up for myself.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 for the Big City and Coda
Adding Burton Sherlock
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Budds View Post

K2 Gyrator

-This board looks like a lot of fun, but I'm skeptical of how well it's going to work for carving in powder. My current board is a reverse camber, and I am looking for something with a blend. I really like the 1" stance setback on this board.

K2 Turbo dream.

-This board looks like alot of fun. It has a lot of pop and is directional. The only thing I don't like is there is no camber in it. I bet this would be fun on a resort. Has anyone rode this backcountry? How did it perform?
The Gyrator is considerably rated at the top of of PURE pow boards , probably not ideal for groomers but regardless a really really bad ass aboard.

The K2 TurboDream is the board they modeled their Panoramic backcountry Split board off of , it's like an "all mountain powder board" , I'm 5'11, weigh 185Lbs, ride the 157 wide and leave everyone behind on POW days except those that have dedicated powder boards. It has reverse camber up from and a very small amount in back.

I would also 2nd the pow snake especially at that price and trust me you WANT reverse camber or flat camber for a pow stick.

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 01-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote