V-Rocker question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default V-Rocker question

I've been snowboarding for a while but I got my first real soft park board this season. I've been having fun with the v-rocker shape and soft flex until I hit the diamond slopes. This Burton Hero's edges just don't seem to have any hold what so ever on steeper terrain. I just can't carve any turns without the board slipping out from under me. It is a bit icy but my se7en handles it without much of an issue at all. I knew there would be a difference but I didn't think it would be this drastic.

I just wanted to know if this was normal for a v-rocker compared to a cambered board or if theres something I can do to fix this. I lost my edge sharpener over the summer but I was thinking about sharpening the edges to 88 degrees, but if there isn't much that can be done than I wont bother.
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I probably wouldn't bother. Its a soft full rocker park stick. Its just not going to grip like your camber board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What model burton do you have?

The V-Rocker won't be as stable as a traditional camber, but it sounds as if your problem is not related to stability.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's normal.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
d15

IMO, yes you'll have trouble with V-Rocker going down steeper slopes or ice. Think of your board as a swivel, or dredel spinning around in the middle. The V-Rocker offers tremendous "swiveling" ability while your on your board, but compromises edge hold and initiation.

Any board with raised edges (Bataleon 3D bases) or reserve-V cambers will have delayed grip or reduced grip compared to camber.

If you don't want to ride camber, but want to stay with some sort of hybrid camber, try looking for a board with slight reverse parabolic camber, such as the Banana tech or MtnPop rocker from Rome. These boards either have a mellower "U" shape, or a camber & rocker combo.

I had the Nitro Sub Pop which featured Gullwing rocker, an extreme version of the V-Rocker. I can totally understand the instability you talk about, especially on ice. I also had a Bataleon Goliath with Triple Base tech and edge initiation is definitely delayed, and sometimes in steep situations the edge grip just didn't cut it.

Get a board that has a combo of a flat section and/or camber with rocker, instead of purely V-Rocker.

Sharpening your edges won't help.
d15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok thats what I needed to know. Its been an excellent board to ride in the park or to play around on green slopes but I guess if they could make one board do it all there wouldn't be so many to choose from.
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gullwing is not extreme v-rocker. It's mellow rocker between your feet then enough camber in the tips to level back your tips back out. So its a mellower version or NS RC with a little less camber in the tips. Your Sub Pop was unstable cause it is one of the top 5 softest boards out there. Gullwing itself is characteristically very stable.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote