issues with my T.Rice/ first encounter with RC boards. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default issues with my T.Rice/ first encounter with RC boards.

Just Picked up a T. Rice HP 153 and rode it for the first time in Revelstoke BC over the weekend. and i ran into a couple issues..maybe someone here can point me in the right direction !

stats:

i'm 145lbs 5'10 and wear a size 10 boot.

i've been riding 7 years on a regular 154cm cambered Ride board. (probably 6 to 7 out of 10 in stiffness) mainly pow/steeps/moogles/trees and some grooms.

i found with the T rice, it was almost impossble for me to NOT over carve, every turn.. also found it very sentivive to the power/moogles.. i'm wondering if this is because it's an HP and it's not as stiff as the regular? i feel as if it's almost TOO flexible.. i get bounced back on my momentum on every edge. also harder to find a balance as well..

i initially had a 161.5 T rice, and was afraid it would be too big for me, so i sized down to a 153cm HP.. now that i've physcially tried the 153cm HP for 2 days im almost positive it's too short for me and not meant for power/moogles/rough patches..

my friend who was observing me, said i don't need to carve as agressive as i do for the t rice. but i feel i can't carve well period with the t rice, except on grooms. in moogles and powder it's brutal.

so my questions is.. is this board too short for me? and i should size back up to a 157 or 161.5?

OR

should i try giving NS a try and go for one of their more powder oriented boards? and also size up?

OR is the 153cm HP fine for me i just need to get use to it? ( when you ride cambered boards all your life, trying a reverse camber for the first time can be very different i guess )

not sure which way to approache this, or which board i need to buy next ! please help i just want to have a board i can use for my style of riding on my next upcoming trip in 3 weeks !!
vcka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
It ain`t easy being steezy

The feel when carving is just because you've never ridden a rocker before. A few weeks ago when I demo'd a couple I felt it too, but it didn't give me any trouble and I liked the feel of it. If the old 154 ride floats you good in powder then the HP should be fine, you just need to get used to the different feel of it. The length is really a personal prefrence, especially riding powder. Going by your weight you're on the right size board, could even go shorter for park riding, but if you like the feel of a longer board go for it.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
mjd

over-carving? power-moogle-patches? it's probably not the right board for you.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are just getting used to R/C. It may personally be too small for how you like, but it would not be causing all of the problems you are mentioning.

Also my buddy has a 153 trice (which is a tad stiffer than the HP I think) and he can out bomb me on most hills (groomer/pow/whatever). Skill > Gear so try it out for a few more times before instantly trying to switch it up.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Generally on R/C decks you can go a bit shorter because they float better in pow than regular camber. I don't think the board is too short. Am I right in thinking that the T-Rice has magnetraction? That may explain the 'over carving'. Probably something to get used to more than a problem
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Generally on R/C decks you can go a bit shorter because they float better in pow than regular camber. I don't think the board is too short. Am I right in thinking that the T-Rice has magnetraction? That may explain the 'over carving'. Probably something to get used to more than a problem

Is this really true? I have read this here several times but I have been told by reputable shop owners, manufacturers reps, and a manufacturer that it is not true.
easton714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
mjd

the camber outside the binders puts the contact point out a little further out than if it was rockered in the tip and tail. my 157 trice rides like a 157 as far as i can tell. but yes, as for pow, it floats like a 160 or maybe even more and that's with a centered stance. i think the 25.8 waist helps with that also.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What exactly are you asking about? The float or the magnetraction?

Any board with reverse/hybrid camber should out float a cambered board even if smaller.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton714 View Post
Is this really true? I have read this here several times but I have been told by reputable shop owners, manufacturers reps, and a manufacturer that it is not true.
It is true, as I have observed from experience. The T. Rice has better float in pow than a cambered deck of the same size. The T. Rice is made for long aggressive carves and big booters... I'm not sure what you mean by over carving... The Magnatraction definitely makes the carve want to stick more, but as long as you are going fast, you just lean onto the other edge and carry the carve around in another direction...

That being said, I can take my T. Rice 161.5 HP in the bumps all day and feel fine with it... In my case, and from what else I've heard the 161.5 has 180 lb riders on it.. give or take 20 lbs... Your size (the OP) seems perfect for the smaller deck, as a longer one would just hold an edge better and be harder to turn.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
It is true, as I have observed from experience. The T. Rice has better float in pow than a cambered deck of the same size. The T. Rice is made for long aggressive carves and big booters... I'm not sure what you mean by over carving... The Magnatraction definitely makes the carve want to stick more, but as long as you are going fast, you just lean onto the other edge and carry the carve around in another direction...

That being said, I can take my T. Rice 161.5 HP in the bumps all day and feel fine with it... In my case, and from what else I've heard the 161.5 has 180 lb riders on it.. give or take 20 lbs... Your size (the OP) seems perfect for the smaller deck, as a longer one would just hold an edge better and be harder to turn.
Personally, I was only questioning the length thing. People here like to say you can (and should) ride the new shapes in a shorter length than a cambered deck. Here, this forum, is literally the only place I have heard this. As I said, reputable shop owners, manufacturers reps, and manufacturers (that I have come across personally) have all told me it is not true.

Most have scoffed at that idea, to be honest. They almost all recommend getting the same size you would in a cambered board - and one told me adamantly that he personally goes longer (not shorter).
easton714 is offline   Reply With Quote