Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Boards of the past (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/45658-boards-past.html)

Stuntman 01-20-2012 02:20 PM

Boards of the past

Hello,

First post here, and I have a question for those boarders who have seen board technology change over the last decade.

Short version of my story. Had only skied a couple times, moved out East to go to school. Started boarding using a hand me down board I bought off of a buddy. Really enjoyed riding and the fact that I had regular access to the mountain. Bought a season pass and inherited an OLD Burton Air board(older than the hills, but better than the board I was using). I'd say I was approaching an intermediate skill level in my prime.

During that time, I got the opportunity to ride a friend's board. It was, in its time (around '05) a nice board. It was the Dynastar Concept XDLR autodrive. Later research said this board was developed with Xavier DaLarue (hence the XDLR) for boardercross. The bottom line is, the board blew my mind in how much it seemingly improved my abilities. So I continued riding my old burton air hoping to find another of these boards for sale on the used rack.

So it's been a few years since I tried that board, and although I moved further away from the big mountains, I'd like to keep boarding, and make it out a few times a year.

So my question: Is it silly for me to try and track down one of these old, "limited release" boards? I know there are probably newer, better boards out there now, but I feel like I finally found one that "fit me." albeit a 5+ year old board. And the truth is, I'm not sure I will every make it out enough anymore to warrant wrapping up a ton of money in a new board. The other fact is that I may be completely ignorant in how good a new board can be. The truth is, I've only boarded on the two super old boards of mine, and the Dynastar. Perhaps most boards out there would blow my mind?...:cool:

What says the board guru's? Anyone familiar with this board to know if it is worth pursuing? If not, is there a new board (or newer used model) you guys would suggest? I realize now, that with my much more limited slope time, I need a board that is easy to pickup and ride with long intervals in between, and one that feels good going down groomed blues and blacks.

Thanks for any insight,
Stuntman

extra0 01-20-2012 05:09 PM

I totally understand where your coming from. Took me a lot of effort and time to find boards that really worked for me.

Rather than try to find a rare, 7 year old board, I'd start putting that time and effort into finding a new board...but, since you don't ride much, that's a tough call you're going to have to make

david_z 01-20-2012 05:16 PM

101 Attachment(s)
I feel like it is going to be tough to find a 7yr old board in any condition - let alone one that is in good condition. Most likely if you find one it is going to be totally thrashed either from a few years of riding hard, or from being neglected in someone's garage/basement/attic for the last 7 years.

Good luck!

BurtonAvenger 01-20-2012 05:18 PM

Eh just go get the new Rossi XDLR board Rossi owns Dynastar guarantee it's similar. Or buy a Delorean, steal some plutonium, and build that flux capacitator.

Stuntman 01-23-2012 10:05 AM

All good points. And therein lies the problem. Yes, finding this board is a long-shot. But so is thinking I'm going to be out with the opportunity to try a variety of new boards to really zero in on what works best for me.

All this leads back to the question. Although this board was quite nice back in 2005, has board technology changed enough that even a middle of the road board from say, 2010, would be foreseeably as good if not better than this board? This is the one factor I may be overlooking.

Thanks again

HoboMaster 01-23-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuntman (Post 471486)
All good points. And therein lies the problem. Yes, finding this board is a long-shot. But so is thinking I'm going to be out with the opportunity to try a variety of new boards to really zero in on what works best for me.

All this leads back to the question. Although this board was quite nice back in 2005, has board technology changed enough that even a middle of the road board from say, 2010, would be foreseeably as good if not better than this board? This is the one factor I may be overlooking.

Thanks again

Really depends on what you want... Traditional camber boards are more or less the same thing they were in 05, what has changed is the introduction of reverse camber, rocker and hybrids. If you don't like the way new-tech boards ride, than a traditional camber board from 2010 isn't going to have much on one from 05 (except that it's new and not beat up).

I would suggest trying out the new tech though, I used to ride a 06 Atomic Hatchet which I loved, got on a hybrid-camber Neversummer Evo and haven't touched the Hatchet since.

Stuntman 01-24-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoboMaster (Post 471497)
I would suggest trying out the new tech though, I used to ride a 06 Atomic Hatchet which I loved, got on a hybrid-camber Neversummer Evo and haven't touched the Hatchet since.

See, and this is exactly why I asked, because I could definitely see that happening with me.

New question:

A once intermediate rider wants an all-mountain board for scattered trips to the slopes (let's say 5 days of boarding per season). More interested in going fast down groomers (blues with a few blacks) than grinding rails, but wants something forgiving enough I can pick it up and ride after months without practice. Any good boards from the last few years that anyone would suggest I look for?