Build me a setup for $800! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
......Blank snowboard, it is probably the best snowboard for less than 300 bucks
I HIGHLY doubt this^^ especially if you snag a previous years model.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I HIGHLY doubt this^^ especially if you snag a previous years model.
Well yea last years models are a given, or used, but for a brand new deck anything under 300 bucks usually is a big box store with foam or pure learner model. The Blank decks are well made, with good materials and good design.

The one i have rides pretty nice, not the best, but for 200 bucks i havent ridden or seen anything out there that can beat it that isn't on sale.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm not doubting it is well made and quality for the price and I've never ridden one so I can't comment on how it performs but the deals out there right now are crazy if you look in the right places is really what I was trying to point out
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Definitely boots first, spend as much as it takes to find the most comfortable ones. You are looking for a boot that you dont have to get super tight to eliminate heel lift. I like stiff boots, i tried Ride insano focus boa, k2 thraxis, salomon f22's and salomon malamutes, ended up with Ride RFL boots, they have a great internal lace and this strap that links to the outside lace that really locks you foot in, they start out pretty stiff, like an 8 and break in to about 7.

I really like my Blank snowboard, it is probably the best snowboard for less than 300 bucks and will be awesome compared to you rental. Im 5'10" 165 lbs and got the 151 white reverse camber, it feels a little small but is very easy to ride and is fun. If you are any bigger than me i would get the 157 though.

I suggest the rome united bindings, got them on my blank; they are a good match for the flex and can find no faults with them.

As for goggles the dragon DX have been my staple for a long time until i could get enough money for some spherical goggles. the DX's have always been solid, comfortable, the dont fog or scratch to easy and the replacemet lenses are super cheap.

that set up is probably about $600 bucks, spend the rest on lift tickets
I weigh about the same as you, but two inches shorter. will the 151 still work?
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm thinking about keeping the blank snowboard since it is so cheap though. I'm going to do a little more searching for deals on the internet before I make my choice.

Also, do you need a certain amount of strength to ride different boards? For example, will you need more strength to ride boards made for groomers than it would take for riding a park board?

Back to the boots- the ones I currently have now are a size 10, but when I bind onto my snowboard, after a while, my left foot goes numb. Is this a problem with the binding, the boot, or just me making something too tight?
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Atomic 2012 Hatchet Snowboard at Levelninesports.com

under $200 and size 153 or 149
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecoupons View Post
Hi, I'm a beginning snowboarder transitioning to intermediate. I mostly like to ride down groomers, but I am thinking about getting into the park later. I ride in the Poconos, specifically areas such as Blue Mountain and Camelback.I have an old Atomic rental board that has done well enough to help me learn how to link turns, brake and such, but I'm thinking about getting my own stuff now.

I need:
Boots
Bindings
Board
Goggles

I have around $800 to work with. I'm thinking about getting a blank white snowboard from blanksnowboards.com, but I'm open to whatever you guys think I should get. I also heard that the Burton EST bindings are good?

For goggles, I heard that the Dragon Mace's are nice. I know that the fit of the goggles depends on your face, but from this website what do you think is the all-around best goggle for the price?
Goggles from Departmentofgoods.com

Thanks for your time and help!
I would say support local shops,I see you ride at blue mountain so your from Ont

Lots of stores are doing big discounts because it's been a bad winter.There the ones to help then online stores and malls.
KG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I weigh about the same as you, but two inches shorter. will the 151 still work?
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm thinking about keeping the blank snowboard since it is so cheap though. I'm going to do a little more searching for deals on the internet before I make my choice.

Also, do you need a certain amount of strength to ride different boards? For example, will you need more strength to ride boards made for groomers than it would take for riding a park board?

Back to the boots- the ones I currently have now are a size 10, but when I bind onto my snowboard, after a while, my left foot goes numb. Is this a problem with the binding, the boot, or just me making something too tight?
I would say the 151 would work. It feels a little small but is very easy to ride. And unless you are hauling ass down a huge mountain or straightlining through chop it works great.

Blank is a little company stated by two pros. The boards are made in china though.

You are probably tightening your bindings too much. Newer one with more pads and cap straps help a lot with binding pressure. Also Flow bindings are the most comfortable I've heard
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG29 View Post
I would say support local shops,I see you ride at blue mountain so your from Ont

Lots of stores are doing big discounts because it's been a bad winter.There the ones to help then online stores and malls.
Ok. I'll look around to see if I have any snowboard shops nearby

Quote:
I would say the 151 would work. It feels a little small but is very easy to ride. And unless you are hauling ass down a huge mountain or straightlining through chop it works great.

Blank is a little company stated by two pros. The boards are made in china though.

You are probably tightening your bindings too much. Newer one with more pads and cap straps help a lot with binding pressure. Also Flow bindings are the most comfortable I've heard
If I don't tighten my bindings enough, then I feel like when I try to turn my body is moving but the board isn't really responding. I've also heard that flow bindings are great, but how are their boards? There is a store near me that is having a sale saying that if you buy flow bindings and board together then you get a 15% discount. Worth it? If not, I'm definitely getting a Blank white because i want to make my own design and make a board wrap for it.

Also - Flow's rear entry system- does it really make it faster to get in and out of bindings? I've seen them before but I'm not really sure.

Thanks again for all the help!
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Flow boards are supposed to be pretty good
Shazkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok. I'll look around to see if I have any snowboard shops nearby

If I don't tighten my bindings enough, then I feel like when I try to turn my body is moving but the board isn't really responding. I've also heard that flow bindings are great, but how are their boards? There is a store near me that is having a sale saying that if you buy flow bindings and board together then you get a 15% discount. Worth it? If not, I'm definitely getting a Blank white because i want to make my own design and make a board wrap for it.

Also - Flow's rear entry system- does it really make it faster to get in and out of bindings? I've seen them before but I'm not really sure.

Thanks again for all the help!
Ya, it really works. I used a rental that came with Flow bindings and was impressed by how quick I got in and out. I would say it's at least 3x faster then regular strap on bindings.
As for the quality and capability of the Flows I'm not so sure, only used them for a day, and after all they were just cheap rentals=/
Good luck finding a setup though.
P0lac is offline   Reply With Quote