Build me a setup for $800! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Build me a setup for $800!

Hi, I'm a beginning snowboarder transitioning to intermediate. I mostly like to ride down groomers, but I am thinking about getting into the park later. I ride in the Poconos, specifically areas such as Blue Mountain and Camelback.I have an old Atomic rental board that has done well enough to help me learn how to link turns, brake and such, but I'm thinking about getting my own stuff now.

I need:
Boots
Bindings
Board
Goggles

I have around $800 to work with. I'm thinking about getting a blank white snowboard from blanksnowboards.com, but I'm open to whatever you guys think I should get. I also heard that the Burton EST bindings are good?

For goggles, I heard that the Dragon Mace's are nice. I know that the fit of the goggles depends on your face, but from this website what do you think is the all-around best goggle for the price?
Goggles from Departmentofgoods.com

Thanks for your time and help!
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need a Burton EST board (channel) to use EST bindings.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

As for the goggle and boots, go to a shop and try on as much as you can. Then buy whatever fits best. Work out the board and bindings afterwards on whatever budget is left.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep your eye on sites like whiskeymilita.com / Steepandcheap.com as the frequently have good goggle deals (WM had vonzipper feenoms for $60 today).

As said above, don't skimp out on the boots and try on every pair that you can, decide on the rest of your setup after boots.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

So get boots first, and then figure out what the rest should be? Do you recommend getting all of your equipment from the same brand, or does it not really matter?
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Very rarely will you find items that will just not work with other brands, but it is highly un-likely. You will most often see this with goggles not fitting correctly with helmets, boots not fitting into specific bindings (even if they should fit, not a size problem). Some items like you listed above (EST bindings) have to be used with a Burton EST board. Other than that just pick what you like.

My jacket and pants are both 686 and those are the only to pieces of matching company gear that I currently own.

My setup:

Helmet: Bern
Goggles: Smith
Jacket/pants: 686
Boots: Salomon
Bindings: Union
Board: Ride/Arbor
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of course it all depends on your weight riding style boot size etc but if you are "normal" as in not wide then why not start out like this

BOARD 2011 Flow Infinite rocker $198 (was $400)
Flow Infinite Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

BINDINGS 2012 Rome 390 Boss $230
Rome 390 Boss Snowboard Bindings 2012 | evo

BOOTS 2011 Salomon Dialogue $124 (were $250)
Salomon Dialogue Snowboard Boots 2011 | evo outlet

GOGGLES 2011 Von Zipper Dojo $96 (were $120)
Von Zipper Dojo Goggles | evo outlet

TOTAL $648 leaves a bit for shipping, of course this is what i found in 5 minutes I'm sure if you actually searched you could find better and more appropriate gear
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ya definitely get boots first to see what your budget for the rest of your setup will be. Don't skimp out on them at all and get the pair that fits you best(no heel lift and snug all around your foot without causing pressure points).

I second looking at whiskeymilitia for goggles, they have some nice Dragon goggles for sale nearly everyday it seems.

I don't suggest getting Burton EST bindings unless you really want them as it will pigeonhole you into only Burton boards with the EST channel. Nothing wrong with that, but also note that EST stuff is rather pricey too.

Whatever bindings you get, also make sure they fit with your boots. Bindings are generally setup to fit pretty much any boot, but sometimes some boot brands don't like to play nice with bindings of a different brand.

For the most mix and match the hell out of your gear. Buy what has good reviews and what you feel is right for you.

As for what exactly you want for board and bindings, just roam around the forum a while and see what's suggested for the kind of riding you plan on doing. There's a lot of products out there that cater to different styles.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely boots first, spend as much as it takes to find the most comfortable ones. You are looking for a boot that you dont have to get super tight to eliminate heel lift. I like stiff boots, i tried Ride insano focus boa, k2 thraxis, salomon f22's and salomon malamutes, ended up with Ride RFL boots, they have a great internal lace and this strap that links to the outside lace that really locks you foot in, they start out pretty stiff, like an 8 and break in to about 7.

I really like my Blank snowboard, it is probably the best snowboard for less than 300 bucks and will be awesome compared to you rental. Im 5'10" 165 lbs and got the 151 white reverse camber, it feels a little small but is very easy to ride and is fun. If you are any bigger than me i would get the 157 though.

I suggest the rome united bindings, got them on my blank; they are a good match for the flex and can find no faults with them.

As for goggles the dragon DX have been my staple for a long time until i could get enough money for some spherical goggles. the DX's have always been solid, comfortable, the dont fog or scratch to easy and the replacemet lenses are super cheap.

that set up is probably about $600 bucks, spend the rest on lift tickets
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

make sure to try nike boots on.
,andreas is offline   Reply With Quote