How do demos work (stupid question probably) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do demos work (stupid question probably)

So... I've never done a demo and for my next setup I want to demo the shit out of stuff, partially to find out what features I like in a board (flex, bottom profile, etc.). Everything I have now I bought because of reviews and recommendations, and I like it all well enough, but I have plenty of time to decide on my next setup, and I want to do it right.

I feel kind of stupid for asking, but how does it actually work? Cost money? Use your own boots and bindings when testing a board? Etc.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

check your local mountain's events calendars a few times a year there will probably be a demo event. usually these are larger manufacturers (e.g., Burton) or local companies (rome in the northeast, mervin in the pac/nw, etc.) or smaller local brands.

Otherwise ask around at your local shops and see if they do any demos or if they rent in-season gear. none of the shops near me do this but I have heard of them so maybe you'd pay $25 to rent a new-ish board for a day, etc.

use your own boots 99% of the time and probably your own bindings, too, unless you're lucky enough to get to a private/industry demo event where you could check out all the gear.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If its a certain manufacture having a demo day at your local mountain.

Basically they will set up tents in the parking lot, with usually their whole line up. If it's a brand like burton - they will usually have boards and bindings to demo.

So you just walk up to the tent, preferably with your boots on and bindings in hand. Most will require a driver license and a credit card - they write down your name and what board/time you took out. And you just hop on the lift, ride for usually about 3 runs/hour depending on how busy it is. If they are people waiting, try not to take long. Then you bring the board back and try another.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like demoing out of a local shop is the way to go for me. I have a weekday pass, and I've only seen company tents during the week once. It's a good thing that one of the local shops stocks the brands I'm most interested in.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Honestly, it's the way to go. No buyers remorse, you don't have to go through others opinions, which vary, because everyone likes something different in a board. I try to demo every board I purchase.

It's usually like $35 or so a day, you can trade in and out a few times (I have found the max to do is about 3 day, because you need a couple hours to get used to each board - sometimes longer). Most shops will apply your rental to the cost of the board.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bringing an old topic back from the dead.

There's a demo tour coming up and it's a perfect chance to try out the boards I've been considering.

Do I need my own bindings to demo this stuff or do they have bindings there?

If you do need bindings, that's totally not helpful to people looking to find their first board.
Wes_Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_Dark View Post
Bringing an old topic back from the dead.

There's a demo tour coming up and it's a perfect chance to try out the boards I've been considering.

Do I need my own bindings to demo this stuff or do they have bindings there?

If you do need bindings, that's totally not helpful to people looking to find their first board.
If you're doing the Ontario All Aboard Demo Tour, they will have boards and bindings. It's a really good opportunity to try many different boards and a few new bindings also. In terms of bindings, I tried the Now IPO's, Flux SF and K2 Company's. The boards I tried were the K2 Fastplant, Yes PYL and Assym and the Never Summer Premier F1.
jsinb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinb88 View Post
If you're doing the Ontario All Aboard Demo Tour, they will have boards and bindings. It's a really good opportunity to try many different boards and a few new bindings also. In terms of bindings, I tried the Now IPO's, Flux SF and K2 Company's. The boards I tried were the K2 Fastplant, Yes PYL and Assym and the Never Summer Premier F1.

That's exactly what I'm doing next sunday at blue. I'm hopeful I can narrow down my board choice and pick something up.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Wes_Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was just at jackson hole for a couple days and all the shops there had demos. They even had new models that were released this year.

I was pretty impressed, don't think I am going to be bringing my board with me next time.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote