Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Which holes do I put my bindings in? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/4571-holes-do-i-put-my-bindings.html)

SilverK20A3 03-11-2008 04:09 PM

Which holes do I put my bindings in?

Hello all!

I'm new to snowboarding, just got all my gear. Got a 158" Forum Recon board, Burton bindings. I'm 5'10" and ride goofy. I've rented for most of this season and didn't really pay attention to how they set the board up for me, as I was more concerned with falling, haha.

The reference position on my board seems too far apart for me. I have a general idea of how far apart my bindings should be for my height (20-22"?), but my concern is, which set of holes should I use? In other words, how should the bindings be positioned along the length of the board? Does it have to be perfectly symmetrical? It's a directional board...

I read somewhere if I'm riding in deep powder, I should position the bindings further back. I will be riding groomed fake snow runs in Southern California... (I've seen ppl snowboarding in t-shirts around here, heh) Just looking for some beginning pointers.

Thanks!!

pyro13g 03-11-2008 05:50 PM

Jump up and down a few times and land with your knees slightly bent. Measure distance between feet. That is your natural athletic stance and should be a good starting point. My front foot is +12 degrees and back foot -6 degrees. That's were the pro shop set them for me as a beginner. If you go to wide a dance and too duck footed it puts added stress on the knees that they are not built to handle. If your knees are buckled in towards each other, I'd adjust it so they are not.

laz167 03-11-2008 05:52 PM

I would just stand over the board with feet placed at about shoulder width and see how that feels.You dont want to have your binding to close more like a balance feel.Im 5'8 and one of my boards is 25in the other is 24in.Im in the eastcoast so not much powder just groomed runs.So yeah what ever feels comfortable for you.

scottland 03-11-2008 06:49 PM

21-23 is pretty standard. It's a totally personal thing. Take a screwdriver to the hill with you, start at like 21", and at about lunch, see what 22" feels like. If you don't like it, move it back. It's just one of those things you have to play around with until you are comfortable.

And yes, you'll want your bindings centered on the board. So start with both bindings in the center holes, and move outward from there if needed.

SilverK20A3 03-11-2008 08:19 PM

Thank you much! I'll give it a try.

My Burton binding instructions state that if I don't tighten my screws properly, "you are going to break your ass." Hahaha! Didn't see that coming, cuz the rest of the instructions seem more or less formal.