Arbor Element RX or Roundhouse RX? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arbor Element RX or Roundhouse RX?

I'm wanting to buy a new snowboard and have been doing my research. I am pretty set on getting an Arbor board based on the type of riding that I do. Problem is, I have size 12 boots. My boots are the DC Judge boots. They don't seem as big on the outside, as the Salomon boots I had before. I can find a lot of info on the Element RX, but not as much on the Roundhouse RX. I'm guessing that the Roundhouse is a wider version of the Element? On Arbor's website, it says that the Element is good for up to size 12 boots. Am I going to be pushing it on this board with size 12 boots or should I just go ahead and get the Roundhouse? Can anybody elaborate more on the difference between these two boards? Would the Element handle better than the Roundhouse? Thanks!
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't get the Element. Plenty of good reviews out there with other Arbor boards, but I had an Element and it didn't hold up for shit. Damn near a core shot per day on that thing. VERY soft base.

Great riding board and beautiful, but I don't think it would've survived a single season.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Size 12 = Roundhouse.

I rode the element with 11's and was hanging off pretty badly...With 12's I doubt you could lay down a carve...
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! I kind of figured I'd need the Roundhouse. I'm leaning towards the 162cm since I'm about 6'1" and 220 pounds. Other than my weight, I'm pretty easy on my board. I don't ride park at all. No rails. I just ride groomers mostly. I just want something that handles well and is going to be an all around fun ride. Currently, I ride a cheap, Salomon Ace board. It's a flat board, 163cm in length. It's wide too. I have DC Judge boots and Burton Mission bindings. I just need to update my board now. Do you think I'll notice a difference in going to the Arbor Roundhouse RX? For the type of riding I do, would I be better off with the positive camber CX version?

Last edited by KC10Chief; 01-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you ride any powder?

Or do you just like to ride and carve up the groomed runs?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Do you ride any powder?

Or do you just like to ride and carve up the groomed runs?
I rarely ride powder. 95% of the riding I do, is groomed runs. If we get a lot of snow, I might get into a bit of powder. But it's groomers most of the time for me. I was reading the guide on here regarding positive camber vs reverse camber. It says that a positive camber board such as the Roundhouse CX, is more prone to hard take downs and catching an edge. I don't have a problem with that anymore. I have no problems riding either edge or quickly switching from edge to edge. The guide says that reverse camber boards such as the Roundhouse RX, are better for powder. Wish I had seen it earlier, but I still haven't purchased a board yet. I just want a lively ride with lots of control. Thoughts? RX or CX? Given my size, I think the 163cm in the CX would be a good choice. Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How do you live in AK and rarely ride powder?!

But yeah, if you just like speed, stability, epic carves and more - go with the CX.

But honestly, there are A LOT better boards than the roundhouse for doing what you want to do. I see the roundhouse as more of a powder/backcountry type board (rx obviously)

The CX seems like it would just get boring after a while. Do you do any side hits, or jumps? Do you want something more playful you can mess around with more? Or do you strictly just carve up the mountain and spit it out?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
How do you live in AK and rarely ride powder?!

But yeah, if you just like speed, stability, epic carves and more - go with the CX.

But honestly, there are A LOT better boards than the roundhouse for doing what you want to do. I see the roundhouse as more of a powder/backcountry type board (rx obviously)

The CX seems like it would just get boring after a while. Do you do any side hits, or jumps? Do you want something more playful you can mess around with more? Or do you strictly just carve up the mountain and spit it out?
Well, I was 30 years old when I moved up here in 2009. I had never snowboarded before. Honestly, I don't get to get out all that much. If you really want to ride some powder, you're gonna pay. You need a helicopter to get there. There is only one big resort in the whole state and that is Alyeska. The place is amazing. If I can't make it down there, I ride at one of the two ski hills here in Anchorage. The back country stuff here is pretty dangerous and very remote. If you don't recommend an Arbor, then what else would you guys recommend for my riding style? I take it easy. I just enjoy the pleasure of the ride. Perhaps if I had started this sport when I was a teenager, I'd be different. But I don't do any serious jumps. I find plenty of enjoyment in just riding down the hill, carving it up. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah now that you put things in perspective, the roundhouse will do fine. The A-Frame is another killer board from Arbor you may dig.

2012 Arbor Roundhouse CX Used and Reviewed
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah now that you put things in perspective, the roundhouse will do fine. The A-Frame is another killer board from Arbor you may dig.

2012 Arbor Roundhouse CX Used and Reviewed
Thanks! I'll look more into the A-frame. It's a good looking board too! But according to the Arbor site, it's only for boots up to size 11. Looking at their board mapping, anyways. Their color coded board mapping kind of sucks. Colors are too close.

http://arborcollective.com/snow/board-mapping/

Last edited by KC10Chief; 01-22-2012 at 11:20 PM.