At a lost for words - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default At a lost for words

I've been snowboarding for 2 seasons. I have a 2011 Rossignol Taipan 158 with camber between the feet and rocker tip/tail. When I first started boarding I thought I wanted to be a rider that hard charges the mountain, doing mach 11 down every trail. For Christmas I bought my son a Aperture mid-wide rocker board 158 (part of a pckg deal from Zumiez). We went to Liberty Ski Resort (we live on the ice coast) yesterday and he didn't like the loose feeling of his board, so we switched boards and we never switched back the entire day. He loved the Taipan, it felt more stable when flatbasing and, TO MY AMAZEMENT, I loved the surfy feeling of the rocker board. On my Taipan, I struggled to ride switch & I couldn't land jumps, but on my son's rocker, riding switch and jumping was a breeze. I even began playing around with buttering while going down the hill. I don't know if it was a mind thing or if a rocker suits my riding techniques the best. Now I will likely give my son my board and purchase another. I don't have loads of money to buy multiple profile boards and I rarely get to demo boards. I definitely want a board with excellent edge hold. At night when the trails got icy, my son's rocker washed out on me (that hurt). How does the ride differ from a rocker vs hybrid rocker (rocker between the feet)? Could you guys give me some boards to take a look at. I know the obvious choices would be Gnu & Lib Tech due to the magnetraction. Not sure about NS vario grip. Any others?
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why not just switch boards with your son?

But yeah, landing jumps on rocker is damn near cheating. You gotta try pretty hard to fuck it up.

But yeah, for rocker with edge hold, look into NS and Mervin. Vario Grip on NS and Magnetraction on Mervin. Try to demo if you can. I prefer Vario, but many prefer Magnetraction. Both work great, they're just different feeling. I think Magnetraction is too grabby but I'm sure it's something I could get used to.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My son's board is a rocker, which I will be riding until I get another board. His board was pretty cheap and it's starting to show after just 2 trips. The top sheet is starting to chip on the tip and tail. How does the ride of a rocker compare to the ride of a hybrid rocker board?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can look into some of arbors boards as well, I just rode my new westmark for the first time and grip tech held an edge really well, I loved the board, but some people will say they have durability issues but I haven't rode mine long enough to really tell.
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you like Rocker and some help with grip, have a look at the Arbor Westmark. Griptech is said to be great.

Hybrid camber boards try to combine the loose feeling (rocker) with the stability of a camber stick. It is a good compromise for many riders. Since there are a few different hybrid concepts, it would be best if you tried some of them out. But for your purposes I would recommend a medium-flex with Rocker between the bindings and Camber in the tips. To me that combo makes the most sense. Or you can stay with Rocker of course, though many rocker boards get a bit jiggy at high speeds.

Other than that I prefer Vario over Magnetraction because it is just as effective but not that extreme. I ride a Never Summer Proto CTX and the hybrid camber + Vario is pretty great. No problems on ice as long as you know how to edge properly. The Proto has great pop and is overall an incredible all-mountain deck. But it is not a butter stick.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds like you want a rockered board, and if that is the case, Never Summer and Lib Tech are not what you are looking for. The profile is identical to your Taipan. Unless you went with the Skate Banana.

Check out Arbor. Coda sounds right up your alley. I really liked that board, and it is definitely surfy, but very stable at speed, and the edge tech is awesome. I think Flow has a lot of rockered boards as well.

Another profile to check out, which in my opinion is like cheating as well, would be the flat to rocker boards. Capita and K2 have a lot of boards like this. So easy to stick jumps, flat basing is a breeze. Not as surfy as pure rocker, but really easy to start getting into the park with.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 01-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
It sounds like you want a rockered board, and if that is the case, Never Summer and Lib Tech are not what you are looking for. The profile is identical to your Taipan. Unless you went with the Skate Banana.

Check out Arbor. Coda sounds right up your alley. I really liked that board, and it is definitely surfy, but very stable at speed, and the edge tech is awesome. I think Flow has a lot of rockered boards as well.

Another profile to check out, which in my opinion is like cheating as well, would be the flat to rocker boards. Capita and K2 have a lot of boards like this. So easy to stick jumps, flat basing is a breeze. Not as surfy as pure rocker, but really easy to start getting into the park with.
I thought never summer and lib tech were the opposite of the taipan, in terms of profile? But I will def look into arbor, k2, and capita. I guess my dilemma right now is because I can't demo boards, I am relying on you guys to explain the difference in the ride characteristics of the different profiles. And I totally forgot about flat rocker tech. Can you guys in simple terms explain the difference as to how each profile?

Last edited by crash77; 01-22-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post

Actually NS and Mervin are rocker between feet camber under feet which is different to what he described his rossignol was. And if you want full banana then the banana magic would be what i would suggest, awesome board that many people will rave about, although it is $700. I agree trying K2 flatbase tech i have actually thought about buying a slayblade recently for this exact reason.

There are so many different brands with rocker/camber and grip tech options it really comes down to personal preference of brands graphics and budget nowadays.

Ohh and i suggest the gnu riders choice, i love it, its rocker between the feet then camber under foot, i love it and so far has done everything i have put it through with no issues, and i agree with linvillegorge, magnetraction can be grabby but i think once you figure this out it actually is quite helpful

Last edited by cjcameron11; 01-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.
cjcameron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

i was at liberty yesterday i ride a 163 wide 2011 ride highlife and never have a problem bombing down liberty with it it very rarely loses edge or gets lose on me yesterday wasnt any different
gmore10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe even look at a High Society - pressed in the NeverSummer factory, and has much the same tech.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote