Beginner/intermediate women's board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner/intermediate women's board

My stats:
Female
5'6"
115 lbs
7.5 boot
Beginner/intermediate (this is my first season riding regularly, I can link turns down most blue runs at all of my local resorts)
Riding mostly at resorts in Northern/Central Idaho. I've got a season pass for Brundage, but will also be going to Whistler and a few Utah resorts
I ride groomers and powder, no interest in park.

I picked up my first set of gear back in November. Ride Rapture 151cm, Salomon Grace bindings, Vans Encore boots. Pretty happy with the boots and bindings. They have a few things that slightly annoy me, but in general the fit is good and they work well for me. I'm having issues with the board though. I've been out about 10 or 11 times this season and I've improved quite a bit in that time but I feel like I'm hitting a wall with this board. As I've started trying to go faster I don't feel confident with the way the board responds when I try to initiate turns. In powder it's fine, and I have a lot of fun, but on anything hard or choppy it doesn't grip well and I don't feel in control. I've traded boards with friends a few times now and have found their boards (all cambered) a lot more grippy and responsive through turns. I've tweaked my stance and tried to like the Rapture board but I don't think it's working for me. The rocker profile was nice when I started the season and was paranoid about catching edges, but now I think I've outgrown it and I'm looking to get something that's a better fit.

I'm definitely a relatively timid rider and I've got a very lean body type and not a lot of muscle, so I'm not likely to be an aggressive rider any time soon. I've read a lot of recommendation threads here and think what I'm looking for is something that is less rockered, smaller, and narrower than my current board.

I'm not super concerned about the cost. I'm pretty certain I am going to stick with boarding for the foreseeable future and want to get something that will last me.

Right now I'm thinking about the Never Summer Pandora, which I've seen recommended here as a good beginner-intermediate all around board for smaller and lighter riders. Would I be better off with a 143 or 146? What other boards should I be considering?
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hi ceridwen,

Regarding size and considering you're coming off a 151 and ride groomers/powder, I would say a 146 over a 143. I'm 5'8" 120lbs and went from a 151 cambered board to a 146 hybrid the end of last season. Sadly, I have yet to use it on powder though.

I haven't ridden the Pandora but another thing you might like about it is the Vario grip. Even though you have no interest in park, are you looking for a board with a softer flex?

Btw, I like your username...the Welsh goddess
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
Hi ceridwen,

Regarding size and considering you're coming off a 151 and ride groomers/powder, I would say a 146 over a 143. I'm 5'8" 120lbs and went from a 151 cambered board to a 146 hybrid the end of last season. Sadly, I have yet to use it on powder though.

I haven't ridden the Pandora but another thing you might like about it is the Vario grip. Even though you have no interest in park, are you looking for a board with a softer flex?
I am pretty certain I want something with softer flex b/c of my weight and relatively timid ride style.

How did you find the transition from the cambered board to the hybrid? Which hybrid board are you riding now?

Quote:
Btw, I like your username...the Welsh goddess
Thanks! Don't think very many people know that
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
I am pretty certain I want something with softer flex b/c of my weight and relatively timid ride style.

How did you find the transition from the cambered board to the hybrid? Which hybrid board are you riding now?
The Pandora might be a good choice then. It seems to be the softest of the NS chick's boards.

The transition from a longish, heavy, cambered deck to a hybrid was interesting. I really had to tone down my riding. The effort it took on my 151 was way more than the 146 requires. You'll probably have an easier time going to a hybrid since your coming off a rockered board. I'm riding a 146 Gnu B Pro now. It's probably stiffer than you're looking for, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen
Thanks! Don't think very many people know that
Ha yeah, I had a friend who named her cat Ceridwen. Take it as a compliment; she was a pretty cool cat
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can you tell us a bit more about what happens when you try to ride hard/icy stuff? Most people feel that it's generally harder to ride through ice/crud. Some boards do better than others, but there is definitely a technique factor.

When you 'lose control' of your board, is it because it's squirrely (spin like a top)? Does it bounce or spring? Or, when you do a skidded turn, does it slide out from under you? Those are all different problems, in my opinion.

Rocker boards are more squirrely, I think, so if it's that, maybe you're better off with a hybrid board. Never Summer makes good ones, and probably you can look at the Pandora or Infinity. Roxy and GNU make a few hybrid boards (they call it C2 BTX). You can consider the Roxy Ollie Pop. Roxy/GNU boards have a reputation for better ice grip due to magnetraction.

If the board is bouncy or springy, part of it is your technique, and part of it is your board. Never Summer boards are very 'damp' so they might help with this (but a lot of it is riding technique).
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm trying to find How old this board is. My girlfriend is getting into snowboarding and I think it would be nice to get her her own board. Just curious if anyone would know about it.

Last edited by irrballsac; 01-25-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fixed imaging.
irrballsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrballsac View Post

I'm trying to find How old this board is. My girlfriend is getting into snowboarding and I think it would be nice to get her her own board. Just curious if anyone would know about it.
Hi,

The image won't display.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fixed! Sorry, I was trying to post from my phone and it didn't link it right.
There is a pic of the bottom of it. It's listed as a Barrett Christy, but I can't find any more like it on the internet, or any other information about the tech it might have...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can you take a pic of the topsheet?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
Can you take a pic of the topsheet?
I fixed the link in my earlier post. It is higher up. If you need another one I can get it when I get home.