Riding pipe.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Riding pipe..

ok here's the deal there's a local mountain that has a small 8ft pipe which I attempted to ride last week,my question is when going up the trans wall should I be flat base at an angle or on my toe edge?Note im not gonna do any 5's or 10's just some front side's.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i dont do a whole lot of pipe riding, but im pretty sure you should go up the wall on your edge. you dont need a whole lot of edge, just enough so you dont slide around.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
volcomkid

crazyface is right you go up on an edge and like half ollie off and if your spinning in it ever it helps if youve corked spins before because at first spinning sideways out of the pipe feels really unnatural so you natrually level out just before you land so you end up hitting the deck and breaking your ass or face.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thred highjack

You gots to get LOW to get HIGH!

I rode an 8' pipe this year and if I didn't fade a little at the end of edging up the wall I'd mostly miss the tranny coming back in. So I shot more for going across than straight up.

Next weekend I'll be going straight up......
20-25' 1/4 Pipe at Holiday Valley, NY
I got to test it 3x (constrained by a fence) and it was a thrill just getting out. For the Ice Coast, this event should be a good one. Conditions have been "All Time" but rain in the forecast.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Holiday Valley
Quarter Pipe Competition, HV Series Final
The giant snowbar of Winter Carnival becomes a giant quarterpipe! Great riding, great spectating. Registraion $10 from 10-11 AM at Training Center. Helmets required, no inverts! This means YOU! Site: Holiday Valley base of Yodeler
Time: Noon
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
thenightmare

Pipe riding is fun.. i just landed my first 3 in the pipe like 2 months ago.. just make sure u finish the rotation.. haha u dont want to land in face or ass first..
Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightmare View Post
haha u dont want to land in face or ass first..
Haha...yep in pipe or out

The most painful landing I've seen was a guy trying a rail and the board slipping out in front of him. He landed with the rail embedded between his a$$ cheeks...OWWW!! I'm sure he'll always remember to lean as far forward as he can the next time (if there is a next time)
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
volcomkid

haha the worst slam i saw is a kid that was like 8 slipped out on a 50 50 and did the rest of the rail on the middle of his back. yea pipe can hurt if you dont rotate perfectly i over rotated an ally ooped 7 and acceidentally leveled out and fell 17 feet into the flat right onto my tailbone, not sure if i broke it or what but it hurt and it felt like it was bent a bit funny, sall good now tho
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomkid View Post
haha the worst slam i saw is a kid that was like 8 slipped out on a 50 50 and did the rest of the rail on the middle of his back. yea pipe can hurt if you dont rotate perfectly i over rotated an ally ooped 7 and acceidentally leveled out and fell 17 feet into the flat right onto my tailbone, not sure if i broke it or what but it hurt and it felt like it was bent a bit funny, sall good now tho
If you broke it you would certainly know
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
thenightmare

man i landed on my shoulder in the middle of a backflip this year.. i thought i had broken my shoulder.. but i rode down and didnt get it checked lofl.. i'm a dumb ass now i have problems with it..
Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

to the OP, always ride with your 'uphill edge biting' (easiest way to explain it)

i rarely ever ride pipes. i never seem to find a hill with a good one to really get into it.... altho i did do an alley oop in the whistler super pipe one year and that was quite pleasurable (albeit flukey and barely out of the top)