Snowboard Selection Help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard Selection Help!

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to snowboarding and I am having a tough time choosing a new board after hours of scouring these forums and reading everyone's suggestions. I am 6'0" and 185lbs (11.5 boot size). This is my first year riding- I have a 2009 Burton Custom 157w w/ Custom bindings that I learned to ride on. I'm able to get down black diamond runs in CO fine and have no issues carving hard, etc., but living in the Midwest I've found myself enjoying jumps/park more and more.

Basically I am looking for a board that is more playful than the Custom, better for jumps/boxes, more forgiving than camber when landing jumps, but still will do well on groomers. Realistically it is going to be a while before I start trying rails, so I'm not concerned with that. I did a few runs with my buddy's Arbor Draft and the rocker feel felt sweet, but I still think I'd be happiest with a hybrid profile and something a bit stiffer since I'll be about 50/50 groomers/park.

One's I've been focused on based on reading through the forums:

NS Proto CT/CTX
Gnu Riders Choice
Lib Tech TRS
Arbor Blacklist

Can anyone comment on how the above boards compare in flex and which one(s) might best fit me? I am really leaning towards the NS Proto, love the graphic and carbonium top sheet, and I hear it has great pop for jumps. Also, if I choose the Proto I'm unsure of the size I need, 154 or 157? I hear it rides longer due to the blunted tips... with a 11.5 boot will I need the wide version? My custom is 25.8cm at the waist and I don't have any toe drag- the Proto CT 157 is 25.3 at the waist. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Totally hooked on boarding, this forum is awesome, and I'm looking forward to progressing. Thanks guys/gals.
mmj12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update: Decided to go with the NS Proto CTX (155cm) after reading countless reviews on it. Pairing it with 2012 Flow M9-SE bindings (orange!)... did I choose a good combo?!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yes, now go snowboarding
Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
yes, now go snowboarding
Thanks, board should arrive by this weekend so I can take it up to Wisconsin! In a month I'm coming out to Tempe for a long weekend and plan on taking the "Desert Snow Connection" shuttle up to Snowbowl for a quick day trip? Been there? How is it?