TRS vs Banana Magic - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default TRS vs Banana Magic

Hey guys. Question for the board. I have been searching like crazy trying to find a place that demos the Banana Magic, but no luck. So here is what I am looking for. At the end of the season, I'm going to try and pick up either a Magic or TRS when they drop the prices some.

I am looking for an all mountain board, that is still playful. Pretty big Lib Tech fan (own a Rice), and familiar with their products and tech, and for me, it just works. So I'm really not considering anything outside of Mervin at this time. Want a board that has a lot of play, but is still stable, damp, and capable of charging.

I know I can get a hold of a TRS to demo, but I'm just not going to find a Magic to demo. The reason I'm interested in the board however, is because I have read from a few reputable posters that this was one of the boards that they have had the most fun on.

So for anyone that has ridden both, can you compare and contrast. A third board I was thinking about was the GNU Altered Genetics, however it might be too stiff. Also open to trying an Attack Banana, but was afraid you sacrifice too much stability.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm riding the Attack Banana this year and I hear you about the stability concern. It's my first year with reverse camber and it's taking some time to get used to. I've put 3 days on it so far (PA sucks this year) and I'm getting used to it. I "feel" unstable at times, but whenever I apply some pressure to push into a turn or do something, the board has always been there / reacted. I'm finding that the stability issue is just a "feeling" and something I need to adapt to, not something that is really a problem. I just wanted to through my 2 cents in, I was going to go with a TRS but ended up with an Attack Banana. I'm still not 100% I made the right decision, but so far so good. Buyers remorse sucks
jcblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's supposed to be a great board. Yeah, I've ridden a ton of boards with reverse camber, so I know what you mean. I should clarify, when I meant stable, I meant I still want to bomb this board. So I'm looking for a board that doesn't chatter like crazy.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Magic is stiffer than the TRS, but softer than the T.Rice. One thing you have to note about the Banana Magic is that it's a very nimble board. One of my buddies just bought one and the edge to edge response threw him off at first. He said it wasn't used to that much responsiveness. Needless to say, the Magic is a great board to lay down carves. It's a very light as well which is a plus because I find Lib's non-horsepower boards to be on the heavier side.

Keep in mind that the TRS has an extruded base. It's not slow by any means though. I like Lib's TnT bases.

Obviously, you know I ride MI. I didn't have any issues with stability on the Magic on even the steepest runs here through ice. However, the T.Rice is a much more damp board. The Magic still has a liveliness to it, but no chatter from what I rode. Mr. Polonia (rarely posts here) has been taking this board to several big mountains, Mammoth, Keystone, Breck... and hasn't complained about it one bit.

BTW, the Magic has a slight camber underfoot. The profile of this board is different from any of their other boards.

I honestly love the Banana Magic. I'd love to have one in my quiver someday (hurts the wallet lol) for all-mountain riding.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you hit up youtube you'll find a video review by Board Insiders compairing the Skate, Attack, and Magic Bananas. They all prefer the Magic for its stability and stiffness, yet it's still completely capable of doing all the park style stuff they wanted. It was my understanding that it has rocker between the feet but camber from the feet out. I assume the magnetraction is same on all of them and so would provide a good grip one ice regardless. But what Leo said, Magic is definitely the lightest. Looks damn sexy too. The normal website pictures don't do it any remote form of justice.
Crimzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Talking

I would say the magic is to close to the rice to make it worth buying, unless you want two fairly similar boards.

If you really like Mervin the gnu riders choice is pretty much a trs with a sintered base.

Or the attack banana would be a better choice as well as others have said
Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Riley, have you ridden both, or is that just a guess? The reason I ask, is that from people that have actually ridden the Magic, they all say it leans very well to being a playful, solid all mountain deck.

Leo, thanks for the feedback. That was what I was looking for. I have heard that the Magic is lightning edge to edge.

How would you compare it to your Proto? As nimble, more nimble? Can you still press it out and butter it?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

More damp and stiffer than the Proto. I can press the Magic, but it's not its strong suit. Proto has more pop, Magic is more responsive.

I wouldn't choose one over the other. It'd be nice to have both in my quiver haha. I would use the Magic for more all-mountain riding with minimal jibbing. The Proto to me can handle a day in the park as well as outside. I wouldn't want to spend a day in the park with the Magic aside from jumps.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Riley, have you ridden both, or is that just a guess? The reason I ask, is that from people that have actually ridden the Magic, they all say it leans very well to being a playful, solid all mountain deck.

Leo, thanks for the feedback. That was what I was looking for. I have heard that the Magic is lightning edge to edge.

How would you compare it to your Proto? As nimble, more nimble? Can you still press it out and butter it?
I own the magic and have ridden a trice. The magic is a tad softer. The tight radius sidecuts give it lighting fast turn initiation. If has about the same stiffness all around. Would make a great jump or pipe board but probably not the best for pressing and jibing

Last edited by Riley212; 01-23-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

With more pronounced Rocker, isn't it much more surfy than a Rice?