Burton Mystery - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Yesterday I was at a burton demo sale hoping to see and pick up some of next year's AK (which I did and will post in a different thread) and they had next year's burton mystery in the size i wanted (comes in a 158 and 155)! This confirms that it will be part of their regular line up in 2012/2013. The regular price in canada is wopping $1,794. They had it on sale for $1050 and if you paid in cash you didnt have to pay tax so i jumped on it. Im going ot whistler tomorrow for 3 days and plan to give it a good hard run. Ill post some pictures when i get over my hang over today. The colors and design has changed, but its still the lightest board they have ever made.
The graphics for the first year are genius - you look at it and can barely tell that there is a name. You wonder, what's that board, and then you figure out the "mystery"

Anyways post pics and review. You're killing me with this story, 1700 plus tax is ridiculous but 1000 flat I would have jumped on it. What size?

Lamps
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

I rode the burton mystery and it was definitely not worth it way to light and you feel everything on the ground good or bad, unless you are riding powder 24/7 i would not suggest it.
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Personally i love the colors, especially the under side of the board. I'd have to say that the all black version is slightly cooler though..something you would hang on your wall.

here is a couple pics of next year's AK stuff. Gives an idea of the color direction.

prima loft vest

wool baselayer
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

O_O

10char
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I managed to track down a new pair of Diodes in my size for a good enough price that they are worth getting for the curiosity of experimenting with creating the lightest most responsive set up possible. Im still likely going to get some Genesis bindings next season, but to finish this season off and as a solid back up pair its worth the experiment. Ill get them today, post some pics and hopefully get up to whistler this weekend to a couple days of testing them out.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I managed to track down a new pair of Diodes in my size for a good enough price that they are worth getting for the curiosity of experimenting with creating the lightest most responsive set up possible.
Are you getting new boots for that set up then?
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Not changing the boots this one around. I ride DC judge boots and I'm pretty happy with them. I may look at new ones next year when I get time to invest trying a bunch on.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
I managed to track down a new pair of Diodes in my size for a good enough price that they are worth getting for the curiosity of experimenting with creating the lightest most responsive set up possible. Im still likely going to get some Genesis bindings next season, but to finish this season off and as a solid back up pair its worth the experiment. Ill get them today, post some pics and hopefully get up to whistler this weekend to a couple days of testing them out.
I'm curious to see what you think of the diodes.

Oh and for anyone saying $1000 is a waste of money for a board, do a little math and you'll realize boards are a small portion of your total cost to snowboard. Might as well ride what you want, regardless of cost.

Here's my year so far:
- 29 days on the snow
- $900 season pass to RCR resorts covered 22 of those days
- $455 the other 7 days x $65 average ticket price
- $1500 lodging and food for about half of the days
- $870 gas, average of $30 each time, although I have a company truck and this is covered for me
- $??? wear and tear on the car, depreciation, maintenance
- $105 for upper body armour
- $80 new gloves
- $300 contour roam and some mounts
- $45 new pants
- $50 tune ups ($25 tune and $25 in DIY stuff)

So you can see that I replaced some worn items in my gear this year, but not including board/boots/bindings I would have spent about $4500 if I were paying for my own vehicle. As it is I've spent about $3000 out of pocket. Or about $100 a day for lift tickets, food, and lodging. Not bad at all when you think about it. Many people spend more than that on average.

Now my Burton T7 (list $950), C60 EST bindings (list $550), and Driver X boots (list $380) came out to about $1150 with tax after a 50% off deal two years ago. So far I've had 50 days on this gear and it's barely broken in. I'll get at LEAST another 50 days and even then if I replace it it'll not be out of necessity. And there will be some used value in at least the board and bindings. Give that I'll get 100 days minimum out of the setup, I'm looking at $11.50 per riding day in gear costs. That's 1/10th the cost of the rest of it. Even if I bought a Kessler ride at list price $1300 and some new bindings instead of what I had. The total would be about $2000 or 2/10ths the cost of the rest of riding.

Frankly, I'd say it's 100% worth it to buy what you want.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here's my year so far:

-11 days on the snow
-$ 299 season pass covered all those days.
-Gas for my car is about $40 per trip = $450
-Gear is all from last season:
-K2 cinch CTX = $150
-Arbor A-Frame = $ 168 ( demo board)
-Burton Driver X = $ 300
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Wow, the Mystery Air that was supposed to be made in VT, is made in Austria....along with the rest....not worth 1000 IMO.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote