Time to get a new board.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Time to get a new board..

Hey all. Been looking through the threads and you guys seem to be very helpful, so I figure I'll pick your brains. I'm an intermediate rider, started two years ago. First season I rented, second I bought a Rossignol Sultan with no name bindings. For this year, I got mission bindings, and my boots are very comfortable. I've always been one who finds a lot of fun in speed and shredding the groomers, I'd be looking to go down the steeper blacks this year(although, it is a small northeast mountain). I want to make an entrance into the park as well. I thought a good choice would be to stick with a cambered board as I'm working with now, to be able to maintain the stability at higher speeds. I'm looking at a 2011 Ride DH. It is park oriented, but seems to get great reviews all around, so what do you guys think? Also considering the K2 WWW, which is a rocker. The rocker appeals to me because it doesn't catch edges as much(with my technique, I rarely catch edges on a camber, I know it's not just the board) so I'd feel free to play around more. I don't want to sacrifice stability though. Both boards are around 250. A third choice would be the Rome Agent 2010 which is around 350, which has rocker technology but has great reviews all around. What would be best for my riding? Thank you and sorry for the long post but I figured I'd be thorough to get the best answers.
wwynne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

When searching for my first board (just ordered) I read ridiculous amounts of guides and advice on what to get, the majority of it pointing me towards rockers, however when I finally got the opportunity to try one locally I completely hated it. Couldn't get it to grip or be stable, especially at speed, and especially on hardpack/icy. Probably could've spent more time learning it, but I didn't need to.

Cambered rentals is what I started on, and that's what I've felt most comfortable on from the get go. Does everything I want it to, and it's more stable for aggressive if that's how you ride. One guy on here told me that if you learn on a camber, you'll learn to board properly, and I believe him. Using cambered has only seemed to be a benefit to me rather than a hindrance.

So if I took anything away from all my reading and experimenting it was this: fck all the searching for the "best" board and whats generically recommended. Get what you think will work for you and stick with your gut instinct. Just because it's a nice board doesn't mean you'll enjoy it if you have tons of doubts about it in the back of your head.
Crimzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Forget about the WWW and the Agent as they are pretty clearly park boards (Don't know much about the DH2). Actually, forget about Rocker boards in general. If you really want to keep bombing groomers and still want to be able to have fun in the park, you should at least look into hybrid camber boards. There is no "perfect for both" board.

Also, it would be helpful to know your budget and weight.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I figured the rocker style would never suit me all around, because it would piss me off if I was edging perfectly and started washing out because of the board at high speeds. The ride dh is a camber board with a 6/10 stiffness but claims to be able to handle the harder stuff. Budget is 200-300 or so(would really like to keep it under 300). I'm 5'10 and about 170. I also considered getting an all mountain stick and then finding a used cheap rocker under 100 someone's getting rid of during the season to mess around with.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm 5'9 165 so we'd pretty much ride the same thing. I've tried 151 soft and 155 med burtons, a 158 med/stiff, and by far and away the best feeling board for me was the 158. Super stable, and was a cheap ass no name brand. I can't describe the feeling difference between the other boards other than, it just felt like everything was right. Whatever turns I wanted to make, the board was there for me.

So now I believe in camber, and I don't believe in needing an expensive board. I do however believe getting a damn comfortable boot is the most important thing to save your money for, cause if your feet feel like shit you won't wanna be spending much time on your gear, however nice it is.

Lots of good clearance deals on previous years models over at Evo and The House.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I understand. I'm pretty set on sticking with camber on my all mountain, the ride has people in the midwest saying they've hit the higher end slopes and it held up well in high speeds so I believe I'm going to go with that for my all mountain..also it's a great price on evo. I'm sticking with the 155 because that was comfortable to me with my old one, eventually I'd like to try the longer board but right now I want something that can suit me all around, park and groomers. Either way, it should be 3x as good than my entry level board in any case. Totally agree with you on the boots thing, I have saloman factions and they are super comfortable, I remember changing after renting and it made the biggest difference in the world. I saw on another thread you said you picked up a board off evo, which did you pick up? Anything you ran by on the house that caught your eye?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sent you a PM about my 2010 155 Ride DH.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was set on the Capita BSOD for the longest time but I actually ended up snagging the Bataleon Enemy 157 with Force SL bindings. Not the cheapest set I know, but it was half off for all that tech so I figured what the hell.

I also haven't tried TBT, but if it provides me quicker edge to edge ability like I'm hoping it will, I'll force myself to adapt. It should be here any day.

My boots are Vans Adreas Wiigs and they are stupid comfortable. Pooped on anything I tried in the highest price range of DC.

The House had so many boards that I can't remember them all, but I think the Forum Seeker looked tempting.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah that makes sense. Nice pick up, spent a pretty penny though.

Anyone heard about the k2 raygun? How about that vs the Ride DH?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thegoodride.com and snowboard-reviews.com can give you a good visual breakdown of board qualities and differences.