Help With Board Selection - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help With Board Selection

I've been riding for 2 years strong about 60+ days in. I'm currently riding a 2011 153 Rome Artifact (regular Camber). I'm looking to purchase a new board but am at a complete loss (information overload).

Upon purchasing this board I intended on riding mostly park, but realized I have more fun playing around on the mountain, hitting SMALL kickers and I'm convinced I should be looking at a board which is a little less "jib specific" Handles speed a little better etc. (I must say I do like the feedback I feel I get from having a soft board)

I want to try a Hybrid rockered designed board.

I was planning on picking up a Carbon Credit, Skate Banana or Park Pickle, as I ride "Ice coast" (from NY) and am VERY curious/feel I could benefit from "Magnetraction" & like the idea of being able to ride a board a little shorter.

After reading, reading, and reading, It seems these boards (skate Bannana/ Park pickle) may be a little overhyped. As well as very Heavy.

Sorry for my long winded post, but after 2 months of reading reviews etc. I am at a loss........ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
9won4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

After seeing me post this a good friend of mine told me to look at The Smokin line of boards as well
Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as I know, the Skate Banana is not a hybrid camber but a rocker board. Have a look at the NS Evo as well. Good edge hold on ice and you can ride it a few cm shorter because of the blunt tips.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you are looking for a park board that isn't a complete noodle, a stiffer board will be much more stable at speed.

Gnu riders choice or lib TRS over the banana/pickle. They are similar flex but have hybrid cambers.

Another good one to check out is the Rossignol Jibsaw, it has magnetraction and is a medstiff park board despite having the word "Jib" in the name. it is mostly camber with little tiny bit of rockered tips.

Another really cool board is the YES trouble, not quite as popular but yes makes cool decks, has a milder magnetraction than mervin.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I think you are looking for a park board that isn't a complete noodle, a stiffer board will be much more stable at speed.

Gnu riders choice or lib TRS over the banana/pickle. They are similar flex but have hybrid cambers.

Another good one to check out is the Rossignol Jibsaw, it has magnetraction and is a medstiff park board despite having the word "Jib" in the name. it is mostly camber with little tiny bit of rockered tips.

Another really cool board is the YES trouble, not quite as popular but yes makes cool decks, has a milder magnetraction than mervin.
Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for and my mistake, what I was actually looking for would be a board with the C2 Btx or similar tech (with mag). I'm going to take a good hard look at those boards suggested.

Are the Lib/Gnu boards as heavy as people make them out to be?

Any other suggestions are welcomed, and my buddy is hard selling me on Smokin boards, any feedback on their boards? not much comes up through searches.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

*Also is there any difference between the 2010 and 2011 Gnu Riders Choice boards?.......as I found a great deal on the 2010
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9won4 View Post
*Also is there any difference between the 2010 and 2011 Gnu Riders Choice boards?.......as I found a great deal on the 2010
I'm assuming that when you say 2011 you mean this season's? Because 2011 usually refers to 2010-2011, which would be last season. So the 2010 would be 2 years old.

Anyway, I believe it changed it from BTX to C2BTX a season or 2 ago.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0p View Post
I'm assuming that when you say 2011 you mean this season's? Because 2011 usually refers to 2010-2011, which would be last season. So the 2010 would be 2 years old.

Anyway, I believe it changed it from BTX to C2BTX a season or 2 ago.
Yes, that's what I meant.......thank you for the clarification
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just want to throw out that I have a 2012 trs for sale if you are looking for a good deal.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...btx-157-a.html
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

+1 to Basti and what he said about the Never Summer Evo, especially if you're looking to throw in a little more all-mountain riding. Speaking of a shorter board, I'll just throw the Burton Nug out there at you too. You could ride a Nug like 8cm shorter than your usual and from what I've heard they're surprisingly stable at high speeds. Oh and maybe take a peek at the Flow Quantum too. Good luck hunting man.