Questions about gear for a Beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about gear for a Beginner

So far I have been renting gear and am currently looking for gear to buy. So far I have used a Head board via rental. Now I am 200lbs, 6ft tall, and wear a 12.5 US mens boot.

I am looking at getting either a Rossignol, Technine, or Rome board. I am looking at between a 159W and a 161. Since I have a 12.5 boot will I still need to get a Wide board if I get towards a 161. Is the waist width still the same at 161 as it would be at 159?

I have already gone out and sized out my boot and bought a Salomon Faction Boot.

As far as bindings go I am not sure what to look for. I have been searching around the net as to what is out there, but am hesitant to purchase anything based on the fact I know little about the particular brands that are out there.

Any advice as to what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Brigius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Definitely go for a wide board. The widths vary, depending on manufacturer and size but with a 12.5 boot you will have too much overhang on a regular board.

As for the bindings, what terrain do you plan on riding? Park or all mountain or high speed bombing? Since you are a beginner you'll probably want a medium-stiff binding that can do a bit of all.

Are you on a budget? And why are you only looking at the 3 brands mentioned above?
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I picked those because based on the sizes and graphics that I have seen those are the ones that I have really liked. Finding Wide boards is a pain it seems. I really like Arbor boards but I don't think I am quite up to those boards. As of right now I am just trying to get used to going down the basic slopes and not eat snow.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I suggest you say "fuck the graphics" at this point. I think wides are really only a problem for certain jibbing/park boards and some high-end bombing/big mountain stuff. I have an 11.5 boot and have some problems finding a mid-wide in my size, but every board I have looked at for all-mountain purposes is available in a wide.

Where do you ride? What part of the country I mean. The snow type/quality will have something to do with what kind of bottom profile you should look at. I have been very happy with my K2 Raygun 160 wide for learning purposes, which would be a good size for you (I'm 5'9" 220lbs), though it would not be so good someplace that tends to have really hard snow.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

So far I have gone to Big Bear and Snow Summit in California. They haven't gotten much snow this year so most of what is there is man-made and hard packed.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you really like the look of the arbor boards and don't care to spend the money, some of them might not be the worst of choices for you. The full rocker ones should help you in turn initiation, and you would be able to progress a lot on them. The blacklist could be a good choice for you. The only other one that would seem to fit your boot is the roundhouse, but I wouldn't recommend that for your level.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, forget the graphics.

These are all wide boards: Men's Wide Snowboards | evo . And that's only one shop. You are looking for something with medium-flex. If you don't want to spend too much money, the Flow Merc is a good beginner's board at a good price.

I don't know your budget so I can't really say much about bindings. I personally like Burton Malavitas but they are a bit pricy. Would need more info on your side regarding budget to suggest bindings.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am looking to spend around 600$ on the complete set. I have already spent 70 on the boots.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

There are a lot of bindings that would work for you. I'd recommend to get the Flow Board with Burton cartels (good response) or customs (less pricy). If you end up buying Burton bindings make sure you don't buy the EST version because those will only fit specific Burton boards.

This combo will help you improve and save you some money.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

For bindings I have been eyeing the Technine Simon Chamberlain bindings. I don't know if they are something I am not ready to use.