How does lenth effect how a snowboard feels? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How does lenth effect how a snowboard feels?

Hey,

I am relatively new to boarding, first season. Ive been out 5 or 6 times, starting to get comfortable on blue hills and challenging black hills.

I may look to upgrade from my $40 used board to something newer. I've had my eye on a used Arbor Element cx for a while but its 3 CM longer 158, than what is recommended for me, a 155. Its half the retail price, and was a demo board.

How will this effect how the board rides? How would a shorter board feel for the sake of discussion?

I am 5 11" 140LBS, and I only freeriding, but have thought about trying some park.

Thanks.
Therminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

A shorter board will be easier to turn but less stable at speed and straightaways, while a longer will be harder to turn and more stable at speed and straightaways. Plus a longer board will cut through choppier conditions better.

Regardless of length there are very many different technologies that go into boards in order to make them geared toward a certain style or riding, usually park vs. freeride. Make sure you are buying the style board that you want as well as the correct length.

Edit: at 140 lbs, unless you are looking for a board to keep a few years while you pack on weight, I would look in the range of around 150 cm board, give or take a few cm. Maybe a wide board if you have around a size 12 foot, but not always.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 01-23-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

most companies, arbor included, have size charts on their web sites. you generally wanna sit in the middle of the range, if you're on the lower end you'll be able to bomb down more easily at the expense of turn initiation, and being on the higher end will make turn initiation easier but will give you more chatter at higher speeds.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. That does make sense. I look at it though, how much does 3cm really make? Can you feel it?

Also I know arbor offers cambered and rocker designs as well which add to the mix. I am leaning towards a cambered design because I am currently freeriding, but would a board like that hold up if I decided to try some park?

Jeff
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

i ride 156 and occasionally my friend and i swap our boards; he rides 161. we have a different camber profile (my rocker vs. his flat) so it might not totally explain everything, but when i ride his board i can pick up speed quicker and it feels more stable when i'm at higher speeds. i definitely feel i have to try a little harder on turning, but after 2-3 movements i more or less settle in.

i'm no park expert, but from what i understand it depends on what you want to do...camber is fine if you're going off jumps and probably preferable for taking the big kickers. for rails and boxes you might want to go rocker. i'm sure someone else can elaborate on this.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therminator View Post
Thanks. That does make sense. I look at it though, how much does 3cm really make? Can you feel it?

Also I know arbor offers cambered and rocker designs as well which add to the mix. I am leaning towards a cambered design because I am currently freeriding, but would a board like that hold up if I decided to try some park?

Jeff
I would look more at a hybrid design which tries to mix the better aspects of both designs, camber is really dying and the newer designs are much more forgiving especially learning. True camber is harder to initiate turns and more edge catchy than a hybrid camber/rocker design.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

This may help some. Snowboard Rocker & Camber Explained - The House Boardshop | How To Guides, Reviews, and Articles for The House Boardshop

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 01-23-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks. I will have a read.
Ive also been thinking about board stiffness. Something like an element CX which is aimed more for all mountain and freeride would be stiffer, correct?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. I will have a read.
Ive also been thinking about board stiffness. Something like an element CX which is aimed more for all mountain and freeride would be stiffer, correct?
Yes, in general stiffer boards are more designed for freeride.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
d15

Quote:

I am 5 11" 140LBS, and I only freeriding, but have thought about trying some park.

Thanks.
158 is too long for your level. For your weight I'd go with 155, but that's if you have more experience. I'd actually go for 152 (if they make it) for your weight and level.
d15 is offline   Reply With Quote