Yes Pick Your Line: Asymmetric? (Or, Am I Boned?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes Pick Your Line: Asymmetric? (Or, Am I Boned?) Now with pics

Well, it's kind of a long and convoluted first post, but what the hell. The following is an excerpt from an email I just sent to the shop where I got my board, a YES Pick Your Line 164W, which I bought a month ago.

"I moved to Nelson just before xmas, and I've got maybe 15 days on the hill and I've spent pretty much every day moving the bindings around trying to find something that'll work. I just never managed to find something that didn't feel weird, and I've been losing my mind wondering what was going on. It always felt like my toe side turns weren't as smooth as my heelside, and they kept overcarving and bouncing me over to my heelside-nose edge.

On Saturday, in desperation, I moved my bindings back to my 10 year old Libtech Litigator, just to see if it was me. And I was ripping up the doubleblacks just like I used to.

So I decided to stop messing around with the YES and try to trade it or something and was poking around the internet to find some info to include with the ad when I found this at evo.com:

"Asymmetrical true twin shape with a “deeper” heel sidecut than toe. Using a smaller radius sidecut on the heel edge the Asym helps you initiate and hold heelside turns and rides switch better than you thought possible." (this can be found here: Yes. Pick Your Line Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo )

And I thought to myself "that can't be right. Cause if the sidecut is asymmetric, that'd mean that the board is only meant to be ridden left foot forward." Me, I ride goofy.

So I put a tape measure to the board, and sure enough the binding holes sit closer to the edge on the left than on the right.

At first I was relieved - it was nice to know that I wasn't nuts, that there was a reason why I'd never managed to get the bindings perfect. I tried today to slide the bindings over a bit more to compensate for the asym, but it still felt weird.

But then I got kinda pissed. After you first showed me the board, I checked out Yes' website, I checked out reviews, I looked up the specs, and I never saw it mentioned that this board is asymmetric, just that it's "directional". I just went back to YES' site to double check, and there's no mention of the fact that if you're goofy and you want to ride this board, you may be screwed. It seems like that's kind of an important piece of info to have. If I'd have had it in December, I would've bought something else"

[end of exerpt]

So - what's going on? Is the Pick your line an asymetrical directional? Or is mine defective? If it's asymmetric directional, why doesn't it say so on Yes' site? Or is Evo's description wrong? But then why is my board not symmetrical?

Anyways, |'ve got these questions in to the dealer, so we'll see what they say - but I thought I'd ask the internet in the meantime.

For reference, the distance from the edge to the centre of each binding screw hole on the tail of the board are as follows (I don't have my calipers here, so these were done with a tape - and are therefore not super precise, though I did do them several times):

In mm

L R
113 116
114 117
115 119
117 120
118 121

Last edited by Shortround; 01-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Shortround is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

PYL is not an asym. Only the Great Beauties is asym.
bebop_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
d15

You got a defective board. Nidecker's had problems with their production.

Can I ask where the board was made?

And edit: This board is not asymetrical.
d15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Pics first. I really can't understand what is up here. Maybe you have a perfect twin, and you were not aligning with the heel edge?

At First when reading the OP, it sounds like the common problem, people thinking a perfect twin is directional, you align with the heel side edge, no matter the stance....but then.....

If this is a defect...crazy....
vibes man, you need some good snowboard karma soon. You have all the pow.....at least you have that.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 01-24-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
d15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Pics first. I really can't understand what is up here. Maybe you have a perfect twin, and you were not aligning with the heel edge?

At First when reading the OP, it sounds like the common problem, people thinking a perfect twin is directional, you align with the heel side edge, no matter the stance....but then.....

vibes man, you need some good snowboard karma soon. You have all the pow.....at least you have that.

This is not a perfect twin. Did you even visit the Yes site?
d15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

That sucks. I was just about to say spin the board the other way, but in this case you can't. Sorry to hear about that.
nickwarrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Did you ever measure to see if it was a directional board. I could see a board getting the wrong top sheet/base on it but not a completely unique shape.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Did you ever measure to see if it was a directional board. I could see a board getting the wrong top sheet/base on it but not a completely unique shape.
Well yeah - setback looks right, and the nose on the yes is wider than the tail, so it's pretty obvious that it is directional.

If it's defective, then I guess that there's two most likely options - one is that the binding mounting plate is too far left, and two is that the edge/sidecut radius is out of spec. I don't know enough about snowboard manufacture to know how either would happen.

Thinking about it last night, I figured that with a square, I could trace the radius of the sidecuts onto the middle of the board and compare them that way. But I kind of don't want to spend money on the square, particularly as it's so obvious that the board is not right. I mean, now that I know what to look for, you can see that the screw holes don't match the edges.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15 View Post
This is not a perfect twin. Did you even visit the Yes site?
Defect could mean printed graphics of GB, on the PYL too, think outside the box man.

My ASYM race board is goofy directional.....

vibes again, call warranty.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

So just to be clear, in the following pics the screw hole being measured is always at the left of the screen; the second picture of each set is reversed. If this board were symmetric, the measurements should be the same.

Left rear screw (Measured from edge of topsheet):

Right rear:

Front left

Right front:

The tail