Board Confusion: 6'4" 215lbs Size 12 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
hawk45

Default Board Confusion: 6'4" 215lbs Size 12

Hi all.. .yep, I'm a noob. I've been reading tread after thread and getting more confused.

I'm 6'4" 215lbs Size 12 boot. I plan to do all mountain riding .. no park.

So am I looking for a wide board in the 160's? I want something decent but not highend.. something I can grow with.

I can cover the boots and binds on my own..

Thanks for the help.

Hawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trace63

Rome Flag 163 or 168cm

or ever a Rome Manual
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

if ur a noob you should go for a shorter board so u can learn faster, i'd say 160
nyckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
hawk45

Would a 160 be the absolute minimum? And will a wide board make it harder to turn/stop?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trace63

160 would be pushing from what Ive read. Wait for a more experienced opinion but I doubt that size would be good for you. When I checked around for mine, at 6'4 and 220lb the average size I was told to get was a 165+. So I found a Rome Flag 168 for 300 and snatched it. A 160 would be really minimum I would guess and would give you a more park ride rather than an all mountain.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
hawk45

Good deal.. I'll wait for more responses.

Also, is a twin directional better? Does it make you a better rider to be able to ride normal and goofy?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i weigh 95kg which i think is more or less the same as you.

when i learnt to ride, it was on a 154 sized board. after a while of riding, i stepped up to a 160 if i recall correctly and the difference was notably significant. the bigger board altho feeling like it needed more effort to turn, was far more stable and on the whole, 'felt like a much better fit'.

the smaller boards are more 'twitchy'. this can be good for newbs, as they are easier to initiate and realise turns. however, this is a double edged sword and the small plank might tend to 'turn' when you don't want it to, aka you catch an edge.

having said this, going too small when learning is not necessarily a bad thing.... but if you want 'something to grow into' and / or if as i suspect, you are looking forward to going off piste to carve up the fresh, instead of hitting the park kickers, a longer board would suit you better.

my learner board sucked balls on fresh snow, and the need to maintain optimal speed was destracting from the enjoyment itself. the longer board might 'seem' tougher to turn, but that was only a comparative problem i personally encountered.

if i were you, i would look for a soft flexing (ie intermediate) board of the correct length... for your weight (height is irrelevent, but foot size is an issue that might need a 'wide' board) i reckon a 162 +/- 2 or 3cm would work well.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
hawk45

Excellent.. thanks for your feedback Paolo.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Paolo's spot on.

Do you know what kind of riding you want to do? If you like more freestyle riding, and playing around with jumps, spins, and presses, you'll like a shorter board (160-162 maybe). If you like just straight freeride, you want something a little longer (163-165). And for a powder board, look in the upper 160s.

Those numbers are just ballparks. Keep in mind every board has it's own personality.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
hawk45

I'm old (35 yrs) so no park stuff for me (jumps/rails/etc). I just want to carve up the mtn.