Lib tech Dark Series or another lib tech board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib tech Dark Series or another lib tech board?

Let me start by stating that I am 6ft, roughly 210-215lbs and I have a size 12 boot (K2 darkos).

I want an aggressive all mountain freestyle board that can shred groomers, hit the back country, float in pow and hit the park from time to time. More than anything, i want a fun responsive board that i can do anything with. All though i have not ridden in some time, i would consider me self a moderate to advanced rider.

I was origionally going to purchase the skunk ape 161, but the guy im getting it through (im getting a serious hookup) is sold out of them.

He then stated that he could get me the Dark Series in a 161w, but there does not seem to be a tremendous amount of literature about this board online. I know the dark series is the stiffest board in the lib tech line, and that it still has the C2BTX technology of the skunk ape.

Do i absolutely have to ride a wide board because of my boot size? (size 12)

Based upon my size and riding style is the dark series in a 161w going to be the best board for me? What other boards in the lib tech line might be a good fit? I would also consider the TRS or perhaps something else in the T.rice line.

Thank you!
SubyDude05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Dark Series is really an aggressive and responsive board for sure, but it sucks in the park. If you intend to do park on a regular basis, although not your main focus, I'd get something else. To my understanding, the TRS would be better for you.

As for the width it really depends on if your boots are made big or not. I have no clue for the Darkos, but I wear 12 myself, and with my new Burton, I probably should not have gotten a wide board... It also depends what kind of stance you ride.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I thought the TRS was softer, along the lines of the Never Summer SL?
I've got last years T.Rice, 161.5, it's a midwide, and my 12's fit with an acceptable amount of overhang (for me).
I think I have angles of 15/-12. My boots measure 12 1/2" long
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go for it man it just wont be much fun on rails but it will rip everything else.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got the 2011 Lib Tech Dark series. Its an awesome board, like everyone says its aggressive and responsive and stable at high speeds. When i lend it to friends they all comment on how well it grips the snow. its good for hitting jumps and has alot of pop but its not good for rails.

For your boot size you will defiantly need a wide board as the dark series is narrower than most boards. Considering your weight it might be better to go for a 164W. I have a 158cm regular board and i sink in powder with it, however i have ridden the 161W and it was a dream machine. Im 6 foot 165 pounds. You might get away with 161W, but im not so confident about that.

The TRS might be a better choice for you its got basically the same board profile as the dark series, it just as stiff (Rated flex is 7 vs 7.5 for the dark series), has magnetraction and is true twin tip unlike the dark series which is directional twin (makes riding switch a little awkward).

If your getting an awesome deal on the dark series i highly recommend it. I love the board personally and haven't found anything better.
Kwanzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the input. The reason I want the 161 over the 164 is because i want a bit more of a playful board. And i was looking at the TRS but I think my boots (size 12) might be a little to big for it. Im getting more sold on the dark series as time goes on...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
The Dark Series is really an aggressive and responsive board for sure, but it sucks in the park. If you intend to do park on a regular basis, although not your main focus, I'd get something else. To my understanding, the TRS would be better for you.

As for the width it really depends on if your boots are made big or not. I have no clue for the Darkos, but I wear 12 myself, and with my new Burton, I probably should not have gotten a wide board... It also depends what kind of stance you ride.
Thats interesting you say it sucks in the park, because this board is advertised as a really aggressive freestyle board thats good for stomping jumps...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyDude05 View Post
Thats interesting you say it sucks in the park, because this board is advertised as a really aggressive freestyle board thats good for stomping jumps...
I think he means it sucks at rails. It's awesome for jumps.
Kwanzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyDude05 View Post
I can see it be good for stomping large jumps, but a park board should be forgiving, something the Dark really is not.

It really is not a good board for jibbing, pressing, etc.

Outside the park, it is an amazing board.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

T. Rice or Dark Series should do the trick