How much should I downsize? What should I jump on? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default How much should I downsize? What should I jump on?

Hey guys.
If you looked at my other thread about boots (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...-downsize.html) I recently went from a pair of size US 11.5 DC Park Boots to a pair of size US 9.5 32 boots.
My main thing when looking at boards when I had the Park Boots was waist width because being forced to ride L/XL bindings and ride wide boards to avoid toe/heel drag I usually have to look at boards size 151 and up to ride them wide enough. Now that this is no longer the case I want to start to ride my boards a lot shorter especially since I am a park rat. I am 5'9" and 135 pounds and not expecting to get much bigger. How short do you guys think I can get away with without it being TOO short.
Any boards I buy will be STRICTLY park boards so mid to soft flexing TRUE TWINS. Preferably Camber but can dig some rocker/hybrid. Really like my DC PLY so would not mind something along those lines but also love my Rome Artifact Rocker 152 Wide even though now I don't need the wide.

CheoSamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Just ride what you have now. Going down 2 or 3 cm to take advantage of your newer boots isn't going to give you that big of an advantage.

If you want a tip, wait for 2013. Torstein has a new pro model coming out which is basically a fusion of the MLF (high end sintered base, triax glass and poppy core) with the PLY (lock and load camber and sidecut). Will MSRP for $450.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Just ride what you have now. Going down 2 or 3 cm to take advantage of your newer boots isn't going to give you that big of an advantage.

If you want a tip, wait for 2013. Torstein has a new pro model coming out which is basically a fusion of the MLF (high end sintered base, triax glass and poppy core) with the PLY (lock and load camber and sidecut). Will MSRP for $450.
Wow. That's pretty sick. I love the feel of my DC PLY but was very interested in the MLF this year. They seem pretty similar but I think the MLF has a bit more pop. Is the board you are talking about the one he was riding at this years Dew Tour with the Blue Base with the DC Symbol in black and a dynamite stick on the top sheet?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Don't know, probably. The Torstein PLY was still in the catalog (probably as a price point option) but the new one is called the Mega. It's a PLY shape with the MLF materials. DC Snowboards 2013 !

It is reported for $430 MSRP but the rep wrote down $450. Not sure which it will be.

DC also has another camber coming out in addition to the 6mm traditional on the MLF and the Lock and Load which is basically Lock and Load (pop zones) but with only a 1.5mm rise. Think it was called micro camber. It's supposed to feel like a flat board but with a bit more pop.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Torstein Horgmo Run 2 & Gjermund Braaten Interview - Winter Dew Tour Breck Snowboard Slopestyle - YouTube here is video from the Dew Tour this year with the board I was talking about.

edit- REALLY not diggin the new graphics on the DC line except for on the ply that has the speakers on it. mainly on the PBJ

Last edited by CheoSamad; 01-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the smallest board i personally have is a 147, i weigh 150lbs, 5'6 with a size 9 boot, and thats really the smallest id go. only even really bought cause i got it for 100$ but surprisingly enough it lasted me longer then any other board ive ever owned and i still take it off 50+ foot jumps on occasion. though when i do take it off jumps i have to make sure to land perfectly center or else its gonna fold out from under me so.