I have a bone to pick with the Rome 390's - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trace63

Default I have a bone to pick with the Rome 390's

Alright so as many of you man know I just got my first setup. Rome Flag 168cm w/ Rome 390 bindings and Burton White collection boots. I just got the boots in yesterday. Thank the LORD that they fit. I got a size 13 because I heard Burton makes their boots slightly larger and wider. And yep, they fit pretty well. Once they pack out they'll be perfect.

Anyways, so I put the boots into the bindings (still BIG overhang which sucks; but I will try to correct that a little bit later tonight) and I try to close the straps. WTF! The toe strap like barely reaches around my toe, and after my binding adjustments I have a feeling I might need to wear them over the top of the boots rather than my preferred in front of toe orientation.
Now the worst part--> The ankle strap just BARELY reaches. I have it on its full extension and I still have to struggle to get in to strap in.
Rome WTF guys?

Anybody ever found a solution to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

did you get your bindings too small?
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Always a good idea to try bindings/boots together IMO, and if buying online, get the store to try the bindings and boots for you to make sure they fit.

Have you contacted Rome? Maybe they can send you longer ladders. Also, have you adjusted the bindings to their biggest size?

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
gu1llerm0

I have 12 whites in 390s..I'd be surprised if 13s were that much worse. I even have the heel cup on the middle setting. Did you set this all the way back? Did you set both straps to the forward position at their pivot point?

Also, my 07 whites packed out a %*$load. They became way too soft for my taste and massive heel lift. Food for thought if you're riding a flag and wanting a bit more response out of your boots.

You might be better off with a smaller footprint boot. I tossed my whites in the gutter and picked up some F22. it's amazing how much smaller the footprint is when you compare them side-by-side, especially up at the toe area.

Last edited by gu1llerm0; 03-12-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trace63

Yeah I'll try contacting Rome. The bindings are a L/XL. And like I said they FIT it just isnt very smooth and simple to get them to catch. Although, I did move the straps back one hole to get the most control. I might move them up one and that should help a bit. I wanted to move the heel back a little but thats a no go right now. haha. Ill try it but I doubt that would help the situation.

And FYI, I usually wear a 13-14 sneaker so the 13's are a little tight. Which is good because when they pack out they'll be perfect. Plus these have those J heel inserts. I was looking at Salomons but I dont feel safe with the whole speed lacing systems. If those break thats it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
ecave84

The toe strap pushes through the base and has two positions. Make sure its on the forward position. When i first got my targas the heel strap was a little stiff so it wasnt as easy to strap in. after a few runs they broke in and they are fine now. Im sure after a day on the mountain you will find the same thing.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have Rome 390s with size 12 Northwave boots (big footprint) and the ankle strap just barely reaches...but it works. I does make it a little tougher to strap in. I'd love to hear if Rome has a solution for this because I wouldn't mind making the straps a little longer if possible.

I do like the bindings though. When I get new boots (next year maybe) I'm sure the bindings will work much better.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

as for the ankle strap and ladder, look at where they are connected to the binding. you can move them forward towards the front to allow for more play. rome bindings are the most customizable out there. my friend rides em on a size 13 boot and loves them.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
andrew_schenk

it seems like you guys just have to adjust them to fit your boot.. when i got my targas, my 10.5 boots were tough to strap in, but after setting up the bindings properly and riding one day on them they are more than perfect.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrwilco View Post
as for the ankle strap and ladder, look at where they are connected to the binding. you can move them forward towards the front to allow for more play. rome bindings are the most customizable out there. my friend rides em on a size 13 boot and loves them.
I moved them back on purpose because I felt like they held me in better from that angle. They still fit great, and I like them a lot, but it takes a little extra work to be the ratchets to engage. I think my old Northwave boots are just beefy.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote