Help me design my custom board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me design my custom board

Weight: 163lbs
Height: 5'6
Boot size : 11
Location of riding: Canadian Rockies

Alright guys, whats up. New member here and I signed up because I am looking for your expertise. Ive been riding for about a bit over 10 years now and I have always pushed myself to find the hardest terrain I can handle. Growing up in Ottawa, Canada that meant going to Tremblant but even then I quickly got good enough that none of the runs at Tremblant were challenging. So then I started flying west to the rockies and, well, I found terrain I couldnt handle Overall I dont spend much time in the park... I wrecked my spleen at age 19 while snowboarding and it was very serious, spent 2weeks on morphine in the hospital, missed my 13th grade high school exams, etc. So although it was a freak accident where I caught a edge after landing a v small jump, it made me realize that the risks of injury were not worth the satisfaction of grinding a rail etc. I do like to take jumps but limit myself to just straight air / easy grabs. No spins for me tyvm.

What I really really love is riding steep powder (bowls) but that only happens a couple times a year (10day yearly snowboarding trip out west where i pray to hit some powder days). Rest of the times I spend my days riding glades and when I have no choice but to ride on a groomer im using bombing that shit.

So now that you know my snowboarding background here is why I signed up for this forum.

Im looking spend a lot of money on my next snowboard. My current one is pretty bad, too long for me but I got it new and for a great price. I banged it up good for the past 5years and now im looking to invest in a good, custom-made snowboard. My buddy is starting a small snowboarding company (gonna be selling boards, apparel) and this is going to be his first order.

First thing I need to do is figure out what kind of board would be optimal for me. This is where you guys come in. I have NO CLUE on the types of boards that exist, what is better for park or big mountain, etc etc. Once I know what kind of board I need (and the exact measurements of the board) I will be offering a 100$ prize to whoever submits the sickest design/art for my board. I will give a theme (poker) and some guidelines (coming soon) and hopefully I get some people to submit entries. Whoever's entry I chose wins 100$. But before I can approach artists I need to konw the exact measurements of my board (their canvas) that they have to work with.

I think that covers it, if you guys need extra details or information dont hesitate to ask.

OH, and hes a trip report of this years out-west snowboarding trip :
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tri...se-2012-a.html
FouTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

do your own research and design your own snowboard you lazy bum. 100 bucks aint worth shit for all the work that goes into making a snowboard design and graphics.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
do your own research and design your own snowboard you lazy bum. 100 bucks aint worth shit for all the work that goes into making a snowboard design and graphics.
the 100$ isnt for the type of board design its just for the graphics art on the top of the board. Once I have that art i will have it re-done proffessionally and at a picture quality that is acceptable for board production. The 100$ is basically for a good sketch of what teh top of my board would look like but thats not even the point of this post (i will probably end up having one of my artist friends design it for me). This post is about the specific board details.

As for ''do your own research'' I thought that by going to the most popular snowboarding forum on the internet I would be able to find experts at what I am trying to do. Instead I found a hater but thats standard on the internet. Im sure others will post more helpful comments then you did.

also, why u mad bro?

also, i posted a full trip report on this forum as well. Im not here just to 'take', I am also 'giving' to this forum.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

your buddy should have good idea about board design and construction, design depends greatly on his or outsourced manufacturing capabilities.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I guess i missunderstood, i thought you wanted a full blown engineered design and production quality graphics, which would be crazy. sorry dude

still it does feel pretty good to do your own art and see it on a board, "hey i made that" is a good feeling.

If I were you i would have him copy the 2012 ride berzerker 158 Specs. it is probably the perfect ride for you. Maby even ad a tiny bit of taper into it if you dont ride switch much, you can find the specs at thier website.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

these are snowboards i think are SICK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i like dark tips on top
busy graphics in middle
graphiti inspired
i dont car bout bottom

how can i trust youll pay if i put in the man hours to get you a very ballin lookin graphic topsheet please tell me whatr kinda boards you like on the mountain or online

Last edited by bmwalla2; 01-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
bmwalla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

CALLING ALL ARTISTS!!!
I am custom-designing my next snowboard and I need some artists to design the graphics for the top of my snowboard!

Sometime next week I will send out the official request that will include sample images, a list of the theme/expectations and a pdf file containing the canvas / exact size of the board. Whoever wins the 'contract' will be expected to produce a high-quality image (300dpi resolution) and will be paid a fair/competitive price for their work (I will use the markets at 99designs.com and crowdspring.com as a guideline for pricing, probably around 200$).

If you are interested in eventually submitting a entry, send me your email address. Next week once I have all the details figured out, I will send out a email to everyone who is interested with exact instructions on how to submit a entry.

Feel free to share this with artists you know ! !