Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Opinions for a new rider (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/4597-opinions-new-rider.html)

Kinetix 03-12-2008 01:27 PM

Opinions for a new rider

I just started out about a week ago and I feel like I picked it up quickly. I took a 2-hr lesson on hard, icy snow and was linking turns with some confidence by the end of the day. Needless to say, I'm stoked!

Question: The end of the season is approaching and the sales/clearances are getting good, I'm quite excited and already know that I'd spend my time on the slopes and not in the park, should I keep renting for awhile, or shall I put together my own setup for cut-rate prices?

I've been told the Ride Havoc was a good intermediate board to jump to if progression is quick - although I found a $200 2008 Ride Decade which I was considering. Then I saw a recommendation for the Atomic Cold Smoke which is also $200. Thinking 159-161 cm range for all-mountain riding.

Follow that up with the potential (after trying them on) Ride Aspect or Haze boots with Ride Rx bindings ($90).

I'm thinking I can get everything together for <$400.

Any thoughts? I've been quite overwhelmed!

Stats: 5'8" 160 lbs size 9 foot

Gustov 03-12-2008 01:42 PM

im 6'1", 195#, 12 boot, and i ride a 161 all mountain board. you might wanna look a little smaller.

should you buy or not?... that's entirely up to you. do you think you'll get a lot of use out of it if you do buy it? personally i think if you did buy it, it would motivate you to go more. i bought my stuff before ever riding and i got completely addicted after an hour or two. now is definitely the time to buy if you're gonna, but it's entirely up to you.

i have ride bindings and i love them; ride and atomic both make great boards, havoc is stiffer than a decade meaning less forgiving for someone new, both are nice tho. don't really know anything about cold smoke, except the graphics are sweet.:)

Josh 03-12-2008 01:47 PM

You should buy. Some states have discounts as high as 65% at the end of the season and that's the time to buy. Start learning on something you will have for awhile, instead of using someone elses stuff. Personally I would spend most of my time looking at boots. Having uncomfotable boots makes a time at the slopes miserable.

Kinetix 03-12-2008 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression that a board the length of 159-161 cm would be good for slope riding. Would a slightly shorter board actually be recommended?

Eric @ WA 03-12-2008 03:51 PM

At your height I would go with a 156. It'll be a more versatile board compared to a 161 of the same board. The longer board will provide more stability however a 161 at your height would be great for hardcore carving. The 156 will still serve well in freeride (provided it's a freeride board) and also all you the ease (per se) of adding some freestyle to it.

sedition 03-12-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric @ WA (Post 42371)
At your height I would go with a...

MYTH: Height has relevence on what size board you should ride.

TRUTH: Weight, boot size, and manufactures weight/boot recomendations for a given deck are what really count.

Kinetix 03-12-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 42376)

TRUTH: Weight, boot size, and manufactures weight/boot recomendations for a given deck are what really count.

Right, I've taken this advice seriously when making this consideration.

So:
2008 Ride Decade 160cm $200
2008 Atomic Cold Smoke 160cm $200
Something else
Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Eric @ WA 03-12-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 42376)

I agree to an extent. In regards to my particular example, I'm also the same height as OP and I can't spin a 161 like I can with my 156. BUT when using a buddy's 161 I carve like a champ compared to my 156 of the same board.

sedition 03-12-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric @ WA (Post 42392)
I agree to an extent. I'm also the same height as OP and I can't spin a 161 like I can with my 156. BUT when using a buddy's 161 I carve like a champ compared to my 156 of the same board.

Right. And does how tall you are really effect the boards ability to turn? My guess is prolly not.

crazyface 03-12-2008 06:30 PM

were will you be doing you riding?(east or west)if it is on the east coast then i would strongly recommend a gnu or lib tech board that has magnetraction. magnetraction makes a HUGE difference on ice and edgehold in general. i just got a new lib tech board with magnetraction and it has made an unbelievably impact on my riding.