Opinions for a new rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kinetix

Default Opinions for a new rider

I just started out about a week ago and I feel like I picked it up quickly. I took a 2-hr lesson on hard, icy snow and was linking turns with some confidence by the end of the day. Needless to say, I'm stoked!

Question: The end of the season is approaching and the sales/clearances are getting good, I'm quite excited and already know that I'd spend my time on the slopes and not in the park, should I keep renting for awhile, or shall I put together my own setup for cut-rate prices?

I've been told the Ride Havoc was a good intermediate board to jump to if progression is quick - although I found a $200 2008 Ride Decade which I was considering. Then I saw a recommendation for the Atomic Cold Smoke which is also $200. Thinking 159-161 cm range for all-mountain riding.

Follow that up with the potential (after trying them on) Ride Aspect or Haze boots with Ride Rx bindings ($90).

I'm thinking I can get everything together for <$400.

Any thoughts? I've been quite overwhelmed!

Stats: 5'8" 160 lbs size 9 foot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gustov

im 6'1", 195#, 12 boot, and i ride a 161 all mountain board. you might wanna look a little smaller.

should you buy or not?... that's entirely up to you. do you think you'll get a lot of use out of it if you do buy it? personally i think if you did buy it, it would motivate you to go more. i bought my stuff before ever riding and i got completely addicted after an hour or two. now is definitely the time to buy if you're gonna, but it's entirely up to you.

i have ride bindings and i love them; ride and atomic both make great boards, havoc is stiffer than a decade meaning less forgiving for someone new, both are nice tho. don't really know anything about cold smoke, except the graphics are sweet.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Josh

You should buy. Some states have discounts as high as 65% at the end of the season and that's the time to buy. Start learning on something you will have for awhile, instead of using someone elses stuff. Personally I would spend most of my time looking at boots. Having uncomfotable boots makes a time at the slopes miserable.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kinetix

Thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression that a board the length of 159-161 cm would be good for slope riding. Would a slightly shorter board actually be recommended?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

At your height I would go with a 156. It'll be a more versatile board compared to a 161 of the same board. The longer board will provide more stability however a 161 at your height would be great for hardcore carving. The 156 will still serve well in freeride (provided it's a freeride board) and also all you the ease (per se) of adding some freestyle to it.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric @ WA View Post
At your height I would go with a...
MYTH: Height has relevence on what size board you should ride.

TRUTH: Weight, boot size, and manufactures weight/boot recomendations for a given deck are what really count.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kinetix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post

TRUTH: Weight, boot size, and manufactures weight/boot recomendations for a given deck are what really count.
Right, I've taken this advice seriously when making this consideration.

So:
2008 Ride Decade 160cm $200
2008 Atomic Cold Smoke 160cm $200
Something else
Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post

I agree to an extent. In regards to my particular example, I'm also the same height as OP and I can't spin a 161 like I can with my 156. BUT when using a buddy's 161 I carve like a champ compared to my 156 of the same board.

Last edited by Eric @ WA; 03-12-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric @ WA View Post
I agree to an extent. I'm also the same height as OP and I can't spin a 161 like I can with my 156. BUT when using a buddy's 161 I carve like a champ compared to my 156 of the same board.
Right. And does how tall you are really effect the boards ability to turn? My guess is prolly not.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

were will you be doing you riding?(east or west)if it is on the east coast then i would strongly recommend a gnu or lib tech board that has magnetraction. magnetraction makes a HUGE difference on ice and edgehold in general. i just got a new lib tech board with magnetraction and it has made an unbelievably impact on my riding.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote