water proof rating - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
chaser

Default water proof rating

What waterproof rating should I look for in a pair of snow pants to ensure my butt isn't getting soaked every time I go out in this warm weather. I have a pair of grenade pants I got pretty cheap. Don't recall what the water proof rating is on them, but I was wet within the first 30 minutes of being on the hill. Not from falling either, just from sitting down to strap in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
b_to_the_c

i'd stick with pants with a 10k rating and above. can't go wrong with gore-tex either if you don't mind dropping the extra $. steepandcheap.com and whiskeymilitia.com have snow pants up all the time. you should be able to find a ridiculously good deal on something that'll help keep you from getting swamp butt.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want the ultimate, it's got to be Gore-tex... but look to pay a premium for that.
Aside from that, I'd say at least 15,000 with fully taped seams and that should get you through most days. I'd also be weary of what brand you get and even compare pants within the same brand. I had 25k rated dub pants and i'm not sure what fabric they used for waterproofing but it soaked easily after a couple months. If it's laminated rather than coated on too that's a plus.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote