Arbor Coda or NS Proto? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Arbor Coda or NS Proto?

Just got back from a trip to Nagano and spent 2 days on my Volkl Zenit which is a fairly stiff camber freeride board that does well in pow. Thing is I put some rocker into the tip DIY style and it has worked really well improving the float and making it easier in the powder.
I won't go into detail here I will add a full review to the original thread, here is the thread on the DIY rockered tip.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...in-hybrid.html

Problem is my other board is a 158 highlife which is very similar in that its a stiff aggressive freeride deck that also does well in pow.

While I was rediscovering the Volkl my buddy was falling in love with my 2011 Highlife and wants to buy it.

I figure this is a good chance to broaden my quiver a little and I am thinking all mountain freestyle deck (twin or very twinish so I can ride switch just as well).

After looking at a few options I have my eye on the Proto or an Arbor coda.

I ride in very good conditions only and don't really do park so I am not so worried about arbors reputation for being a little on the flimsy side, it won't be taking a lot of hits.

I ride a lot of powder and almost never on icy hard stuff. I love to freeride, but have been getting more into playing around and freestyle recently. 3s,1s and grabs as well as some presses.

The board needs to be able to handle pow very well, not super deep as I will get the Volkl out for those days and ultimately I may get a pow specific deck too. It should handle some turns at pretty fast speeds although I don't expect it to do mach 10 like my freeride deck. Rather than rail turns (great if it can do that too) I want a more surfy feel that goes edge to edge quick and easily.

I want good pop and light weight is ideal.

Would love to hear from people who have ridden or own these decks and or recommendations for other decks that might fit the bill.

Your help appreciated.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

probably the coda performance wise, it is the more all mountain type board. but ive been seeing stuff that shows just dropping an arbor board will damage it, so i dunno
Old 01-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have an arbor blacklist and have yet to have any problems with the top or bottom of the board. Also the sl would be more inline with the coda both great boards also look at the signal omni. I have no problems with my sl on jumps or pulling a 540 here and there, even rails and butters can be done on the sl. While the proto can handle pow the sl and coda will do a much much better job.
readimag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a proto and love it. Can't compare to the coda, but it handles pow as good as my friend's powder skis (I ride with all skiers), handles turn's swiftly, and has tons of pop. Plus, it's super durable which honestly really is needed, there is always going to be one guy at the bottom of the lift that will run over your board and chip it by accident.
nickwarrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readimag View Post
I have an arbor blacklist and have yet to have any problems with the top or bottom of the board. Also the sl would be more inline with the coda both great boards also look at the signal omni. I have no problems with my sl on jumps or pulling a 540 here and there, even rails and butters can be done on the sl. While the proto can handle pow the sl and coda will do a much much better job.
Signal Omni huh?

Have you ridden it?
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, just yesterday I was able to borrow the board from a friend and he used my blacklist. I was very surprised how the boarded handled just like any hybrid profile board. Flex was a lot like a SL, strong when going on and off trail but you can still hit a jump or rail with it. Did not get to hit any pow with it but being a rocker I am sure it will do fine in anything but the extreme pow days. This all being said the coda was also one of the best strait rocker boards for all mtn I have ridden in a while. Wish you were not in japan so you could get some demo boards out there to try.
readimag is online now   Reply With Quote