Female Gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
booyakasha

Default Female Gear

So i got my girlfriend into boarding last sunday (sucked another one in..whoot) and she was interested in getting some equipment. Although i discouraged her from dropping a bunch of money at the end of the season when she just started, she still wants to know what to get theoretically.

As for me, i only know guy's boards so i was wondering if you guys could help me out in terms of what kinda board, bindings, and boots to get. She wants to spend about $900 for everything including snowpants and jacket as well (pretty good chunk of money to get something decent). Actually, anyone who's compelled to drop down a list of things to get would be cool too.

i.e.
Board
Boots
Bindings
Jacket
Snowboard pants
etc...

In terms of what she is...about 125 lbs, 5'4, and pretty sure she's not wide in the feet or anything like that. If any of ya can help, that would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb $625 baseline

$222 ROME Vinyl Snowboard
$120 ROME Bastille Boot
$104 UNION BINDINGS Cadet Lady
$ 80 FORUM Spree Puffy Jacket
$ 80 FOURSQUARE Linda Pant
$ 32 DAKINE Catera Mitt
$ 75 ELECTRIC EG.5 Goggles
$ 22 COAL Argyle Beanie

So $625 would be your baseline, and you can go up from there with First Layer, Belts, and accessories.

Note: Depending on where you live, a good winter coat and gloves are priceless. An Investment in your comfort. So as they say in my house, If Mama ain't happy (cold) nobody's happy!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
thebutress

forget buying boots online. rotten idea.

I don't know what yer girl is like, but more than half of the appeal of the clothes is going to be how she looks in them, again, not too easy to buy online. Considering how different coat and pant fits are, a trip to a shop or 2 or 3 is a must, if only to find what brands and styles fit / look the best.

From my wife's personal experience, I'd say go with a shell jacket, and invest in layers, puffy's get a little warm, depending on season and where you board. We have to travel to board, so flexibility is a must.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Better off telling us where ur from, dood, cuz most people on here could recommend a few shops that have sales.

If you're in Toronto, I'd suggest boardzone right now (closing sale), or the ski/snowboard show coming up at the beginning of next season. Great deals, and lots of time to save ur pennies.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

thats great that you got your girl into riding. We need more estrogen on the slopes! I dont know if you live near any snowboard shops, but I highly reccomend taking a trip and trying on some gear to see what she likes/ what fits right. Womens gear is notorious for fitting funny and all of the companies cut their clothes different.

As per my experience I would reccomend looking into
32 lashed boots.
Burton gore-tex glove/mitt. (i've had these for 2 years and m hands are always dry and warm and they come with liners)
Suburban is right the eg5 goggles are great and they even come in spherical now.
Betty rides makes sick girls outerwear, but I usually buy what fits good/has a good waterproof rating and is on sale.
Depending on where your riding,buy a facemask.

As far as a board, everything is on clearance now dogfunk.com has some great deals and their customer service is awesome.
Same with bindings, dont cheap out because cheap bindings break and thats no fun.

Anyways i've got to leave for work, but if i get some time later ill hook you up with some links for female snowboarding gear. For now have her visit, Shred Betties: A Women's Snowboarding Magazine
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Augie09

I'd check out sierrasnowboards.com also, they have some great sales. my bud just got a $750 set up for just over $300.

When I helped pick out my girls gear, she knew nothing about the tech, just wanted to like the way it looked, graphics, etc... So I picked out a handful of boards and bindings I knew to be good, let her pick her favorite. Rome Vinyl and some Forum Bindings (cause she liked the gold bling on 'em, lol).

as for boots, went to shops and tried some one, I tried to only steer her towards Boa's or quick pull laces, since I didn't want to tie her boots every morning. got some boas

She really digs her special blend coat and the Anon googles are pretty good, lots of finishes to choose from. And I think 686 pants.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
booyakasha

thanks guys...in terms of more info. I live in the midwest (chicago), so in terms of bitter cold...we have that here (except without the snow). There aren't too many shops that i'm aware of besides VIKING, DICKS, SPORTS AUTHORITY, and SHRED SHOP. This is probably why i rather buy online than go to those stores due to limited selection. I'll definitely recommend goin to a shop for boot fitting though.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
N~R~G

well Dicks & SA are all about the Burton gear, so if style is what she's going for, you should have no problem there.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
thebutress

do a little lookin around up there, I know theres a moosejaw store (not big mind you) and a few others, it will take a little research, but i'm sure you can find some places to check out your options. have fun!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
N~R~G

snowboard in Chicago - YELLOWPAGES.COM