Burton or something else? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizzie View Post
So, to start out with
Height: 5'2
Weight: 58 kg (127 lbs)
Boot size: EUR 37/ US 6,5
I ride in the Alps mostly.
I guess I characterize my style as borderline aggressive rather than timid.

So bottom line, I would like a board that would be comfortable at high speeds as well as with jumps (don't know about rails, never tried) and more responsive than my old one.

Many thanks in advance!
Liz
Hi Lizzie,

I'm not advocating Burton, but think you should demo gear before you buy. In addition, you might want to PM Wiredsport about suggestions for a Bataleon snowboard, I think Bataleon is from Europe (and also does demos). As for myself, I currently ride a Neversummer, but don't see any NS demos in Europe.

Others you might want to try; Elan and Salomon.

Events | Burton Snowboards
Bataleon ::

Hope this helps Nito
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, width wise the Eminence in both sizes is about the same as the B Pro - 1mm difference. Also for the weight (143 is for 90-135lbs and 146 for 105-150lbs), I could get away with both choices. I'm just worried that the 146 might prove to be harder to handle (allergic reaction from the 150 feelgood), though then again it will be better in powder and like you said, offer more stability. Plus! The 146 is on sale and the 143 is not, so 146?

PS Yes, I think it's a definite possibility that I might love it.. Partly the reason why I'm scared I guess - how will I justify years and years of Burton addiction in that case
I hear you about the "allergic reaction from the 150." For years I rode a stiff, heavy 151. I could have gone with a 149 in the B Pro, but went with the 146 for the reason that a 149 was a bit too close to my 151, and I wanted to try a smaller size. From my experience, the 146 is way easy to handle.

If it were me, I would go with the 146 especially because it's on sale! (Love deals haha).

As suggested above, try and demo before you decide if you can
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

So, I just wanted to say a big Thanks to everyone for the wise words and suggestions You're lovely. You've just made a girl happier than a 5-year-old in a candy store! )

Roxy Eminence 146 bought and tested and I LOVE it! It did take a bit longer to get used to as this really is a whole other animal.. But once you do you just don't want to stop anymore. It almost feels like cheating, I swear!

The conditions were half way to horrible (-20C, windy, half the slopes were ice), but it did not fail me once. The edge hold was absolutely amazing (imho, the technology deserves all the praise it has gotten and then some!) and 146 was just perfect size wise. I can see how this might become a bit squirrely in perhaps another size, but for this one, I don't have a bad word to say about the stability. It really was a breeze to handle.
The only thing that I felt could have been improved was the speed. It wasn't anything to complain about really, but in some occasions I almost found the base sticky and I expected it to go faster. I'm not sure whether that was just because of the temp + it being a new board bla bla and it'll get better. Hopefully.

Overall though, could not be happier - this was exactly what I was looking for in a board.
(That said, I think I have to find other bindings though - the bindings just were not of the same caliber as the board.. I might just be spoiled, but going from Lexas to Stilettos was a step down -.-)

Again, thanks so much

Liz
MsLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sounds like the board just needs a wax to overcome the speed problem. Out of interest, where a bouts in the Alps are you?
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nice board and nice to have a twin. I think you will really process in your riding. I did when I switched to rocker camber. It's nice to know the board will keep up with whatever you ride. The escapades were a good burton binding but it looks like they're only making them in est now. I use the salomon absolute premium bindings with salomon boots.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Awesome to hear you love it!!

As Slush Puppie said, the speed issue sounds like a wax thing. I noticed the same thing you described with mine when it was new. Once waxed, it was a world of difference. Both our boards have the 9900 sintered base so keeping it well waxed seems to make it happy. Wax it up before your next time out and you'll see

As for bindings, I haven't ridden the Burton Lexas or Stilettos but have the Union Milan on mine. Other bindings I was considering to pair up with it were the Flux GM30, the Rome Madison, and (briefly) the K2 Agogo.

There are many solid binding options out there; check out shayboarder for good reviews on other bindings if you're looking.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Slush, I currently live in Frankfurt, so I go all over the Alps - this time was Warth-Schröcken in Arlberg, Austria. Care to join? Not that many Snowboarders around here it seems, heh.

EatRideSleep, I will certainly give have a loot at those bindings. I did already consider Unities, but kind of like this board, it seems to be a pain to find them in Europe.. Might be wrong, I didn't really look that hard anyway. I will tonight though. I've also heard good things about the the Escapades and Rome Madisons, so will read up!

And thanks, both of you, for the wax tip, I will do. First I need to find a decent shop in this town though - last one made a scratch on my feelgood the size of a crater. -.- I'm not happy.

Last edited by MsLizzie; 02-06-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Slush, I currently live in Frankfurt, so I go all over the Alps - this time was Warth-Schröcken in Arlberg, Austria. Care to join? Not that many Snowboarders around here it seems, heh.

EatRideSleep, I will certainly give have a loot at those bindings. I did already consider Unities, but kind of like this board, it seems to be a pain to find them in Europe.. Might be wrong, I didn't really look that hard anyway. I will tonight though. I've also heard good things about the the Escapades and Rome Madisons, so will read up!

And thanks, both of you, for the wax tip, I will do. First I need to find a decent shop in this town though - last one made a scratch on my feelgood the size of a crater. -.- I'm not happy.
As for waxing, you can always start doing it yourself. Check out this link for Snowolf's videos on how-to http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html There are also tons of other threads about waxes and waxing.

I'm all for working with a shop when I can, but I understand sometimes it's difficult finding ones you trust. Perhaps you can search or post in the International forum here to see if other members know of any good shops in the Frankfurt area?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Haha, I'm needed to make up the numbers am I? ) Sadly the nearest I can do is Mayrhofen in April...

As for waxing - for the cost of getting it done in the a shop a few times you can buy an iron and wax, then you know it's done right every time and you can keep it topped up as often as you like. But otherwise I guess you need to ask around where's good - I'm sure there are some good ones. But after my experiences so far, I don't really trust them to take care of your gear or do a good job.
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Aww, I meant it in the nicest way and there you go turning it around on me! Mean!
Mayrhofen good then? (I only moved here recently - was mostly in Scandinavia before, so I'm only just discovering the Alps)

I've always been too scared of messing everything up to do it myself and there was an excellent shop before I moved, but I think I might look into it now, you're right. Especially after last time..