Burton or something else? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton or something else?

So, to start out with
Height: 5'2
Weight: 58 kg (127 lbs)
Boot size: EUR 37/ US 6,5
I ride in the Alps mostly.
I guess I characterize my style as borderline aggressive rather than timid.

I have been riding my Burton Feelgood ES 150, which was a gift (yes, yes, I know, a bit too big for me perhaps) and it has served me well. However, lately I find myself being a bored by it and would like something more responsive. I do love charging down the mountains with my friends, but lately I have also been secretly poking my nose into parks, trying jumps here and there etc. ..and well, the Feelgood, as much as I love it, is fairly awkward in the park.

So bottom line, I would like a board that would be comfortable at high speeds as well as with jumps (don't know about rails, never tried) and more responsive than my old one.

Due to the fact that I have pretty much only been riding my Burton, I've mostly been looking at Burton - mainly the Blender 145 and also considered a Ration 139/144 and Feelgood 146 aaaand that is where I ran out of ideas.. Any other suggestions (Burton or other - Roxy/Gnu?) or would anyone be able to vouch for the above mentioned models?

Many thanks in advance!
Liz

Last edited by MsLizzie; 01-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
MsLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome

As for "something else"...from Gnu check out the B Pro, from Roxy the Eminence, Neversummer has the Infinity and the Lotus (the Infinity might be a better choice if you're dabbling in the park). The Rome Blue might be a good choice, too.

I ride the B Pro and while I haven't had as many days on it as I would like (injury last season and crap conditions this season), I like it so far. It's responsive yet fun. Haven't had it in the park (on boxes or rails) but this board feels like it "wants" to jump, if that makes sense, and over the little stuff I've done with it, the pop is there and the landings have been solid.

There was a recent thread posted with suggestions from very knowledgeable members that might help you out, too (that new Signal sounds intriquing!): http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ced-board.html
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Heeey, thanks so much for your input! Got my work cut out for me when it comes to research
What about the Roxy Ally? And no opinion on Burton at all?

Also one more thing, and this is probably a stupid question, but how accurate are the weight specifications in the size charts? I would like a shorter board rather than a longer one, but it seems that my weight mostly fits well with the 144-146 boards. I would go for something along the lines of 141 though. For the latter though I am by 2-4 lbs out of the suggested weight range. So would that make a significant difference?

Once more, thanks so much!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizzie View Post
Heeey, thanks so much for your input! Got my work cut out for me when it comes to research
What about the Roxy Ally? And no opinion on Burton at all?

Also one more thing, and this is probably a stupid question, but how accurate are the weight specifications in the size charts? I would like a shorter board rather than a longer one, but it seems that my weight mostly fits well with the 144-146 boards. I would go for something along the lines of 141 though. For the latter though I am by 2-4 lbs out of the suggested weight range. So would that make a significant difference?

Once more, thanks so much!
Sure!

The Ally is a rockered board (banana tech, BTX). That might feel too squirrelly at high speeds.

Sorry, I don't have much of an opinion or knowledge of Burton boards. The only Burtons I've been on have been the very first time out (borrowed from a guy friend) and random on-hill rentals I've gotten when between boards. I met a girl on the hill a couple weeks ago and she had a Burton that she loved...but it was the Feelgood and you already know about that one haha.

The weight charts seem subjective. I hear what you're saying about a shorter board..seems like it would be more manageable for your height. But weight matters over height with board length. Perhaps if it's a stiffer board, you might be able to size down while remaining in the suggested weight range? If you get a shorter board and are out of the weight range, it might feel too soft. I don't know if 2-4 lbs over the range would matter much, though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've ridden Burton V-Rocker boards before, similar to Feelgood. I can say that Burton's take on rocker was surprisingly nimble and stable, with GOOD snow conditions. I had to pick out runs that were nice. As soon as I went to the icier runs, there was NO edge hold. I don't know if Burton's Feelgood suffers from this.

I've ridden GNU's BTX (rocker) profile, and while it handled ice/hard pack very well, overall it was very squirrelly. It's fun and playful, but I was extremely scared to push it at high speed.

I haven't demoed GNU's C2BTX (hybrid camber), but the GNU reps told me that it's a lot more responsive and holds a line way better than BTX. So for an all mountain board for both park and for charging runs, I would take C2BTX, like the Roxy Ollie Pop, or GNU B-Pro.

My current snowboard is the Never Summer Infinity. I think what people say about NS is true, it's super damp, in that when your charging at high speed, it's super stable and there's very little vibration. I rode the Infinity and the Burton Lux down the same run, on the same day, and the Lux would chatter. However, one thing is that my Infinity felt significantly heavier.

All in all, just talking about those 3 brands, if I were focused on all-mountain charging, I would go for the NS Infinity. If I were doing park a lot, I would be very happy with Burton V-Rockers, but on icy days I'd stay on the easy runs. GNU I haven't ridden enough, but it felt like BTX is pretty much all play/park, no charging for me. I do want to try C2BTX some day however.

Others I would like to try are Smokin (who has magnetraction: better edge hold on ice/hardpack), Arbor (who has a lighter version of magnetraction called 'griptech'), and Signal. I'm just talking about me personally because I don't want to speak too far beyond what I've actually ridden.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been riding a NS Infinity with rocker camber for the last 3 years and this year I got a Roxy Envi with C2 BTX-- the same rocker camber as the NS but with magna traction. The Infinity is a good all around board for everything. The Roxy is a little damper and faster and stiffer. I used to ride a Feelgood and the biggest difference I noticed with these boards is there is more flex between the bindings on either of my boards. Also the rocker camber and traction control (vario sidecut on the NS and magna traction of the envy) make them easy to carve and hold an edge on steeps and icier conditions. I've demoed the feelgood with flying V a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed.

Both have been good on powder. I don't go in the park. I don't know if you ever read Shayboarder She has reviews for a lot of boards.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know exactly what you mean about the edge not holding at all.. and turn initiation is like pulling teeth -.- which are the main reasons I am looking for a new board. And as far as I can see from the reviews, Burton haven't fixed any of those annoyances on the boards for this season, so I think my next board will more than likely have to be something else. I'm a little gutted as I now feel a little out of my comfort zone with other brands.

And yes! Thank you, Shay has been a huge help, as well as Snowboard Gear Reviews By The Good Ride.
As previously suggested by EatRideSleep (and I thanks you for that idea!) I have been looking into the Eminence, which I think would suit my all-mountain-with-a-little-bit-of-jibbing-and-jumping needs. Though I am slightly hesitant when it comes to the magnetrac tech - hopefully it is not one of those crazes.. Also should I go 143 or 146? I don't know how much difference that would make in the overall feel.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean about the edge not holding at all.. and turn initiation is like pulling teeth -.- which are the main reasons I am looking for a new board. And as far as I can see from the reviews, Burton haven't fixed any of those annoyances on the boards for this season, so I think my next board will more than likely have to be something else. I'm a little gutted as I now feel a little out of my comfort zone with other brands.

And yes! Thank you, Shay has been a huge help, as well as Snowboard Gear Reviews By The Good Ride.
As previously suggested by EatRideSleep (and I thanks you for that idea!) I have been looking into the Eminence, which I think would suit my all-mountain-with-a-little-bit-of-jibbing-and-jumping needs. Though I am slightly hesitant when it comes to the magnetrac tech - hopefully it is not one of those crazes.. Also should I go 143 or 146? I don't know how much difference that would make in the overall feel.
You're welcome!

The Gnu B Pro is very similar to the Eminence (they're both made by Mervin, too). This is the first time I've been on any edge tech like magnetraction. What I can tell you of my experience with it, is that on runs packed to ice, I can feel it hold an edge. And it's not a bad thing. I haven't felt it be too grippy or a hinderance of any kind. Just last night I pushed it a bit on a glazed patch just for the hell of it, and it held well enough until it showed it's limit. And even then, I had enough time to dial it back and ride on.

IIRC, it's been around since '08 (?). I remember when it came out but not the exact year; a local shop guy was pretty stoked on it but I was a little leery of how exaggerated the edge "waves" looked. Apparently I wasn't the only one haha, because sometime later, Mervin toned it down. So, I don't know how much of a "craze" it is at this point. It's certainly not brand new.

I haven't had the pleasure of riding the Alps, but if you get any dicey hardpack or ice, it might come in handy.

As for size, if this helps, I'm around your weight (120lbs but 6" inches taller with a size 8 boot) and have the 146. The waist width on the B Pro runs a bit on the wide side (compared to other women's boards) but I don't know if that's true for the Eminence. With a 6.5 boot, check the waists on both the 146 and 143 to see what works best. You might be able to get away with the 143 for your weight if the waist is more suited to your boot size. If your boot fits the 146, you might get more stability with it than the 143.

PS - You might end up liking being out of your "brand comfort zone"
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, width wise the Eminence in both sizes is about the same as the B Pro - 1mm difference. Also for the weight (143 is for 90-135lbs and 146 for 105-150lbs), I could get away with both choices. I'm just worried that the 146 might prove to be harder to handle (allergic reaction from the 150 feelgood), though then again it will be better in powder and like you said, offer more stability. Plus! The 146 is on sale and the 143 is not, so 146?

PS Yes, I think it's a definite possibility that I might love it.. Partly the reason why I'm scared I guess - how will I justify years and years of Burton addiction in that case
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, width wise the Eminence in both sizes is about the same as the B Pro - 1mm difference. Also for the weight (143 is for 90-135lbs and 146 for 105-150lbs), I could get away with both choices. I'm just worried that the 146 might prove to be harder to handle (allergic reaction from the 150 feelgood), though then again it will be better in powder and like you said, offer more stability. Plus! The 146 is on sale and the 143 is not, so 146?

PS Yes, I think it's a definite possibility that I might love it.. Partly the reason why I'm scared I guess - how will I justify years and years of Burton addiction in that case
I'd say go 146. It's a different board, but I'm 110 lbs, and I ride a 145.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote