2010-11 TurboDream minor stance adjustment major change?!?!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default 2010-11 TurboDream minor stance adjustment major change?!?!?

What a difference a minor stance adjustment makes

I haven’t been super happy with my 10-11 TurboDream since I got to Utah, it feels like I've been fighting my board and having to muscle and skid it through turns and I haven’t been able to lay down the type of long "on rails" euro carves that are a huge part of my "style" and how I enjoy riding. Now I think figured out why , I've been dicking around with my stance since the beginning of the season and even though I've only moved my bindings one set of holes forward or back it's obviously had a huge impact on how my board handled and felt.

For those of you not familiar with the K2 TurboDream it's a directional shape\flex and setback stance board, I don't do park anymore or spend much time riding switch. I do trees, pow, terrain jumps, drops. groomers and love railing big leaned over turns\carves so I'm all about the directional board and stance, I rode Burton T6's from 2006-2010 which shaped my riding style pretty heavily.

Well thursday night I moved my bindings back to what I"M calling the "default" K2 stance\mounting holes, I call it the default stance since while K2 of course has multiple set of mounting holes drilled they have one set(as in 4 holes per foot) of holes for that has metal inlaid rings on the surface of the board.

I moved my bindings back to default set of mounting holes and everything just clicked with my bindings and board starting working like I felt they should, no longer was I fighting my board to lay down nice carves now all I need to do to lay day perfect turns is lean forward or backwards and I can feel the sidecut\edge digging in and taking me exactly where I want to go and it feels amazing.

So is this common where making such a slight adjustment in stance makes such a huge difference in board feel\performance?

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 01-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

From my experience, a traditional cambered board is less affected by smaller adjustments in stance width / stance position than a flat/rocker deck.

Since that TurboDream deck is flat with rocker on the tip/tail, I'm not at all surprised that a small adjustment completely changes the board performance / your confidence.

That smaller adjustment back to the default might have helped give you an inch or so more of edge hold that really makes the difference in aggressive situations.

That's my guess.
yojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojik View Post
From my experience, a traditional cambered board is less affected by smaller adjustments in stance width / stance position than a flat/rocker deck.

Since that TurboDream deck is flat with rocker on the tip/tail, I'm not at all surprised that a small adjustment completely changes the board performance / your confidence.

That smaller adjustment back to the default might have helped give you an inch or so more of edge hold that really makes the difference in aggressive situations.

That's my guess.
Thanks for the reply, the major difference to me was how the sidecut performance\behavior I mean the board just rails now all I have to do is lean and when the board flexes it immediately starts to turn like I'm riding on a rail, it rocks.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojik View Post

That's my guess.
Is the turbo dream flat? I thought it was full rocker?

Most of the reviews on the turbo dream state that you should ride the board centered or else it doesn't perform as well. I don't think that minor adjustment would have mattered much on most boards, but it does seem like you need to be centered on the turbo dream to get its full effect.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yes, if you have the bindings moved forward on a directional board, it makes a difference. The best way I can describe the performance after doing that is it feels like you're riding switch when you are normal, but it still doesn't feel normal when you do switch. Many people make the mistake of moving their bindings forward on directional boards in attempt to center their stance.

Directional boards are centered around the setback stance. That means the middle of the sidecut starts between the two reference stance points. So if you move both bindings forward even one set of holes, you are pushing that sidecut behind you. Directional boards also have a directional flex pattern. You are pushing that behind you as well.

Moving your bindings back matter less than moving them forward. Moving them back actually gives you more float and easier turn initiation.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Yes, if you have the bindings moved forward on a directional board, it makes a difference. The best way I can describe the performance after doing that is it feels like you're riding switch when you are normal, but it still doesn't feel normal when you do switch. Many people make the mistake of moving their bindings forward on directional boards in attempt to center their stance.

Directional boards are centered around the setback stance. That means the middle of the sidecut starts between the two reference stance points. So if you move both bindings forward even one set of holes, you are pushing that sidecut behind you. Directional boards also have a directional flex pattern. You are pushing that behind you as well.

Moving your bindings back matter less than moving them forward. Moving them back actually gives you more float and easier turn initiation.
Yea Leo thanks that sounds about right, what I was trying to do in the beginning of this season(without any fresh snow) was try to make the board more "twinlike" by moving either my front or front and rear binding forward just ONE set of holes but it completely changed the way the board performed. Now that I have it set back to what I can only assume is the "K2 suggested" binding placement(I'm pretty average size 5'10 170-190lbs) I'm back to being totally and completely in love with the board.

Just thought it was crazy that such a small change in binding placement made such a huge difference in handling(and wanted to share that info), never again will I assume I'm smarter than K2 engineers that designed the board in the first place.

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 01-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote