Proto CT issues - what am I doing wrong? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Proto CT issues - what am I doing wrong?

I recently purchased a Proto CT 154 and am having a hell of a time riding the thing without catching an edge. I consider myself an intermediate-advanced rider and have been riding for years here in Michigan without this sort of issue. I’m 5’7” 175 lbs., wear 32 Lashed boots, size 8, and use Rome 390 bindings with a +14 / -14 stance 21 inches apart. My other boards are a 2009 Lib Tech TRS, 2010 Burton Joystick, and 2010 K2 WWW. I was excited to get out on a Proto CT after seeing all of the great reviews and ordered it back in August. Unfortunately, on only my second run of this season, while transitioning form a toe-side to a heel-side turn on an open groomer, the board got loose I caught my back edge (I think), was whipped backward down the hill, and suffered a severe concussion. I was actually knocked out cold for a few seconds and only know what happen from some friends who were with me.

After taking a month off (doctor’s orders), I took the Proto out again for only the second time this year and can’t believe how catchy and “squirrely” the thing is when transitioning turns. It actually feels like the board wants to pivot between my feet at the worst possible moment (i.e. mid turn transition)causing the tail to swing around, which, again, caused me to catch an edge and wipe out a couple of times. My TRS is a banana board and is very playful and squirrely, but it never felt like it was going to pivot under me while leaning into a turn at speed. I’m completely mystified by my experience with the Proto CT. I have never had any problems of this sort on any of my other boards and it doesn’t jive with all of the positive reviews I have read on the Proto. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hravenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I feel the same way on my Evo, it's very spinny in the middle but only on flat ground...it's probably the reverse camber along that zone. Never really had the middle washing out mid-turn, unless it's really icy or my fault.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

It wants to spin just as I'm about to make the final transition from heel to toe or toe to heel. Once the turn is done it is locked in, but making the turn happen wierd and tricky. Anything I should be doing differently to help with the turn transition?
Hravenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I agree with Ryan as far as my Evo goes.

As an intermediate rider, you may have thought of this already.
The only thing I can think to recommend is transitioning faster. Too much time flat based in between edges could be the problem?

Try and consciously think about the edge to edge and it might work out the kinks.

Best of luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

i have the squirrely issue on long flats as well but i think i have it figured out. idk what my edges were before.. but i tuned them to 88 degrees and detuned the contact points quite a bit and now im not catching at all. i never really had problems catching edges and getting slammed but i felt like messing with the edges to help prevent that when buttering at higher speeds. i threw on a graphite additive one ball jay all temp wax and now i think the board is perfect. maybe try to change your edges? or just transition faster between edges.. i dont ride completely flat very often though this might be why i dont have the same problem. i always ride on edge
ArmyOfSkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I know the edges on that board are extremely sharp when you first get it... I like the feeling (coming from a freeride background), but as for the tendency for rotation, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I'm the same weight, but ride the 158 wide, and I've never experienced this feeling you speak of. I know shorter boards naturally want to spin more... but I can't imagine that board is way too short for you (seems good for a freestyle size).

Likely it's something you are doing, but might want to check the base/edges of the board for defects just to make sure.

I will admit that I found that the Proto doesn't like to make turns ACROSS the hill, it just wants to go straight down. When you tilt it to carve, it just kinda keeps going down hill and you have to really pressure/tilt it to a weird excess level to get it to carve across the hill...

I think a video of you riding some varied terrain on the board would make a diagnosis come much easier.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravenkel View Post
I recently purchased a Proto CT 154 and am having a hell of a time riding the thing without catching an edge. I consider myself an intermediate-advanced rider and have been riding for years here in Michigan without this sort of issue. I’m 5’7” 175 lbs., wear 32 Lashed boots, size 8, and use Rome 390 bindings with a +14 / -14 stance 21 inches apart.
I just got back from riding my Proto CT 154 this weekend with a similar setup 5'9" 155lbs, Rome 390 BOSS set at 15,-15 22" (I assume you meant 15/-15, not 14/-14). Compared to my older 2009 SL 155 (with rocker), K2 Jibpan, K2 Parkstar, K2 Fastplant the board does seem to have a bit more "roll" in the middle of the board, especially because it is so torsionally soft. That only time I've catch my edge on it so far was when I landed super short on a cab-3.

Normally I would say that is because of the reverse camber between/under the bindings (which is true of most rockered boards), but you've ridden a banana board before - so I'm not sure what is giving you so much trouble without seeing video.

I agree with the other posters that you need to be confidant and decisive on your edge transitions (a lot of people man-handle the tail around and get "stuck" mid-turn without properly shifting their weight and preparing to link into another turn). I personally like to always carving on an edge and rarely ride "flat"

Another thing is that Never Summer board does come with 0/0 base/side bevel... which means that the edge is very quick to engage (or catch if you are out of control). Advanced riders tend to prefer minimal bevel to keep the boards very responsive as possible since for them edge catches are rare. Most other brand come with 1/1 or more bevel to protect from edge catches (some jib boards have 2.5/3 degree base bevel).

Last edited by lonerider; 01-30-2012 at 04:49 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Had a funny edge catch experience the other day on my evo. Realized after about an hour of riding that my front foot strap was really loose. I ride contrabands so the one and only buckle was loose. Good times with operator error as co-pilot

Seriously though, I rode a mid-stiff camber deck before the Evo and after that find it really hard to catch edges... haven't changed bevels or detuned or anything. It's just super forgiving with the raised contact points
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thinking about it I do transition quite quickly edge to edge. And have found that the RC tech works well using fore-aft movements through turns. If you ride it lazily it can seem a bit weird to carve a non-skidded turn on it
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just got a Proto as well. It felt a little catchy the first time out but the conditions weren't great -- ice covered by wind blown fake snow. I warmed up to it by the second day out.

I did a pretty significant detune before hitting the mountain... still need to do a little more and maybe take it down a degree on the sides.
smboarder is offline   Reply With Quote