Starting research on splitboards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Starting research on splitboards

hey just some questions as i start looking for my first split.

im not seeing to many wide splits, pretty much just the t.rice. any others?

i wear a size 12.5 when im resort riding i think i might need a bit bigger for BC cause my toes go numb if im not in a riding position. I would appreciate some advice on that as well. When spliting do you need a boot that is closer to actually real size?(size 14 street wear)

also im pretty much a noob so any advice is welcome. I don't know the difference between spark and volie and all that kind of stuff. thanks in advance.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll get a lot more response here:

Splitboard.com Forums • Index page

Great forum, TONS of splitboard info there. I spent a few months searching and reading on there when I started researching splits.

As for wides, there are a few brands that do actual "wide" splits, Jones being one of them. Check the tech specs though, some longer boards probably have a pretty wide waist that'll work with your bigger feet.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

awesome thx
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

venture makes wide split boards too. Or you can find an old board for cheap and split it yourself to save a little money. I've got two seasons on the board i split and its holding up great.

i find that my feet stay warmer when im hiking or splitting then riding chairs, but comfort is more important when you spend long days in the backcountry. Most people prefer a stiffer boot for splitting especially laterally which helps when sidehilling. The Spark from deluxe is the only boot marketed as a split boot, salomon dialogue, k2 t1, burton driverX, 32 prime all have a good reputation.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thx for the info. i appreciate it. i guess i will probably have to buy some new boots... this could get pricy. does much go on sale at the end of the year or is split boarding kinda the same price all the time?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You definitely want a boot you can hang out in all day. I'd say plan for eight hours minimum, even though most of the time it will be less than that. Then there are those days where you'll be lucky to get out of them after 12 hours. Ride Insano's are about as stiff of a boot you can get. The Spark boot is not quite as stiff, but has other features that are very handy for splitboarding. Namely the vibram soles and reinforced toe for kicking steps. If you really get into splitting, you'll be glad to have that.

Venture and Neversummer both have wide models in their splits. I believe that Prior also has wides.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm in the same boat, gonna be buying this upcoming summer, right now the K2 panaramic is my #1 choice due to familiarity and price but I'm also looking at Jones and GNU.

Going with Spark or Karokam bindings for sure
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd go with Spark. Spark actually unveiled a new interface coming out on a limited basis next fall. I got to play with it first hand. The set up was what Will cranked out last week and it looked very polished. My understanding is that they have been beating on the Edison interface for over a year now and it's been holding up great. It looks solid and it's light.

The nice thing about the interface is that it works with you regular solid decks and your splits. Pretty easy to change out as you set your stance on the binding. If you have a DIY split, you don't have to t nut the pucks on either. Just use the 4 hole pattern with the new interface. Very slick.

bcrider put up a video of it.

The new bindings for next year are super nice too.

Video of their other offerings.

Last edited by killclimbz; 01-30-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thanks for all the info. would it would save a lot of money to just keep using my targas or do you need to go with a split binding?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get away with using your bindings on the Voile adapter plates. The split bindings make a huge difference in performance though. I don't know anyone who has gone to a Spark or Karakorum set up and has decided to go back to the Voile slider plate adapters.