Board sizing for a tween (10 going on 11) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board sizing for a tween (10 going on 11)

Ok so my son has been riding for 3 seasons now and currently rides a 10/11 Capita Stairmaster 144. He hates the graphics on the board...I shouldn't have bought it for him without asking him if he liked it but I got a smoking deal and pulled the trigger as a surprise last year. He rode it last season (a bit too big for him then) and this season and last night I was thinking he could probably ride it another year as it is right around his eyes in length (he is 5'1" tall and 112 lbs) but when I mentioned it to my wife she snapped. We tend to buy the things we want even when we don't need them and the fact that I was talking about making our son ride this board he doesn't like for another year didn't jive for her. She's right...the kid can have a new board (sure he's spoiled...I'm doing my part to support the economy...deal with it ), but I don't want to buy him something he will be out of quickly either. Long story medium (at this point we aren't too short) we stopped by the local board shop and picked up a Ride DHK 148w for him this evening and then headed out to the mountain to pick him up (intramural snowboarding). While I was waiting for him to finish his last run I noticed that all the kids were on what I would have thought was pretty short boards...but maybe I'm rushing him up in size too fast. They had a 145W (he currently wears a men's sz 8 boot so if this is going to last more than a year he needs the wide) too and I'm now wondering if I should just return the 148 and get him the 145.

I would say he is some place between beginner and intermediate in skill (probably closer to beginner)...he is just learning tricks, a little park, and will do black diamond runs. Here is a video of him riding this past weekend the conditions SUCKED (super icy)...last season when we went to Holiday Valley he looked like he knew what he was doing...looks a little sketchy as I watch this.

Thoughts?

Edit: thanks for the fix

Last edited by Grasschopper; 01-31-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Fixed it for ya
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

He's a pretty big kid for 10, if he's growing fast I wouldn't worry about it. A longer board will be a little slower to turn but a bit more stable, and you'll get an extra year out of it.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
He's a pretty big kid for 10, if he's growing fast I wouldn't worry about it. A longer board will be a little slower to turn but a bit more stable, and you'll get an extra year out of it.
Right...big kid. I just want to make sure I'm not holding him back by putting him on a board that is too long for him. The board is only $206 new (entire stock is 20% off) so honestly if I go with the 145w and he only uses it for a year that isn't so bad. He doesn't do a whole lot of fall line riding unless the slope is pretty flat...I'm wondering if that would get better with the shorter board (next year).
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i think the only think holding him back is living where it doesn't snow. 3 cm isn't gonna hold him up that much, and he will grow into it.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

just paint it black.
It would be a total waste of money.
Size was it's fine he will grow into it and make him better rider in long run.
And he is not at a level where he know what kind of board he wants.
He prob doesnt even know what kind of riding he like. freeride freestyle rails jumps or just going fast etc.
wait till he figures it out little more and buy him what he wants not what you think is right for him.
If you are really worried about size of the board do a seasonal rental.
It sounds like he is big so he is probably growing pretty fast so seasonal rental is not a bad idea.
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Buckmans, wicks and loweriders do seasonal rentals
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think if anything him having the same equipment for an extra year would be a plus.

He looks like he's doing fine in the video, except the lack of snow, definitely stay out of the trees
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdeo View Post
Buckmans, wicks and loweriders do seasonal rentals
I'm going to spend more than $200 for a seasonal rental though aren't I? Call me an elitest or snob or whatever but my boy isn't riding a rental now...he has had his own gear for three years, why the hell would I go back to rentals?

Anyway the money isn't the issue...I have no issue spending a couple hundred bucks on my boy to get him away from the XBox, outside and getting a little exercise.

I totally agree on moving to some place that gets some snow...this winter has totally sucked and it's supposed to be nearly 60* today.

Anyway I see other kids on the mountain his age and they are riding better than he is so it got me to thinking that putting him on boards he can grow into may be hindering his learning. Another season on a board the same size (well 1cm longer) may do him some good. I can always get him a new board toward the end of next season if he needs one.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'd say if ur going to spring for a board just give him the cash or take him to the store or sit down and order it. He is certianly not even close to maxing out the potential of the board he is on, maxing out would be straight line bombing, presses, nollies/ollies, getting some 1 and maybe 3's off the small park humps in the vid and cruising switch...he looks to be at a solid beginner green and blue run level. And with that amount of snow....or lack thereof...he could be riding a 140...there's no reason for a bigger board. My daughter is slightly bigger 5'3" and 120, advanced/expert, riding 7 years at baker and can handle double blacks, duck line and bc. She rides a 144 is her park groomer board and she has a 148 she throws around and rides a 155 for deep pow. Your money would be better invested in more time on a real hill, getting SA vids or lessons.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
I'd say if ur going to spring for a board just give him the cash or take him to the store or sit down and order it. He is certianly not even close to maxing out the potential of the board he is on, maxing out would be straight line bombing, presses, nollies/ollies, getting some 1 and maybe 3's off the small park humps in the vid and cruising switch...he looks to be at a solid beginner green and blue run level. And with that amount of snow....or lack thereof...he could be riding a 140...there's no reason for a bigger board. My daughter is slightly bigger 5'3" and 120, advanced/expert, riding 7 years at baker and can handle double blacks, duck line and bc. She rides a 144 is her park groomer board and she has a 148 she throws around and rides a 155 for deep pow. Your money would be better invested in more time on a real hill, getting SA vids or lessons.
Thanks...yea I think I will go for the 145 rather than the 148. Again this is about those two boards not about the Capita...I don't mind replacing that board. We have shown him the Ride DHK and he likes the graphics so it should be good for the next year anyway.

He has a season pass and rides 2-4 times a week albiet at Tussey Mountain in the video. Last season we went to Holiday Valley a couple of times and we are talking about a trip next season to Colorado to ride some real mountains. Trips to other mountains are all about time and money. We are a family of 4 one of whom is only 2.5 so trips are tough...plus there is the school schedule to work around.

As far as lessons, for the last two seasons he has been in Tussey's kids clinic which runs for 6 Saturdays from 9:30a-2:00p. He is the only snowboarder so in essence he gets a 4 hour private lesson each week. I do wonder if it is too long though this year he has two different instructors, a technical guy in the morning and then a park certified guy in the afternoon who mainly rides with him for 2 hours and if my son wants to try something they work on it. They did a bit of park but my son went off the side and whacked his shin on a rail pretty good so he has avoided it since. He really advanced quickly last year but has reached a plateau. They now are working on switch riding. There are two weeks left in the clinic this season...I hope there is snow left this weekend as it is supposed to be nearly 60* today and around 50* tomorrow.