Need help with first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with first board

First off, AWESOME site! So much information that it will make your head spin, and everyone seems really helpful. So I figured I would throw my hat into the ring. I just started boarding here on the east coast (Maryland), and even though I picked a crappy winter to start I am addicted. I have been renting a board from the local shop (Rossignol Imperial), and its time to get my own gear since I know I am sticking with it. There are so many choices, but I have tried to narrow it down. However, any other suggestions are welcome. I have been on the mountain 2 times now and I am able to link turns down greens. My riding style will be all-mountain, and mostly on groomers. Maybe park in a year or so, but its not a focus now and I am not sure if it ever will be. If I do hit the park, it will mainly be jumps. No rails.

Height: 6ft
Weight: 180lbs
Boot Size: 10

I have rented a 156 and 160 from the shop. The 156 was ok, and I liked the 160. I was thinking to compromise and go with something in 158. I think I want to go with a hyrbid rocker/camber, but not 100% definite so opinions would be greatly appreciated. Which leads to me to the top contenders.

Rossignol One Magtek (has everything I want, mild-magnetraction (ice coast), hybrid, and great reviews. Just concerned it might be too advanced
Rossignol Taipan (great reviews, hybrid rocker/camber, and sintered base, but no MTX)
GNU Carbon Credit (like the MTX, although the full rocker has me worried about longevity due to instability going fast)
K2 Raygun
Never Summer SL (only if I can get it on sale)

Let me know what you think of the above choices, and which would be best for mainly hitting groomers with friends on the east coast. I would like to get a board that will allow me to learn more but progress for a long time. My wife is kind of cheap, and won't be keen on the idea of getting a new board in 2 seasons. My friends (I'm 25 and married btw) are a mix of skiers and snowboarders if that makes any difference. For bindings I really like the ease of Flow's, and definitely like the new 2013 Flow's. However, I am open to different options here as well. I am going to hit the local shop and try on as many boots as possible to see what fits best (speed lacing/BOA will be a must). Thanks in advance for your help! (PS, I will be back with questions for my wife's board too).
Flaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Save a life, help a newb. lol
Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would go with the One magtek, its not to advanced for you. and will last you till it wears out, you wont out skill this board any time soon. i just cant get past the graphics though because it looks like they took this hairdoo and put it on a board.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lol. Thats awesome. I'm not so concerned with the graphic as it will be covered in snow most of the time. I just want to make sure I invest in a board that will be appropriate for me to increase my skills while not being the limiting factor for my growth.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm still waffling between the Taipan and the One Magtek. Any other opinions?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaus View Post
GNU Carbon Credit (like the MTX, although the full rocker has me worried about longevity due to instability going fast)
It's a great board. You have to go pretty fast to start getting chatter. If you just started I can't imagine that will be a problem.

Quote:
Never Summer SL (only if I can get it on sale)
Great board but good luck getting one on sale.

Quote:
My wife is kind of cheap
I hope for you she doesn't read those forums
And unlike your wife, Flows aren't cheap.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Holy shit, my eyes are bleeding.
I wish I could unsee this.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

If the majority of your riding will be on icy hardpack then go with the Magtek since it has magnetraction and chances are high you can find one on sale. It makes a very noticeable difference in icy conditions(once you're more experienced at least), allowing you to keep edgehold where boards with a traditional sidecut would tend to slide out from under you.

And I think it's misleading when they label boards "advanced". It's true if you're starting out that you won't fully appreciate the tech an "advanced" board has, but for the most part it'll help you more than hinder you.

Only time I would say a board would hinder a new rider was if they picked up a stiff, traditional camber board that's too long for them.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0p View Post
Holy shit, my eyes are bleeding.
I wish I could unsee this.
Yeah, the graphic leaves something to be desired but all the reviews are extremely positive with this one. Hopefully the off season sales start soon so I can pick this board up. So I guess my mind is made up, Rossi One Magtek unless I find a NS SL super cheap or the Taipan is too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks guys! I will be back with questions for my wifes board.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
And I think it's misleading when they label boards "advanced". It's true if you're starting out that you won't fully appreciate the tech an "advanced" board has, but for the most part it'll help you more than hinder you.

Only time I would say a board would hinder a new rider was if they picked up a stiff, traditional camber board that's too long for them.
Thanks. I got started this year and have been looking to get a new board like the OP. The guys in Ski Barn pointed me to the more premium boards that border the $500 price tag since I told them price wouldn't be an issue and I've already spent some time in the slopes this year.

I've been struggling to understand what "advanced" means and I wasn't sure if the guys just wanted to sell me something expensive, but hearing it from here makes me feel a little better about getting a pricier board.

I'm pretty sure I won't do the board justice, but I really don't like buying cheap which often leads to buying twice. I wanted to get a board that will last and progress with me for several years.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote