Does anyone still PREFER camber? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm an experienced rider who prefers camber. It feels like a true snowboard to me. More difficult in powder? You betcha...It will only make you a better rider.
yojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I went from a traditional cambered board to a hybrid (positive camber - rocker - positive camber) board and it's was an awesome change. I absolutely love the hybrid board - but with that said, I did buy another tradition cambered board a few weeks ago (ride dh), it was mostly an impulse buy but I can't wait to ride a traditional cambered board again. I'm glad I learned on a traditional cambered board and I suggest all beginners learn on them to be better riders overall. I do intent on picking a third board soon, a soft rockered board that's mostly for park/street.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

If buying blindly I'd suggest going for a hybrid if you're only going to stick with one board, otherwise, go for what feels best after demoing that isn't a board you already have and plan on riding in the future.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

For most riding, I prefer traditional camber. I like the precision, edge control, and snap. Every year, when possible, I demo boards thinking I'll find a hybrid that I like... and every year I feel like I'm careening down the mountain on a spoon. I'm learning that if someone describes a board as "playful", I'll absolutely hate it.
qwezxc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I like flat, it's a good compromise, though it is much more toward the camber side of the spectrum. A lazy man's camber, so to speak, or "dead" camber. You get the same edge hold and railability for carving as well as no rebound but it also doesn't require energy to decamber the board to get it to turn. Snap is almost the same as camber. Camber still is definitely useful.

After riding The System, I don't think I'll be on hybrid again, although hybrids do offer an awesome compromise of camber and reverse camber with few of the drawbacks. Just has a mild learning curve. However, I've found that The System gives you full rocker (awesome playfulness) and addresses many of the drawbacks that hybrids try to without losing the benefits of continuous rocker.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I still use my camber board regularly. I'd say about 50/50 with my hybrid camber. There's a bite/grip to it on hard icy conditions around here that I can't let go yet.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I was someone who upgraded equipment this year (after getting back into the game last year) but without having a chance to demo. This message board helped me understand a lot of the new jargon, but at the end of the day I stuck with what I knew and purchased the Mans Board from Salomon. It has some rocker in the tail/tip but not very noticeable to me yet (especially given the conditions I have ridden). I do find it "slightly" more forgiving versus my older stick which was a Definition.

Now that I am back to riding more I would like to try something a bit more playful. Hoping to have the chance to demo which is never easy being based on the EC. Interested in some of the Libs/NS and Bataleons.. would like to add something to my "quiver" at the end of the season on the cheap.

Last edited by SnowRock; 01-31-2012 at 09:58 AM.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I came from riding Burton T6's which could be argued as being the near pinnacal of cambered boards, my TurboDream doesn't quite "rail" like they used to but it's good enough and the other advantages it has like powder riding and easier spins more forgiving landings ect just makes it more fun to ride. I mean I guess I could still take one out if I was doing border cross or something but that would be about it.

I would try demo's one of K2's flatline tech boards and see how it feels , from what I understand it's a great compromise but I don't just fine laying down giant rail carves with my traditional rocket TD and there's no way I'd give up it's powder performance. Took me probably 4-5 days of riding it(and making stance adjustments) thought to really get used to it though.

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 01-31-2012 at 10:28 AM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think it really depends on how and where you ride.

I'm constantly blown away by the versatility of my RC deck.

I'm a one board guy and can ride it happily around Seymour in fairly hard pack (mildly icy) night conditions or blast pow up at Whistler on it.

I struggled to cover that much territory on my camber deck
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

As someone who avoids groomers if possible, the only allure camber holds to me is for mach-speed bombing. Grant you I can still do that on a hybrid park board...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

I learned on camber, and like most of us rode them for lotsa years. Now I ride 2 RC's and a C2. I think I would ride someone else's traditional camber board, but I do not believe I would ever buy one again.