Does anyone still PREFER camber? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I learned on camber and still ride my cambered decks now and then. I switched to the C2 profile ( camber rocker camber) and honestly am not looking back. I honestly don't understand this feeling of washing out or being out if control some people complain about. Whether it is my NS Heritage and now Cobra or my Gnu Billy Goat, when you get them on edge, the camber kicks in and they rail just as hard as any camber deck I have ridden. I am no slouch either; I am in the top 5% of fastest riders and frequently pass most riders. I clocked 57 MPH on my Heritage last year which is as fast as I would ever really go on camber.

It sounds like people just are not adapting to the subtle nuances of learning to ride hybrids effectively. Now when it comes to rebound in carving then yeah, the camber is where it is at. I do love that rebound and keep a cambered deck around for that. For everything else, I find the hybrid does it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
I came from riding Burton T6's which could be argued as being the near pinnacal of cambered boards, my TurboDream doesn't quite "rail" like they used to but it's good enough and the other advantages it has like powder riding and easier spins more forgiving landings ect just makes it more fun to ride. I mean I guess I could still take one out if I was doing border cross or something but that would be about it.

I would try demo's one of K2's flatline tech boards and see how it feels , from what I understand it's a great compromise but I don't just fine laying down giant rail carves with my traditional rocket TD and there's no way I'd give up it's powder performance. Took me probably 4-5 days of riding it(and making stance adjustments) thought to really get used to it though.
Flatline is awesome. I have a K2 slayblade and I would put it close to my atomic alibi that was cambered as my fastest boards that I feel safe on. Hit around 55mph on both. I do not feel safe riding at speed on my ride highlife though, may have more to do with length than anything, since its flat in the middle as well.
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

I still ride camber as well. I am not much for park or tricks. I just like to ride down the slopes as fast as I can. And seeing as I am on the east coast and have to deal with icy slopes often (especially this suck ass winter ) my camber board (Custom X) has served me better than my Hybrid (2010 Flying V).
When and if I ever get to experience some true deep powder then my Flying V might be the board of choice as its still a very nice ride. But for now its camber for me
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

I made the swith this year, and will never consider a camber board again (excluding TBT). My Yes has camber between the feet, and rocker outside, so it feels and handles like a cambered deck for the most part, just turns quicker and floats better, just all around more fun than camber. My Salomon is flat rocker, and def a ton more fun in the park than any camber decks I've ridden. Camber is definitely dead to me.
bebop_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

I've been riding cambered boards for 9 years up until this season. I've only tried the v-rocker as far as the new profiles go which is on my Burton Hero. At this point I don't think I can do without either of them. I love them both however, I am still leaning toward traditional camber as being my personal choice. The rocker profile just doesn't carve very well and it has ZERO grip on steep icy slopes that my cambered board slices right through without much trouble. Its a huge night and day difference.

This is my comparison. Both setups are using the same bindings (older missons on the 7, newer missions on the Hero) and exact same boots.
My old cambered Burton Se7en (first one Burton made) Its a very stiff park board with lots of camber for popping off jumps.
Pros:
-LOADS of edge grip and control up to the highest speeds I've been able to reach on it (terminal velocity down our diamond slopes)
-Very responsive and positive feel while transition from edge to edge.
-More pop than you could ever possibly need for large park jumps and some pipe riding.
Cons:
-Catching edges is pretty easy and unforgiving. Can make landing from a big jump slightly off square very painful.
-Low speed maneuverability isn't all that agile.

2011 Burton Hero with V-Rocker and pretty soft flex.
Pros:
-Difficult to catch an edge.
-Very playful at low speeds for buttery ground tricks.
-The soft flex gives me a better feel on rails.
-Easy to recover from landing off-center.
Cons:
-Does not grip ice at all
-Doesn't carve well at all unless its slushy or powder.
-Doesn't have that nice responsive feel while transitioning from edge to edge at higher speeds.
-The pop is ok but I could definitely use more in the park.

I've been bringing both with me and just use whatever stick I want at the time. If I want to carve through the diamond slopes than I bring the 7, if I want to play around in the park or on shallow slopes than I use the Hero. The resorts I normally go to make it pretty easy to access the parking lot from the slope so its not that big of a deal. I know at some resorts it can be a long walk back to the car. In the end my Burton Se7en can do it all very well but the Hero is limited to lower speeds and good snow conditions. For the record I can't fucking stand the Hero on icy conditions!!!!!

I haven't tried a hybrid profile yet but I'd like to pretty soon. I might wait till next year though.

P.S. My fiancee is new to snowboarding this year and is progressing very quickly. She has a Ride Solace, Rome Lo-Fi cambered (bought and rode yesterday), and shes tried my two current boards. She likes cambered the most. She loves the Se7en for its edge hold and her new Lo-Fi because of its edge hold but has a more responsive feel and fairly forgiving edges. So shes for cambered boards over anything else.

Last edited by Butterscotch; 01-31-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added information.
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
I've been riding cambered boards for 9 years up until this season. I've only tried the v-rocker as far as the new profiles go which is on my Burton Hero. At this point I don't think I can do without either of them. I love them both however, I am still leaning toward traditional camber as being my personal choice. The rocker profile just doesn't carve very well and it has ZERO grip on steep icy slopes that my cambered board slices right through without much trouble. Its a huge night and day difference.

This is my comparison. Both setups are using the same bindings (older missons on the 7, newer missions on the Hero) and exact same boots.
My old cambered Burton Se7en (first one Burton made) Its a very stiff park board with lots of camber for popping off jumps.
Pros:
-LOADS of edge grip and control up to the highest speeds I've been able to reach on it (terminal velocity down our diamond slopes)
-Very responsive and positive feel while transition from edge to edge.
-More pop than you could ever possibly need for large park jumps and some pipe riding.
Cons:
-Catching edges is pretty easy and unforgiving. Can make landing from a big jump slightly off square very painful.
-Low speed maneuverability isn't all that agile.

2011 Burton Hero with V-Rocker and pretty soft flex.
Pros:
-Difficult to catch an edge.
-Very playful at low speeds for buttery ground tricks.
-The soft flex gives me a better feel on rails.
-Easy to recover from landing off-center.
Cons:
-Does not grip ice at all
-Doesn't carve well at all unless its slushy or powder.
-Doesn't have that nice responsive feel while transitioning from edge to edge at higher speeds.
-The pop is ok but I could definitely use more in the park.

I've been bringing both with me and just use whatever stick I want at the time. If I want to carve through the diamond slopes than I bring the 7, if I want to play around in the park or on shallow slopes than I use the Hero. The resorts I normally go to make it pretty easy to access the parking lot from the slope so its not that big of a deal. I know at some resorts it can be a long walk back to the car. In the end my Burton Se7en can do it all very well but the Hero is limited to lower speeds and good snow conditions. For the record I can't fucking stand the Hero on icy conditions!!!!!

I haven't tried a hybrid profile yet but I'd like to pretty soon. I might wait till next year though.
Yeah, I don't ever see anyone raving about how good burtons alt camber decks are
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sorry, V-rocker is straight rocker not hybrid?
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthegood View Post
I learned on camber, and like most of us rode them for lotsa years. Now I ride 2 RC's and a C2. I think I would ride someone else's traditional camber board, but I do not believe I would ever buy one again.

Camber. I still have to try a different profile. I should get a Bataleon to test soon.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

camber will always be around

pretty sure all, if not most (serious) boarderx and slalom guys run camber...

but general direction industry and enthusiasts are headed is towards versatility and freestyle
Unowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

After having ridden both full rocker and Camber I say that when I started I was on a cambered deck. Then I want to rocker for the park but came crawling back to camber for my park board and want to keep it that way.

CheoSamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

I learned on camber and rode it for years with no trouble, but after being away from the sport for a few years I decided to check out this new tech and bought a new2 TRice Pro with the C2BTX. It took me a good 4 or 5 days to really feel 100% comfortable on it, but now I don't think I would go back to regular camber. The float in powder is great and I find the edge hold fantastic on hard pack and ice due to the magnetraction....big time sold on that. One of the reasons I wanted to try the hybrid rocker tech was because I had read that it didn't catch edges like regular camber. After putting in a good 8 days on the C2BTX I have to say that you can still catch an edge, but it doesn't throw you around as bad when it happens. If I got sloppy and caught my edge, I was easily able to recover from it and it saved me from a few bad crashes I may have had on a regular camber deck.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote