Does anyone still PREFER camber? - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #51 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Sounds like you might not like fully rockered boards. I don`t either. I am on a hybrid profile now with Neversummer and Gnu. I am finding that I really dig the camber-rocker-camber profile. They are fun a playful when flat based and have the edge hold and stability at speed once up on edge. I find this profile is the best of both worlds.
I have yet to try a hybrid camber board. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Capita BSOD, but was afraid I wouldn't like it. I just like going fast and would hate to compromise response and stabilty without gaining something incredible in return. If I can find one cheap I'll probably check it out this season.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

That unity is a smart choice. Rad company.

The venture you tried are mainly for pow. And that type of rocker has drawbacks. Hybrid gives nothing up that a Camber deck has, just different.

Coming from skateboarding, I like the hybrid cambers FLying V, C2, Never SUmmer versions with the saucer in the middle and also weighting the contact points for camber.

The hybrid cambers that are straight camber with rocker in the tip and/or tail are, directional versions Jones, S-rocker, Unity and more

twinsh (but the camber/rocker profile is twin) Capita BDOD, Rome anthem ss, .more too I imagine.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #53 (permalink)

Camber rocks! If you ride for speed and air camber has no competition. A tad reverse camber in tips can be nice for deeper snow days.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #54 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
You sir are a craftsman, if you lived near me I would happily pay you to do mine.
Haha cheers mate.
If the boards im going to start pressing come out good I will bring a few over with me for you guys to try out. They do have 15mm camber but I may make a rocker version for hakkoda seeing as it has no groomed runs at all so a hakkoda board may as well be a big banana.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
teensnowboarding You aren't alone. Plenty of riders still want some camber in their deck. The trend (if there is one) out of SIA this year was more moderate rocker shapes and the addition of cambered sections into many rockered designs (either Camber Rocker Camber or Rocker Camber Rocker). Pure Camber has become small (less than 30 percent) for 2013 (and even that seems large based on what I was seeing), but it is definitely present and still available. I know that for us, we sell the rockered models that we carry very well as there are less available to choose from. To answer your question, for sure there is a group of experienced riders that still want camber only.
HI. Would you happen to know why these riders only want Camber? thanks
zakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakuma View Post
I would imagine because Camber has the best stability at high speeds and not everyone is into the tricks, spinning and jibbing. Thats just my guess.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #57 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's nice for jumps. I can notice quite a bit on my rocker board that it washes out on landings after I try to spin and land on edge.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #58 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

If you stomp down, you can send it on a reverse camber board just like a camber board. There are also reverse camber boards that handle speed and chop just as well as regular camber boards; this is more a product of good damping than camber shape. Really, anything you can do on camber you should be able to do on reverse camber as well as all the hybrid shapes (R&C, camber with rocker tips, flat, flat with rocker etc) after riding a little bit and getting a feel. Some camber shapes make some things somewhat easier or feel different underfoot so really, it's boils down to preference.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #59 (permalink)

perhaps its just me.....

im 5'10" 200lbs

my solomon is a 158, my Coda is a 161.

lately I have been riding an Arbor Coda (coming from a solomon official camber). The coda has a parabolic rocker. I had all the typical preconceived notions. I assumed it would be Pivoty when flat basing on those long groomers. I was preparing to have my back end wash out when I landed backseat. I expected to lose stability when carving at high speeds.

It felt as stable when flat basing as my camber - I couldn't tell a difference. I FLEW down runs and it held an edge like a goddam wolverine. and not once did I wash out when landing backseat.

I realize that every board is different, and I guess that's my point. Lumping boards into + or - camber is an over simplification. There are SOOOO many variables to consider, from rider ability/preference, riding conditions, edge alterations (magne traction/vario/GripTech etc)...
marcdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakuma View Post
There are plenty of reasons that we hear. Tons of stored energy/pop, Full running length in contact, most dynamic transitions from edge to edge. For some they are used to it, like it, and it is just what a snowboard feels like. This is definitely not to say that all experienced riders want only camber, just that there is certainly a group that does. Every design has benefits and drawbacks. It is a series of hits, preference and compromise.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote