Does anyone still PREFER camber? - Page 7 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #61 (permalink)
Resident poet

This page has some relevance

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-misery-2.html

Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdeo View Post
perhaps its just me.....

I realize that every board is different, and I guess that's my point. Lumping boards into + or - camber is an over simplification. There are SOOOO many variables to consider, from rider ability/preference, riding conditions, edge alterations (magne traction/vario/GripTech etc)...
Pretty much spot on, although IMHO camber and flex are the biggest factors. I've demo'd a lot, and found I need two... My Rome Anthem (161cm) is a traditional camber. Great for fast and steep. Riding gates is smooth and stable. The midrange flex gets me lots of pop when I want to get air, but it's terrible for butters and park or any trick that doesn't involve launching off a hit (jump 180s take a lot of effort). My Burton Custom (154cm) is a flying V and is fun in the park, unassisted pops or ollies (as opposed to launching off a hit) and general dancing around (It pivots easily). On faster terrain (steeps, gates, etc) I have to put a lot of effort in scrubbing off speed to keep it stable. The traditional camber under feet allows it to carve nicely at moderate speeds, but the flex and reverse camber between the feet makes it pivot unpredictably at higher speeds. This season I've tended toward more park riding, so my Rome is getting little use, but I don't think I'll ever give up the traditional camber entirely.
Snowrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #63 (permalink)

I'd recommend starting with some sort of hybrid version. To go from camber to a full rockered deck doesn't seem like the smartest thing. I have been riding a K2 Parkstar lately and have loved it.

This weekend I got a YES Basic with camrock and it is pretty awesome. Felt comfortable on it 20sec into riding it and on my first run was riding thru icy glades with it no problem. For a board on the cheaper end of the spectrum is def something to consider.

I have also own a NS Legacy and K2 Slayblade.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #64 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just rode a camber board for the first time almost 2 years over the weekend, and yea I'll never go back if I don't have to. Way more work in the powder and much more effort to muscle it around for tight turns.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #65 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have quite a few friends that have stuck with traditional camber. It works just fine for them in everything from park to trees to pow, as it has since the beginning. Like others have said though, I'm over it though, and am all about the hybrids.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #66 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Not that I'm a racer or boarder-x guy, but I usually look to sports to give me a perspective.

The Kessler boards use a camber with "lifted tips" profile that I guess people could call rocker-camber-rocker if they really wanted, but I think it's just that the tip portion starts to rise earlier.

Personally, I ride is stiff as F*^& camber board, I ride the shit out of it, yes it takes more muscle through powder but I don't snowboard because it's an easy thing to do. I don't have anything against flat or rocker boards, but add me to the Camber Camp.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #67 (permalink)

i personally ride a rome artifact as my main board, its the cambered version....powder wise it holds up great, but when there is a REAL powder day i take out my ride machete, (low-rise rocker) which flys thorugh powder like its nothing
Mattizhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #68 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Camber, and a JJ Hovercraft rocker, camber, rocker for pow days.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #69 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattizhere View Post
i personally ride a rome artifact as my main board, its the cambered version....powder wise it holds up great, but when there is a REAL powder day i take out my ride machete, (low-rise rocker) which flys thorugh powder like its nothing

Thread's over a year old, and now that I've had more time on various camber boards, I think I like camber with a lifted nose the best. Had the stiff heavily cambered T7 out in deep powder the other day, and I noticed myself having to work at a slope that would normally be fun. This was a mild slope so I had to head down the fall line and stand back more. The lifted nose shape on my other board makes it feel more surfy.

Also, the other board rails harder than the T7, so I think carving has more to do with effective edge and other board specs than camber profile. That said you won't find me riding a "moustache rocker" any time soon!
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #70 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Camber is the only thing I can ride in a halfpipe...
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote