Does anyone still PREFER camber? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone still PREFER camber?

I've ridden on high-end cambered decks for 12 or so years and I have been researching/looking for a new board with some new technology for a couple months. I've demoed one rocker (meh) and have never been on a hybrid. The more I research things, the less I am certain that I actually want something with a new shape.

So that begs the question...are there any experienced boarders who simply prefer a cambered deck?

Or is there something I am missing?
easton714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There are plenty. It all factors into your riding style and comfort. I had 3 camber decks before hybrid and it was a "night and day" difference when I switched.

Not everyone will be so impressed.

They still make camber decks for a reason...and it's not for filler to keep on the shelves.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton714 View Post
I've ridden on high-end cambered decks for 12 or so years and I have been researching/looking for a new board with some new technology for a couple months. I've demoed one rocker (meh) and have never been on a hybrid. The more I research things, the less I am certain that I actually want something with a new shape.

So that begs the question...are there any experienced boarders who simply prefer a cambered deck?

Or is there something I am missing?
You aren't alone. Plenty of riders still want some camber in their deck. The trend (if there is one) out of SIA this year was more moderate rocker shapes and the addition of cambered sections into many rockered designs (either Camber Rocker Camber or Rocker Camber Rocker). Pure Camber has become small (less than 30 percent) for 2013 (and even that seems large based on what I was seeing), but it is definitely present and still available. I know that for us, we sell the rockered models that we carry very well as there are less available to choose from. To answer your question, for sure there is a group of experienced riders that still want camber only.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Having seen it in person but not yet ridden it, I am leaning Unity Dominion for this very reason. Mild camber under foot (I do not like the idea of a pivot point between my feet) with a nose rocker.

Thanks guys.

The plain ole rocker I demoed was not a cheap one (Venture). I liked it enough and thought I was sold - but then I spent two days on my Rossi Premier (maybe ten years old) and I couldn't say I didn't like it better. Edge hold, carving, and stability at speed felt better on my old deck.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just don't want to be the guy who was the last to get a cell phone because he didn't think he needed one. I am a big technology guy but I want to know what is being improved before I jump all in.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you cannot demo a variety of boards and your next purchase is going to be your main stick, I recommend sticking with what you already like.

If you're looking for a complimentary stick to add to your quiver, it might be fun to add a different shape. You'll always have the cambered stick to fall back on for the days you miss it. Heck, bring both boards to the mountain. I normally bring two in case I feel like switching it up.

With that said, I think you'll like boards with a camber section in between the feet and rocker in the tips. These handle closest to traditional camber boards but gives you the benefit of a rocker's float when needed.

Camber underfoot is also pretty good as you will constantly feel that camber section as you ride.

Never Summer's RC feels completely like a rocker until you engage an edge, then the camber takes over.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd never go back to camber(10+yrs) if that helps you at all...

On my n.s. the under the foot steering and control I get is just way to good to pass up. Switching back to my camber just felt sloppy.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

So far I (not a park guy...more a fr) perfer a cambered for snap, pop, response, stability at mach and blasting through chop. I had a skate banana...it was alright/fun for spring slush but dead feeling also have a charlie slasher rocker/flat/cam for deep poo and its very nice for surfing deep. But I plan on a through demo of a c2btx.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-31-2012 at 08:27 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I still ride camber. It just works better here in the east where we have a lot of hard pack conditions and edge hold is at a premium. I demoed a few rocker boards and combo decks last season and it just didn't work for me and my riding style fast/agressive, I felt out of control on them. Washy at high speeds and quite chattery. I also rarely ever touch the park....but maybe the rocker or hybrid setup would work better there. I do spend some time in the pipe as well, and can tell you that a bunch of people are still riding stiffer cambered decks there. The deck I have riden the most this season has been the Capita Quiver Killer from last season, I'm happy with it for a stiffer board with camber, and it didn't break my walet.
ithrowplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

The difficulty transitioning to a hybrid profile generally lies in the fact that
Each RC profile rides significantly differently from one another and from camber.
I dont think that a couple of laps on a demo board gives enough time to adjust to
The changes you need to make in your riding to get the most out of whatever profile you are on.
I very nearly sold my NS raptor after two days solely because it didnt ride like any of my cambered boards.
I convinced myself that camber was the only way to go and bought a CX, what a mistake. Having put in the time on many
Cambered boards and now as of late on the RC raptor, I too am hopping on the "camber is dead to me" band wagon.

isle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote