Proto CT Questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Proto CT Questions

Hey guys, I've been trying to get my hands on a Proto for a month now after reading the plethora of love being shown for it here on the forum, and personally demoing it around christmas time, and have negotiated a good deal on either a 154 or a 157. So my first question is, weighing around 160 with size 10.5 vans aura boots(a little bulky), which size would you guys go with. Im used to riding a 156 cambered board and I know that since the proto has blunted tips it rides like its a size or two larger so I figured I could go with the 154 for a "funner" feel. On the other hand, this is gonna be my quiver killer so it would be in my best interest to go with a 157 to be better in the pow and all-mountain capabilities right? Its so tough...

Second question is what other boards out there compete with the proto in the do-it-all category? I fell so deeply in love with the proto after riding it for a day that I've been blinded to see any other options haha. But now that I'm close to finally pulling the trigger I wanted a final confirmation that I'm getting what's best for my money.

Thanks in advance guys,
Max
motica1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 155 lbs and ride the Proto CT 154 and consider it a freestyle board that is good outside of the park. The SL (I've owned or ridden the 2008-cambered, 2009, 2012 models) is what I would consider an all-mountain board that are pretty good in the park.

From K2 there is Parkstar (Proto CT) and the Fastplant (more like the SL), but I didn't find either of those particularly memorable.

I hear good things about Arbor (but haven't ridden them) Arbor Westmark or Blacklist (wide version) is comparable in "intended riding style" to the Proto CT. Coda matches up against the SL.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

at 160 the '54 is plenty board for you. I ride a 154 at 175.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Alright thanks I'm confident in going with the 154 now. I just read a review of the Rome Mod Rocker and there seems to be a lot of great feedback. How does it compare to the proto? Is it softer, more jib/park oriented? I really like the idea of being able to butter around and I felt like the proto was a tad stiff to really get creative, but it might just be my inexperience. I only have two days of experience on a rocker or hybrid shape. I've ridden my burton mayhem(cambered and super stiff) for two years so I was just learning how to press when I demod both a skate banana and the proto. Any other board sugegstions would be greatly appreciated
motica1 is offline   Reply With Quote