Went Snowboarding and was told I was a Natural! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Went Snowboarding and was told I was a Natural!

So, I've been a surfer for a few years now, but living in Northern Virginia, I don't get many opportunities to surf, so I decided to try snowboarding. I'm a pretty shy person, so talking about myself doesn't come easy, but here goes: I went out yesterday, had the mountain all to myself and took a lesson. The two instructors I was with were pretty shocked on how quickly I picked it up. Now my terms might be off, so I apologize, but they took me up on the first green run, and I was linking turns (S turns) by the end of the first run. We did two more runs on that green but then they took me to a blue run and we went down that and worked more on my S turns and some other turns they wanted me to learn.

So, now that the season is pretty much over, I want to look into buying my own gear. This is what I have so far:

686 pants 15K waterproof/10k breathability
Spy Orbit Goggles

So now to the question: Should I buy all new gear, or should I possibly look into buying used gear? I know I can save a bunch by shopping on the internet, but what things should I really look at in person first?

Thanks for all the help everyone, sorry for the long post

David
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

You really need to try on a boots, there is a post about buying boots at the top of this forum that is really helpful...After that you can get stuff pretty cheap this time of year....
BRsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

That is a good post, ok so I'm definately going to try on boots. So about boards, I know they aren't all the same, any quick tips to buying my first board? I rode a 156 yesterday.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gustov

yeah, definitely go to a store to try on boots and make sure they fit. bindings and board is pretty safe to just order off the internet, and now is a good time to do it. stuff is cheap at the end of the season. if you post your height, weight, shoe size, and type of riding you want to do (freestyle, all-mountain, freeride, whatever...) you'll get some suggestions on equipment.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I'm not sure what "freestyle, all-mountain, freeride" are, can you give me a quick description of what these mean? I guess just knowing what I do now, I would like to be able to do a variety of things on the moutain as I get better. Here are my specs though:

5 feet 10.5 inches
185lbs
10 to 10.5 shoe size

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gustov

Originally Posted by geline
And Why it is Important to Know the Difference

In the few decades that snowboarding has been around, a few distinct styles have emerged within the sport. These styles are characterized by their preferred terrain, their specific equipment and their own competitions.

It is important to know what type of snowboarder you are -- or are interested in becoming -- before you drop your savings on a new board/boots/bindings setup. Manufacturers carefully design boards for specific types of riding, and you don't want to make the mistake of buying a $450 big mountain board if you're going to spend all day in the pipe.

Freestyle

Freestyle riding is the flavor of the day. This style focuses on jumps, tricks, rail slides, halfpipes and switch riding.
Snowboard movies typically showcase freestyle riding; it is fun to watch and where pros can really show off their skills.

Freeriding

Freeriding is the most general style of snowboarding and has correspondingly versatile equipment. Like freestyle, freeride equipment uses a soft boot. Boards in this category are relatively longer and more directional in their shape. If you don't know what kind of terrain you like, or know that you like everything, this is your category.

Freecarve / Race

This often overlooked style of snowboarding focuses on carving and racing. Sometimes called alpine snowboarding, freecarving takes place on hard-pack or groomed runs and focuses on the ultimate carving turn. Little or no jumping takes place in this discipline.

As a beginner, it is advised that you should look for a good all-around design, most likely a freeride or freestyle setup.

sorry, i'm too stupid to actually quote it how i'm supposed to
Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you use (quote) (/quote), except the () are []. Anyways, I say go get your own new stuff at this point, as the prices are really low. Just get the boots in a store so you know how they fit and stuff.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

For right now I think I'm in the FreeRide category, maybe moving into Freestyle later on... I don't want equipment that will limit me too much to only one style starting out
Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Get an all mountain board. Pretty much every company has them. You can get a great deal at this time as well...
BRsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gustov

i would look at rome, ride, nitro, atomic, burton, never summer, for a board. those are all high end brands, and they'll tell about what each of their boards is best for.

for bindings, rome and ride i hear the most about, but any of those brands ^^^ i'm sure will have good bindings, and will also tell what each is best for.

look around for a good deal.

for boots, i don't think brand is too important, just make sure they fit. look a the boot fitting guide to know how they should feel.

good luck