GNU Magnetraction, MTX, twin direction w/harmonics - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
march30th1988

Default GNU Magnetraction, MTX, twin direction w/harmonics

Hey wussup all.. I went snowboarding once like 3 years ago and taught myself to go down the slopes... I rented a board that one year... it was fun... so now I want to get a little more serious and snowboard forreal so I want to get my setup for next year... All my friends have "burton" which I've totally heard of before and totally respect that, but they only get it cause shaun white has it and its a "good" board. I've delve into research and came across teh GNU and some k2 boards that will probably murder their boards if a correct snowboarder was using it. But here comes a couple of questions. What is the Magnetraction? What is the MTX, and what is the twin direction w/harmonic option? THis is on tightboards.com. Also, I live in California, so i travel to lake tahoe, squaw, borealis, etc. etc. Can you guys give me suggestions on that? OOH! One more thing... Bindings with toe caps or no toe caps? I have no idea what the different bindings do.. I just want to learn about snowboarding by people who's been doing it for a while, not my friends that think they know if give me shitty ass suggestions that wont matter when im up on the slopes... Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Best
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
march30th1988

Default Forgot

haha also, im 20.... 5'7.5 to 5'8... my shoe size is 11, and approx 175.. but fluctuate... I am weight lifting as well... sorry for not including that... and I'd want to learn how to spin and grind and all that stuff.. but want a good board to control... and not fall on my face as much.. haha
Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm no expert, but I think I can help a little.

Burton makes good boards, but so do many other companies like GNU, Lib Tech, Rome, K2, Ride, Nitro, Arbor, Neversummer, just to name a few.

GNU and Lib Tech are made by the same company, Mervin, and make great boards. Magnatraction and MTX are the same thing, MTX is just an abreviation. In very simple terms, MTX is a Mervin technology that uses a wavy edge to the board instead of a straight edge to create more points of contact with the snow. Normal boards have two contact points (nose and tail) but MTX boards have 6 or 7 I think. This helps hold your edge better in hard packed snow or ice. I've never tried it but heard it is great.

For bindings, I really like the toe cap rather than the toe strap. Way more comfortable IMO and I like how it pushes my feet into the binding. I have Rome bindings with the conformist toe strap that can be used as a toe cap or strap. It uses a stretchy material that forms around your toe when you tighten the strap. I can crank those things as tight as I want and still don't crush my toes...like my old bindings.

Hope that helps.

Oh yea, I have heard bad things about tightboards.com
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
march30th1988

Default thanks

ooh right on man.... what is ICS... i saw someone talking about it on the forum... thanks for your help though... I think I'd go for the MTX... hmm what did you hear about the tightboards? just let me know.. so I look for other places to search up... umm... what board size should I get? I really don't know how to size up this matter here... thanks...

Travis
Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ICS is Burton's take on the ILock system used by Forum the past few years...basically instead of inserted holes for your bindings to get screwed into, you get a slider.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
march30th1988

gotcha.. thanks... could someone help me on board size?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It depends on the style of riding you prefer. You mentioned spins and grinds, so you may be looking for a park board. If so, at your weight, you will probably want something around 155-157. With size 11 boots you may want a board with a little wider waist (i.e. narrowest part of the board). This would be a mid-wide or wide board with a waist of 260mm or more. However, you could probably get away with a normal width board as well, but not too far down in the 250s.

Oh, and to search for boards I'd read about them on the board company's website and dogfunk.com. For deals, I'd start with dogfunk.com, sierrasnowboards.com, evogear.com. Sierra probably has the best deals right now.

Last edited by schmitty34; 03-13-2008 at 10:06 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote