Feedback on next board purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feedback on next board purchase

Looking for a little input from you guys on my next board purchase.

I'm 6'2 185lbs where size 12 boots (2011 K2 T1s BOA) and for the last few years have been riding a GNU Carbon High Beam with Magnetraction (164cm) (Gnu CHB Wide Magne-Traction 164 (2008) -SALE) with Rome Targas. I'd call myself an intermediate rider - haven't been hitting any blacks and enjoy carving, hitting some natural jumps and ideally like to get into some glade runs and more off piste - I don't play in the park and would like to get a shorter board that would be more maneueverable I think my current one is a little long. Most of my slope time is in the mid-atlantic (PA & MD) with an annual trip to Snowshoe and usually at least one trip out west a year.

I've had people recommend the Rome Agent Wide & Reverb Wide as well as the Attack Banana, Banana Magic and Rider's Choice from Lib Tech / GNU. Also seen a lot of love for the Never Summers on this board which I've never ridden.

I'm a fan of the Magnetraction which took a little getting used to a few years ago but it seems a lot of other board companies have similar technology these days.

No price cap so any recommendations would be appreciated.
sollerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you like your GNU with MTX then it may be safe to stick with another Lib/GNU. Based on what you describe as your riding style, I think some good options are:
GNU RC - has wide option and sounds like it fits what you are looking for
Lib TRS - fits what you are looking for but may not be wide enough
Lib TRice - may be a little stiffer/advanced for what you want
Lib Skunk Ape - plenty wide
Lib magic or attack bananna - both have wide options but may be more board than you really need

NS could also be very good to look at too. Don't have MTX but have another grip tech that helps.
Legacy, SL and Proto CT would be good onese to look at. I forget the width options for these though.

Lots of other great boards to consider, but that's a decent starting point.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just a couple comments: You say you don't ride in the park yet you want a smaller board. That is a little contradictory - usually a shorter board is better for park-pipe/freestyle riding while you would err on the longe side of your appropriate range for freeride/big mt. riding. With that said, at 185 I'm guessing you comfortably fall in the 160+ range for most boards so if your current board feels too big you could go down a little. Check recommended weight ranges for particular board once you narrow it down.

With size 12 feet, you'll want at least a mid-wide, if not a wide board. If you can do a mid wide without toe dragging, it'll be a little more responsive than a full wide.

I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations on brands, but there are many boards that fit your profile. Avoid park/pipe and total powder big mt and look for all mountain (freestyle/freeride) boards from each manufacturer. I haven't ridden Rome, but i've ridden and like these brands (with all mt. wide options in parentheses): Ride (Machete, Antic?), Lib-Tech(Skunk Ape), Rossi (OneMagtek?) and NS( Legacy, Heritage X?).
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Should have been more descriptive of the current board in that it feels a little long to me. Not looking to go down to the mid 150s in board length, but somewhere around 158-161 depending on the board and the related tech.
sollerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

At 185 id go with a 157-160 no more
Njnotorious92 is offline   Reply With Quote