What do you guys think about this deal? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do you guys think about this deal?

A friend of mine is selling his 2006 Burton Custom, 2009 k2 Ever bindings, and 2006 Thirtytwo 305 boots for $350. The board does have some noticeable scratching on it, however nothing substantial.. I mean it's 6 years old, I don't expect it to be new. I figured that you can't really go wrong with a Burton Custom.. Before demoing it for a day, I was kind of skeptical about the "Auto" system on the bindings, but they definitely hold up. (Lightest binding I have ever held) Do you guys have anything to say about the Ever's? They are a few years old and It's hard to find info on them. The boots fit like a dream, but I must say.. They are pretty damn heavy. However, in their defense, they are extremely comfortable.

I'm probably going to buy into this deal, I just wanted some input from people who really know their gear as I lack some of the necessary intelligence. Any part of the board I should do away with and perhaps look for something else on ebay?

By the way, I should mention that I am generally an all mountain rider. I like shredding, bombing, getting massive air and then I proceed to pull off some earth-shatteringly? sick 180's (maybe a few 270's as well haha). I ride mostly groomed stuff with occasional powder.

Thanks,
regards
Jhucke
Jhucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
d15

Way too much for age.

You might as well find a snowboard package that's brand new for something in the $400-450 range.
d15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

6 year old boots are worthless and should not factor in to that price at all. Would you pay $350 for the board and bindings alone? (Hint: you shouldn't.) I would say maybe $200 is more fair. That board is even in good condition worth maybe $100. You can find newer boards for ~150 used at Geartrade:

GearTrade - All Mountain Snowboards

Might be able to find a pair of bindings there too, or on craiglist or something, or even spring for a cheap pair of new bindings for another $125-150.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's a terrible deal. 6 years old! I have a VCR i can sell you for half the original cost too if you want.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

dude, when I got my 2007 burton custom and 390 rome bindings brand new back in 2008 i paid <400 for both

that's a total rip off
Shazkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhucke View Post
A friend of mine is selling his 2006 Burton Custom, 2009 k2 Ever bindings, and 2006 Thirtytwo 305 boots for $350.
If he's really a good friend he should just give it to you, that's what I'd do if I had an old board sitting around and a friend who needed a snowboard. That's way too much for that setup, maybe something closer to $100 would be fair.

Last edited by Rufus; 02-03-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Total rip-off. A certain rule of thumb that people have used (at least in other sports, such as Mountain Biking) is that used product goes for 50% of MSRP, and then take 10% off for ever year after that. So if this board was $600 new, $300 and then 10% off for each year after... so that board is worth like... $120.

6 year old board = old tech, heavier weight.

Boots = I wouldn't wear anyone else's boots, ever.

Bindings = I think those are decent bindings, but again - older tech.

I've seen plenty of deals on craigslist for people selling their old gear, sometimes even last year's boards + bindings for like $200. Example, a few months ago I saw a 2010 Burton X8 board with 2010 cartels on it for $200.

Your buddy is ripping you off.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay well thanks guys! I appreciate it. I told him I just texted him, hoping he'll reconsider his offer. It's good I came here before I bought... Now I have absolutely no idea what board to buy, however. Anything I should look out for on ebay, or gear trade for an all mountain rider?

Thanks
regards
Jhucke
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Older boards aren't always such a bad thing. My 2004 Burton Se7em is still my favorite board I've ever ridden. The 2008 mission bindings on it are pretty much the same as the 2011 mission bindings that I have on my new Hero minus the inward curved high backs.

$350 is still a steep price for that used setup but if you like how it rides than its more about how much its worth to you... and how little hes willing to sell it for. It might be a good idea to skip the boots but if they're comfortable and you like the softer feel of an old worn in boot then go for it.
Solace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace11 View Post
$350 is still a steep price for that used setup but if you like how it rides than its more about how much its worth to you... and how little hes willing to sell it for. It might be a good idea to skip the boots but if they're comfortable and you like the softer feel of an old worn in boot then go for it.
Now that I really think about it, $350 for 6 year old gear sounds like a hell of a turn off. I can buy a brand new Burton Hero for $300 with some other bindings for about $150 probably.. I would rather spend $100 more for some newer stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if the EST track thing on the burton boards intrigue me very much. I was really interested in some Rome or Union bindings, but if I buy that $300 Hero, I'll be forced to get some inferior burton bindings. What other boards would suffice?

I'm sorry, I'm just totally lost in what I should buy in terms of boards..