Dutch girl looking for board-advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Dutch girl looking for board-advice

Hi guys and girls,
I am a 29 year old female from the Netherlands, and I'm in need for some help choosing the right snowboard for me. I'm hoping to get some good advice here!
Some info:
- height: 5"10
- weight: 155 lbs
- size boots: US 9
- experience: about 3 weeks, but I'm a quick learner so they say. Years of skiimg experience.
- location: mainly Austria, but sometimes France, maybe later Italy or Switzerland
- location on the mountain: groomers, but I really like to practise some jumps/butters and stuff on the sides of the groomers. I also like some powder/off-piste, and maybe in the future sometimes a box/rail, but no big air or halfpipe. Basically, I think all mountain, freestyle oriŽntation
- last rental board was a 155cm Salomon Drift rocker, my first rocker-board. The rocker I liked, so I prefer a rocker or maybe hybrid construction. I'd like a board that's not to hard to get started on, but, if it's possible, has some 'room dor improvement'.

Ofcourse I tried to do my homework, but I'm getting lost a little. The boards I'm considering right now are:
- K2 Vavavoom 152 (I have an option for the 2011 model for Ä230,- which is about $280,-)
- K2 Fling
- Gnu B-nice
- Gnu B-street
- Ride Compact (but I think the graphics are pretty dark, I'm not the most girly girl but I do prefer bright colors)
- Ride Promise
- Roxy Ollie Pop
- Roxy Ally
- Bataleon?

Anyway, if some of you guys/girls are willing to give me some guidance, that would be great. Please keep in mind that some of the brands are not available in the shops here (like Never Summer for example).
Ofcourse, any advice for bindings will also be very much appreciated!
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My personal choice was a Rome Lo-Fi with Camber(As they make a V-Rocker version too); I'm not sure you can get it in your stores but it is a killer board. This is also my first season snowboarding, but like you, I had many years of skiing experience to help me along. The Lo-Fi is my second board; it was told to me by our local shop that this was more of a advanced board, but would be something I would be able to grow into. It is a cambered board, and is still soft enough that I can play around on any of the stuff at the park, while still cutting some sweet lines through the groomers. Not sure how it would handle thick pow, as the only snow we seem to be seeing is man-made and packed down tight. An awesome all-around board. Another board that was suggested to me by a couple other people was the Roxy Envi. The guy at my shop said it was an excellent board, though I can't really say much about it, as the Lo-Fi was my first choice.
Solace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Solace for your quick reply, someone else (a guy from a shop nearby) also suggested the lo fi, but then the rocker-version. The specs and reviews of the board sound great. I think I'd prefer a rocker-shape, I'll certainly consider this board. Which size would you advise? And which bindings do you have, and are they good?
Ofcourse, other considerations/opinions will also be appreciated!
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

Gnu b pro...152 if you are a casual or 155 if you are aggressive...but sounds like you did ok on the 155 drift. B pro is a good all around board that will handle any terrain or snow and that has capacity for you to develop lots of skills.

check out

http://www.shayboarder.com/
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Out of that list, the premium boards would probably be the GNU B-Pro, and the Roxy Ollie Pop. If you want a softer board, the Ollie Pop is ideal. If you want a stiffer board, the B-Pro or the Roxy Eminence is a good choice.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you can, try to demo a hybrid. I agree with the other posters on board suggestions, but if you end up liking full rocker over a hybrid, some of the choices won't work as well for you.

I ride the B Pro and love it; it is definitely one to consider if you end up liking hybrid camber and are progressing quickly. It will be a board you won't "outgrow" too soon. It's pretty fast and like cocolulu said, on the stiffer side (but not a plank); and the Eminence by Roxy is pretty similar. Like wrath said, the B Pro is a good all around, handle anything kind of board.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Women's GNU Park Pickle, my wife swears by that thing. I have to say her skills have shot up ridiculously since she started riding that thing.
She's not even a park rider, all mountain. She's killing the steeps on that thing too.
It seems to be like the Skate Banana (Designed as a Park board but really an all mountain slayer)
marcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

In response to your board length question with the Lo-Fi; I used to ride a 154 with my solace, but I when I went to purchase my Lo-Fi the guy said that I didn't need that long of a board. It needs to be at shoulder height I was told, so I ended up getting a 147. The response from the Lo-Fi is so quick and clean, it doesn't hesitate or wander, so if you want a better response from your board, I'd say stick around 149(seeing you are 2 inches taller than me) or whatever your shoulder height is. If you want something more stable for bombing down runs, then I'd go for something a bit longer. My bindings are Ride Ex(Mens- Always more of a selection), and Ride Anthem Boa Coiler Boots(Also Mens). These bindings and boots were pretty inexpensive- $310 bought new, but they are excellent as far as quality and performance goes. The bindings are a bit on the stiff side, as they do not really allow the board flex much around the bindings area because of the aluminum bases, though that is sort of the way I prefer it. I ride goofy R-15, L-0 and it seems to even out the instability of having such a short board. Let me know how it goes, and best of luck.
Solace11 is offline   Reply With Quote