Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   looking for an upgrade (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/46364-looking-upgrade.html)

SkittlesRgood 02-04-2012 10:35 PM

looking for an upgrade

I currently have an 08 ride fleetwood 161. the board fits my riding style but its the only board i've ever had so I want to experience something better. I guess I mostly go for speed. I'm trying to clock myself at 50mph (need something to track it). I also like to go off trail and find some untouched powder. then every so often I'll touch the park. mostly only jumps, no spinning, I just like catching air. Working on landing the big ass jumps. there are so many options for boards I'm not sure what to get. I need to stick with a wide board. I'm fairly light so I could go with a shorter board but I dont want to give up speed, although turning easier sounds nice. looks like I want a camber because they sound the most stable at speed. but then i see variants of the camber (camber, rocker, camber) and i figure i need more experienced advice.

6'2" tall
160lbs
intermediate-advanced
11.5 boot
25 years old
like to keep it under $500
I ride in the sierras, lake tahoe.

I figure i might as well lump in boots an binding here as well if thats ok. I have burton missions from 08 that I want to replace for only one reason. I strip out the ladders on them every year. ive used them twice this year and i already have chunks missing. i like my bindings crazy tight. so if you guys know of a good binding that fits my riding habits that has a better ratcheting system, that would be great.

boots are 08 salomon dialogues. I like these boots a lot. I wouldnt mind looking into another lacing system. mostly wondering if they actually fit my riding style since I don't seem to know any better.

hope I gave all the info you guys need to help me out. sorry I dont have a starting point with options I've already picked through. Thanks for the help guys. and if anyone likes going to northstar I'm always trying to keep a full car when I go. usually have one seat open.

Basti 02-04-2012 11:04 PM

If you have an iPhone, check out the app Skitracks. Measures your speed, runs, and so on.

Nivek 02-04-2012 11:25 PM

Hmm, this is actually somewhat challenging. Flat is your best bet for the camber profile in my opinion.

If you can wait the Signal OG comes in Flat for 2013, its under $500 and great for what you want and you'll be able to keep it smaller cause its super stable, try the 155w. I weigh almost what you do and I ride the 151 everywhere.

If you don't wanna wait, look at maybe the K2 Slayblade, Lifelike, or Protohype, Ride Berzerker, or Nitro Blacklight.

SkittlesRgood 02-04-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basti (Post 478784)
If you have an iPhone, check out the app Skitracks. Measures your speed, runs, and so on.

does it track for altitude too? i had one last time we went that only seemed to track forward motion. so it said i went 40 on a fairly flat area. then still said i was going 40 when i was bombing down a steeper hill.

Basti 02-04-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkittlesRgood (Post 478795)
does it track for altitude too? i had one last time we went that only seemed to track forward motion. so it said i went 40 on a fairly flat area. then still said i was going 40 when i was bombing down a steeper hill.

It pretty much has everything and the speed check seems to be quite accurate. Check it out in the App Store, there's also a free version, though I prefer the full version which is about 79 cents.

?SKI TRACKS - GPS TRACK RECORDER? für iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G und iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G im iTunes App Store

SkittlesRgood 02-04-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 478794)
Hmm, this is actually somewhat challenging. Flat is your best bet for the camber profile in my opinion.

If you can wait the Signal OG comes in Flat for 2013, its under $500 and great for what you want and you'll be able to keep it smaller cause its super stable, try the 155w. I weigh almost what you do and I ride the 151 everywhere.

If you don't wanna wait, look at maybe the K2 Slayblade, Lifelike, or Protohype, Ride Berzerker, or Nitro Blacklight.

why flat over the camber?

Nivek 02-05-2012 03:04 AM

It's quicker edge to edge and will float a bit easier than camber.

SkittlesRgood 11-07-2012 06:21 PM

Finally pulled the trigger on a new board, and everything else. I went with a '12 ride highlife, '12 burton driver x boots size 11, and '13 cartels. I think that should stiffen things up for some great response at speed.

And thanks for the skitracks app basti. I got up to 55mph on the last trip last winter.