Beginner here. Need some buying tips. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
GeoffG

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Beginner here. Need some buying tips.

I've gone boarding twice now, and since it's ending the end of the season, I think Im going to try to pick up a cheap setup and save myself the rental costs next year. Im looking to spend around $300 on boots, bindings and board. I really have no idea what to look for. I don't need the best stuff as I will probably be staying at the beginner level for a while.
Im planning on hitting up Sport Chek on the weekend to see what deals they will have. Im 5'10, 170 lbs, and have around a size 10 boot. So what do you recommend for me? What should I be looking at? Any general info would be appreciated. I don't know how knowledgeable the people will be at the store, so hopefully I can get some insight before I head there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Augie09

check out sierrasnowboards.com, you can easily get a great setup right now for around 300
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
GeoffG

I don't know if I really want to buy online. Im not too keen on buying boots as they probably fit differently between companies. The last thing I want is to get the wrong size boot. I would much rather try things on first, so I would prefer to buy them at a store and maybe pay a bit extra.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good advice never to buy boots online, or at least try em in store first. Bindings and Board can be bought online though...there shouldn't be too much of a problem with that.

I'd suggest maybe the Sierra Crew on SierraSnowboard, apparently thats about the same as a Stairmaster but built for a little more all mountain...not bad for $150.

Board: Directional
Bindings: Burton Missions 07
Boots: Burton Freestyle 07
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Augie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
Good advice never to buy boots online, or at least try em in store first. Bindings and Board can be bought online though...there shouldn't be too much of a problem with that.

I'd suggest maybe the Sierra Crew on SierraSnowboard, apparently thats about the same as a Stairmaster but built for a little more all mountain...not bad for $150.
you can also get the stairmaster for $150 on sierra right now also.

TS, buy your binders online and board, but def. try on ur boots first. or at least be ready to return them if u buy them online
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
duckie

definitely take time to try on boots ...

as for bindings and board, do take suggestion to buy online if possible (check out stuff in stores first if needed).

you might want to give yourself a maximum budget limit, of course if you can get everything for $300 that will be great. from my experience and research ... expect around $200 for boots and another $200 for the rest.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

200 for boots?!

I went to a store, found some 07 Freestyle boots for 85, and they were good...a little heel lift but nothing terrible unless I'm toeside too much on square/diamonds...

Board: Directional
Bindings: Burton Missions 07
Boots: Burton Freestyle 07
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 AM

since you mentioned sportchek im gonna assume your from Canada???

They do have some good deals on right now, but if your in the souther ontario area around Kitchener Waterloo you might wanna try boardzone in KW, thier going outta biz, and have a wild sale on right now... although everywhere seems to have gear onsale...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode